Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 4:48am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meggaman7
    Holy CRAP. I didn't even see this one. It's almost worth it's own thread.

The phrases "Sifu Wong applies a Taijiquan technique against a Muay Thai knee" and "Using side kicks against a Muay Thai fighter" were enough to make me laugh and cry at the same time.
    Side kicks are quite effective counters when thrown by a competent kicker. Sanda fighters are one example. And unless you know how to get past them, they could be a problem.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde is another such example, that bastard.
    Last edited by Emevas; 3/05/2007 3:32pm at .
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 3:19pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In this day and age, is it really possible to simply say ''this is what you do against a boxer" ?

Is style vs style worth argueing anymore these days?

BTW, im stating the obvious but hey......

BOxing= horribly under-rated and underestimated.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 3:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that Clyde...

There are tai chi techniques against muay thai that work pretty well. They are basically upright grappling stuff like getting underhooks (although I've eaten elbows like this) and throwing them to the ground, not Montaigue-esque pressure point chi disruptions.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 2:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Clyde is another such example, that bastard.
    I asked my MT coach and his strategy was basically: circle right (assuming opponent is right handed), and move forward when you want to close in. Basically to move in the direction his front foot's heel is pointing towards. This makes it hard for him to kick you.

When he kicks, block it like how you would block a teep (always blocking on the heel side, not the toe side), then chop his supporting leg with a low kick, or left hook his head.

Told me that when fighting someone who likes to side kick, stay close, as its hard for him to generate enough power to hurt you, if you stay far, he can kick you hard.

Another strategy is to move slightly back when he kicks, to take off some of the power off the kick, then grab his foot, and chop his supporting leg.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by temppong
    "Fierce Dragon Crosses stream"

This is definitely sounding more like a sexual position than a fighting technique
    Not so much as "Fleshy Trouser Sword Does Southern Tresspass into Brown Town"
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/06/2007 10:34pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few months ago a friend of mine said he could beat me because he had been doing muay thai for like a month. He asked what kung fu responses would work against muay thai. First of all, I replied, I have done years more bag work and sparring, so I could beat you at your own game. Then, to be a dick and indulge his question with a smartass answer, I said that I'd counter a low kick by retracting my leg and chopping into his head with a sword using a legitemate kung fu technique.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 12:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blind leading the Blind

I just have one problem with the whole web site's illustrations no one in the video has intensty or the power of a real fight:gaygay: . It seems like alot of people teach techniques that wont work if you getting hit in the face or actually kicked thats why full contact sparring is needed pads or not its alot harder to make some pretty move when youre getting fead punches and kicks. How can they say this technique will work for example, no boxer leaves his jab out for you to manipulate it, the jab is ment to probe you and set you up, just seems like they are teaching "well i think this might work but I dont know how to box" kindof sad really. One of their students is bound to end up getting hurt. Another thing that bothers me is that the instructors are teaching things they need the student to repeat so it will work. Anticipation in a fight might pay off with a sweet move or take down hey you might even get lucky and K.O. some one but you can see with their guards and body movement it they anticipate wrong its a K.O. , or a curb stomp, and its going to be ugly who ever said "highlight real" was right one the money. Best Kung Fu fight I saw was a video of a girl fight, one girl threw jab and the other used a right handed outward block, then she crained over the girls jab grabbing and holding the hand, she then proceeded to piston punch the other girl in the face till she dropped.(seemed realistic application Kung Fu to me)
    Last edited by GMO; 3/07/2007 1:01am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The strength of the art can only be determined by the practitioner, but to say this is the definite way to beating a boxer is an insult to all boxing practitioners. A true fight is one that cannot be predicted, and anything can come out, and take down the opponent. For me, the only way to truly combat your opponent, is to know your arts, and techniques, as if they were second nature, and learn to utilize the tools you have, to the best of your ability. If a Capoeira master and a Boxing champ were to fight, who would win? It wouldn't be known, until they actually met, to test their skills, and each other.

Posted On:
    3/07/2007 1:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koiyuki
    The strength of the art can only be determined by the practitioner, but to say this is the definite way to beating a boxer is an insult to all boxing practitioners. A true fight is one that cannot be predicted, and anything can come out, and take down the opponent. For me, the only way to truly combat your opponent, is to know your arts, and techniques, as if they were second nature, and learn to utilize the tools you have, to the best of your ability. If a Capoeira master and a Boxing champ were to fight, who would win? It wouldn't be known, until they actually met, to test their skills, and each other.
    Having sparred with a few guys from other arts (kyokushin, shitoryu, sanda, TKD, boxing) it's always a challenge when you're sparring someone from another art for the first time. It's the unfamiliarity with their techniques and movement.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast