232505 Bullies, 3961 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan
    And what do you think of this demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2Hsothgrc#9pFEt38TQVU by Prof Ortega?
    Reminds me of Ke?po
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 2:27pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by napashifu
    Approx. how many techniques and forms are required for black belt in WHKD?
    For example I do tradional hard style, and for my black belt; I had to know 14 pinans(forms) and about 150 self defense techs. although some of the techs had multiple applications, ie-you might see one tech used against a grab-punch, rt punch, and a over club attack. so it was not like you were learning 150 seperate/differant techs. also had to do the basic throws, rolls/falls etc.
    10 kung fu forms, which are a lot longer than the pinans (the white belt form is about 80 moves). 10 each of the following: hand combos, kick combos, drop & recovers, throw & counters, offensive setups, defensive setups, walk exercises, kick counters; 21 punch counters, 30 chin nas. Many of these also have variations, aka punch counter 21, 21a, 21b, etc. Additionally, one must know and perform about 100 hand strikes, 100 blocks, and 100 kicking techniques. In addition, one has to fight 10 on 1 in various multi-man drills, spar a senior student (usually a black belt) at heavy contact, and be subjected to a variety of other drills meant to make you think and adapt. Also, you tend to get randomly attacked throughout the test. There is usually an hour+ of straight cardio drills (jumping rope is common), and a 30+ min horse stance where you are asked questions regarding martial arts history and our 25 Technical Fighting Princples.

Finally, they must submit a 4000 word essay (at least that's what I require) on a topic of your Sifu's choice.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 2:31pm

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
    As time goes on, I am looking at things differently than I did in the past. The long and short of it (no I don't mean the hair) is that if you just do what you learned, and you just do it how your instructor did it, and you never take the next step, then you have done your instructors, your students, and yourself a disservice.

Then: I used to teach it exactly the same way my instructor taught me.
    Now: I don't teach anything that he taught.

Then: Long testing
    Now: No testing

Then: Warmups and stretching the way that it was taught to me.
    Now: I try to keep in "the know" by talking with sports trainers and cross training.

Then: I thought my **** was unbeatable and didn't have to learn anything else outside of what I was taught.
    Now: I make it a goal to add something to my weaponry all the time.

Then: My body was a temple that I filled with cheeseburgers and beer.
    Now: My body is a temple that I fell with skinless chicken, spinach salads, and beer (haha, can't leave out the goods.)

Lots more there, but I think you get the point. And no. No mullet. No fucking bandana either.
    I definetly agree that instructors should adapt and not teach simply what they are taught. Wun Hop Kuen Do means "combination fist art" and it is a system without a system. The requirements/curriculum grows and adapts over time, as a result of the experimentation and cross-training done by its instructors.

The long tests, however, will never leave. It's a mandate. Without them, it's not WHKD.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    Finally, they must submit a 4000 word essay (at least that's what I require) on a topic of your Sifu's choice.
    What is and why, about your favorite Hawaiian dish mayhaps? :)
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like the kempo I've seen, maybe with some systema twirling. Note: I know its a demo but looking back on my kempo days its easy to make all this stuff work and not get hit against lunge punching. Especially zombie lunge punching where they hold out there arms for you to move, trap, hit nerves, break, etc.

Add in armbar at about 1:40 cause "its always been there, hidden in the forms"

I bet the guy could do a better more realistic demo (and still be good at it), and I would like to see it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123