Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brown, Traditional Hard Style. Under Sigung Pat Tyrrell.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac
    Brown, Traditional Hard Style. Under Sigung Pat Tyrrell.
    Another one.....

You guys do know your instructor used to have a mullet right?

edit* just realized you said Pat.....well anyway Dan had a mullet. I swear!
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Another one.....

You guys do know your instructor used to have a mullet right?

edit* just realized you said Pat.....well anyway Dan had a mullet. I swear!
    The earliest picture I have seen he is wearing tie dye Doors tee shirt and sporting a pony tail.

:-)

If I don't post again this month call the police, It means Sigung Dan did not appreciate my comment.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dmac
    The earliest picture I have seen he is wearing tie dye Doors tee shirt and sporting a pony tail.

:-)

If I don't post again this month call the police, It means Sigung Dan did not appreciate my comment.
    Haha! Did he wear a Japanese flag bandanna while teaching when he had a ponytail?

I wouldn't worry too much. I hear you lose your powers when one loses their mullet, and I'm sure the same goes for ponytails ;)
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:54am

Style: kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason
    I assume why is directed to towards the test length/difficulty so let me know if I am wrong.

Simply put, WHKD has very high testing standards. It's how Sifu Al Dacascos wants it, and thus how we do it. Rank is very hard to earn, although we do accomidate for physical disabilities, etc (ie someone with a bad knee won't fail because they can't do kicks to the head, etc).

Besides a "Sifu Al says so" position, it is because in WHKD (and I assumed all of Kajukenbo), the tests are part of the curriculum. They are meant to push you and expand your thinking regarding the martial arts. In addition to physical punishment, at our tests we have students apply their skills, combos, etc in new ways to help them learn how to adapt. As for the time frame (3 years for blue), it takes on average 8 years to get a black belt in WHKD, and each belt takes progressively longer, so 3 years is about right for someone with a good amount of physical talent, which this particular student has.

Approx. how many techniques and forms are required for black belt in WHKD?
    For example I do tradional hard style, and for my black belt; I had to know 14 pinans(forms) and about 150 self defense techs. although some of the techs had multiple applications, ie-you might see one tech used against a grab-punch, rt punch, and a over club attack. so it was not like you were learning 150 seperate/differant techs. also had to do the basic throws, rolls/falls etc.

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 1:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by napashifu
    Approx. how many techniques and forms are required for black belt in WHKD?
    For example I do tradional hard style, and for my black belt; I had to know 14 pinans(forms) and about 150 self defense techs. although some of the techs had multiple applications, ie-you might see one tech used against a grab-punch, rt punch, and a over club attack. so it was not like you were learning 150 seperate/differant techs. also had to do the basic throws, rolls/falls etc.
    Yeah I had 15 forms, 1 weapons form and over 80 separate techniques to demonstrate, PLUS a d34dly point sparring match or two, and a one page paper on "what it means to be a black belt" (my fav. weapon was for my 2nd test....I couldn't write about a howitzer alas...)

I also had to fight a bear...no wait...5 BEARS! At once! With my bare hands. Yeah, we don't do them like that anymore....insurance and all. Wish we could get back to the good ol' days where we fought bears on hardwood floors, and we didn't have AC in the summer, and ninjas lurked around every corner waiting to strike....*sighs*
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha! Did he wear a Japanese flag bandanna while teaching when he had a ponytail?

I wouldn't worry too much. I hear you lose your powers when one loses their mullet, and I'm sure the same goes for ponytails ;)

nope no bandanna, because he does kajukenbo keNpo karate
    , not keMpo-lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 1:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I had 15 forms, 1 weapons form and over 80 separate techniques to demonstrate, PLUS a d34dly point sparring match or two, and a one page paper on "what it means to be a black belt" (my fav. weapon was for my 2nd test....I couldn't write about a howitzer alas...)

I also had to fight a bear...no wait...5 BEARS! At once! With my bare hands. Yeah, we don't do them like that anymore....insurance and all. Wish we could get back to the good ol' days where we fought bears on hardwood floors, and we didn't have AC in the summer, and ninjas lurked around every corner waiting to strike....*sighs*
    so what was the average class like(training wise) when you were working your way up the the belts to black?

heres a brief description of what classes were like under when i was a colored belt.
    2 hour class.
    1st hour
    -line up by rank, kneel down put on belts, a moment of silent prayer, salute in .
    -warm ups/basics:
    1/2 -1hr. hopping in place 5-10 min. 4-count 50 jumping jacks, mt climbers, squat thrusts, and sky-ground-stomach, then run around the mats a few times, then work on kicks, rolls falls, stances up and down the mats with blocks and strikes, and forms and usually did some type of body conditiion.(hitting each other, in the stomach, ribs,biceps, thighs to get used to getting hit there)
    2nd hour. the fun stuff
    -partner up with the other people your level and work on your self defense, with the instructor telling you to hit harder,faster.
    -finish class, bow out.
    people usually had bruises, once in awhile bloody noses or split lips, once or twice i had some blood in the urine the next morning from getting hit in the lower back, and have had my cup cracked a couple of times from taking groin shots. Gotta love it.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could some one post Dan with mullet?

The idea of learning thru testing makes more sense now. We were up there and behind the table the bbs are going,"Let's try the one where the guy in the back comes in with a knife, with the guy on the side is using the bullship and while the two with bazookas aim from fifty yards." "Gee Sifu, don't you want to add the twelve crazy Filipinos with machetes?" "First blindfold him and tie his feet to his balls." "Oh, yeah, and throw in the two naked thirteen year old coke whores to distract him." "OK, and I'll get the Wesson oil and plastic sheets." "This time use the razor faster!"
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 3/05/2007 12:05pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And what do you think of this demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y2Hsothgrc#9pFEt38TQVU by Prof Ortega?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast