Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 10:17am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

For the R34L Martial Artists.

Another meaning for Martial Arts is Combat Skills or the Art of War. Real martial arts have always belonged to the military and to a lesser degree to law enforcement. Modern martial arts are incredibly complex including things like integration of air, land and sea forces, appropriate use of force, ‘command and control’, supply, transportation and lately nation building. A very small part of modern martial arts includes hand to hand combat.

The real martial artists are the brave people who are serving in their nations armed forces. These are the people who have and/or will put themselves in harms way for the defense of their homeland. Now matter what their military specialty may be, there are no easy or safe jobs in the military. They are living their martial art 24/7. They have gone through hard training and have become part of something larger than themselves. There are no individuals in these martial arts and every one must function as a part of a team. Your life depends on the skills of your fellow armed forces members, and theirs may depend on you.

So when individuals are training in what is commonly referred to as martial arts, they are really either hobbyists, involved in combative sports or Larpers. This is not a bad thing as long as you recognize what it is that you are doing, and what you are doing is not the Art of War. In the world of combat what you have learned would have very little or no value.

IMO, to use this forum as a vehicle for whiney complaints that your ‘art’ does not get proper respect and is too deadly for competition can become incredibly annoying. One, it is a disservice to those who truly are warriors and two it is a cop-out on competition.

Civilian martial arts are about the individual so the question is what can YOU do with your art. Get in the ring and prove it for yourself, or admit your ‘deadly art’ is a hobby. And as for too deadly to compete, do you mean to say that you have enough control that under the stress of a real fight you can finger poke an opponent, who is trying his best to do you harm, in the eye, but in the ring you can’t punch someone in the head? Bullsh*t!

I admit that what I do is a hobby, is enjoyable, improves my conditioning and may even make me more successful in a fight, but no way in hell would I call it martial or deadly.

Sorry for the rant but all the girly-man crying in some another threads (*coughchuncough*) got to me and I had to vent.

M1K3, LCpl USMC 1971-1974, no combat service.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right.

Unless we've beaten someone to a pulp (at the very least. Better if they're beaten till they're dead) we are just hobbyists.

Oh, and because I refuse to 'serve my country', I will never be one of those TRUE MARTIAL ARTISTS. How horrible.

Dude, let's not alienate the majority of people with one thread... Okay?

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    Another meaning for Martial Arts is Combat Skills or the Art of War. Real martial arts have always belonged to the military and to a lesser degree to law enforcement. Modern martial arts are incredibly complex including things like integration of air, land and sea forces, appropriate use of force, ‘command and control’, supply, transportation and lately nation building. A very small part of modern martial arts includes hand to hand combat.

The real martial artists are the brave people who are serving in their nations armed forces. These are the people who have and/or will put themselves in harms way for the defense of their homeland. Now matter what their military specialty may be, there are no easy or safe jobs in the military. They are living their martial art 24/7. They have gone through hard training and have become part of something larger than themselves. There are no individuals in these martial arts and every one must function as a part of a team. Your life depends on the skills of your fellow armed forces members, and theirs may depend on you.

So when individuals are training in what is commonly referred to as martial arts, they are really either hobbyists, involved in combative sports or Larpers. This is not a bad thing as long as you recognize what it is that you are doing, and what you are doing is not the Art of War. In the world of combat what you have learned would have very little or no value.

IMO, to use this forum as a vehicle for whiney complaints that your ‘art’ does not get proper respect and is too deadly for competition can become incredibly annoying. One, it is a disservice to those who truly are warriors and two it is a cop-out on competition.

Civilian martial arts are about the individual so the question is what can YOU do with your art. Get in the ring and prove it for yourself, or admit your ‘deadly art’ is a hobby. And as for too deadly to compete, do you mean to say that you have enough control that under the stress of a real fight you can finger poke an opponent, who is trying his best to do you harm, in the eye, but in the ring you can’t punch someone in the head? Bullsh*t!

I admit that what I do is a hobby, is enjoyable, improves my conditioning and may even make me more successful in a fight, but no way in hell would I call it martial or deadly.

Sorry for the rant but all the girly-man crying in some another threads (*coughchuncough*) got to me and I had to vent.

:eusa_sile :thebirdma U R A CLOWN:thebirdma :eusa_sile

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DANCE CLWN DNCE!!! :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated: :karated:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:09am

Style: JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    M1K3: Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, so I guess I'll try to briefly share some of my thoughts on your post.

No, I'm not in the Military. No I'm not a Cop (though I have several years of experience working as Security and BodyGuard). No, I don't claim to be a professional fighter (though I've been in many competitions in my day and I still "roll on the mat" or participate in friendly competition occasionally).
    But Yes - I do consider myself a Martial Artist.

For me it not just a "hobby", but it's a passion and in a sense a "way of life" for me, and Martial Arts has been a big part of my life and a part of who I am for many years.

I don't think that I need to beat the crap out of people or kill anyone to prove that I'm a Martial Artist. For me, at this point in my life, it's not just about learning a self-defence, but it's also a means of self-improvement as well a way to help maintain my health. I feel it also helps to improve the overall quality and oppertunities in my life as well.

I've also been in several real-fights in my lifetime (though I've never once started a fight and always do my best to avoid a real fight), and I believe that if not for my Martial Arts training that I would either have been seriously hurt or perhaps even killed.

There's an old Martial Art saying that goes something like: "Those who desire peace prepare for War". I hope I can live the rest of my life peaceful, happy and never having to hurt others. But if it comes down the need to defend myself, or in some case others, then I will use my Martial Arts training to do what I need to do and hopfully survive such situations if they should occur.

As far as I'm concerned, I feel that a Martial Artist should seek to AVOID a fight (I'm talking about a real fight, not sport or competition), and physical violence should be a last resort.

BTW, you say:
    The real martial artists are the brave people who are serving in their nations armed forces.
    , but did you know that sometimes the armed-forces will hire NON-military "Civilian Martial Artists" to help train them for hand-to-hand combat?
    Last edited by BigDon; 2/28/2007 11:21am at .

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:10am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coyote's response was the proper one. I was in the Marine corps and I don't consider.....**** that. It doesn't even need explaining:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :lame: :lame: :lame: :eusa_snoo :eusa_snoo :angry7: :angry7: :angry7:
    Last edited by debul937; 2/28/2007 11:15am at .

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HE R FUNNY CLWN R HE NOT???
    LOLOLZ!!!

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:17am

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread could use some insight from the good doctor Macgillicuddy

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:18am

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to post something remotely sensible about not being in the military but arguably having an equally valid application of my skillset..blah, blah ad nauseam....

But instead I will just say "For fucks sake M1K3..." and shake my head whilst tutting

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:24am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3

Hmm..... shut up. I'm going to be nice because I'm a nice person.

I'm not a military man. I have never "served" my country. Care to know why? Because the "Service" is chalk full of people just like you (idiots/morons/thickheaded and closeminded) who give the armed services a bad name. Now, lets take a look at some of the core values of "hobbyists" respect, personal growth, striving to reach your athletic potential. Nope, "Martial Artists" dont ever do those things! Look Marine go away. This thread is just as dumb as walking into an Army bar and yelling Semper Fi.... moron.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast