Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:17am

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

martial arts and body problems

i have realy bad tendinitis in both of my wrists and im looking to study an effective martial art.i want something that will be great for self defense but won't kill my body in the process.any suggestions?
    im a drummer by trade so i can't risk screwing up my wrists or ankles to where i can't play.but i reall want to take a effective martial art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:20am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Savate?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman
    i have realy bad tendinitis in both of my wrists and im looking to study an effective martial art.i want something that will be great for self defense but won't kill my body in the process.any suggestions?
    im a drummer by trade so i can't risk screwing up my wrists or ankles to where i can't play.but i reall want to take a effective martial art.
    hi dude... you've posted about the effectiveness of Aikido... I wouldn't consider aikido if you have bad wrists... or indeed any art that's going to look at hyper-extension as a normal part of training. You can't drum with a bad shoulder or elbow either, I guess? I would guess (depending on how bad your wrists are) that puts other grappling arts out of the question.

I'd say boxing is your best bet... make sure you use wrist supports or handwraps to help bolster your wrists. This also answers your self-defence question from the other threads, too.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:16am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your worried about wrist and ankle injuries do not go with aikido . Try some form of grappling like jiu-jitsu, judo or even wrestling,...hell even go with karate if you have any good instructors in the area. But as sochin 101 said make sure to tape up for protection in whichever one you do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:31am

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys.i have thought about striking arts before because of my wrist problems.
    also just to give you a bit of background on my wrists.i have had 2 surgeries on my left wrist for the tendinitis (in 1999) .i have not had any surgery on my right wrist but it is still very bad.i try not to shake hands with people because if i do so too much it makes my wrists hurt.if i use the computer too much it makes my hands and wrists hurt,same goes for playing video games.
    im fine for drumming if i warm up and stretch out before i play.but there are times when i have had to take a few days off of drumming because my hands where hurting from doing other things which made my hands hurt while drumming.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 7:34am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont do martial arts.

Take up Yoga for fitness and stay away from those crazy people that do BJJ.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a handgun class.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 8:26am

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I was wondering about savate is that the level of contact is, I understand, *generally * less than boxing/Muay Thai, but the training is less rigid and more alive than a lot (not all, Stuart A, before you shoot me!) of TKD. I have to say my experience in this is not personal, but 2nd hand, and may be inaccurate.

have a look at http://www.londonsavate.co.uk/technique/video.htm

Hapkido/aikido/JJJ/BJJ are likely to be more problematic as they involve either wrist manipulation or lots of grippng, unless you invest heavily in strength training to minimise your liability to tendonitis.

As with all things, however, you're probably best going to have a look at a class and a chat with the instructor.

Even if you tape up, there's going to be a risk, I guess.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 9:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman

Take Glucosamine.

I get these at Costco and drink one for breakfast http://www.jointjuice.com/How_Does_J...uice_Work.html

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 9:08am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    Take Glucosamine.

I get these at Costco and drink one for breakfast http://www.jointjuice.com/How_Does_J...uice_Work.html
    Thanks Ninjew!

I've been trying to remember to take the recommended six pills of glucosamine a day. I usually forget though. I'll definitely check out that stuff.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast