Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:11am

Style: non right now

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

most effective styles

what do you all think are the most effective styles for self defense? can you explane why you think what you think?
    i have been looking into taking martial arts off and on for years.there are so many choices to choose from.
    some of the styles that are in my area are:aikido,usa goju ryu karate,shito ruy karate and boxing.of these which style would you think is the nest for self defense on the street?
    i am willing to put the time into getting good at any style but i want to make sure that im not wasting my time with a style that is not effective on the street.
    being that im a noob and all here i hope that i posted this in the right place.i just wanted to post in a place that this topic would get serious discussion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:58am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman
    what do you all think are the most effective styles for self defense? can you explane why you think what you think?
    i have been looking into taking martial arts off and on for years.there are so many choices to choose from.
    some of the styles that are in my area are:aikido,usa goju ryu karate,shito ruy karate and boxing.of these which style would you think is the nest for self defense on the street?
    i am willing to put the time into getting good at any style but i want to make sure that im not wasting my time with a style that is not effective on the street.
    being that im a noob and all here i hope that i posted this in the right place.i just wanted to post in a place that this topic would get serious discussion.
    Of the styles you listed I'd say boxing (but hey, im boxing, that might make me biased).
    Rather than thinking about what might be most effective for several years , though, i'd just pick a MA and train a bit, if i was you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 5:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Furthermore this probably isn't the right sub-forum for stuff like this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:05am

Style: karate,judo,JJ,Aikido,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your best bet would be to look into each art that is available in your area, try and do some research into each style..i.e books ,videos..internet. See if the instructor would let you watch a class , take note if any of their self defense looks overly flashy or pretty straight forward. Each style has its own benifits and disadvantages. Its really up to what you are looking for in the art.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:15am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just go to a boxing gym

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but boxing does not have ground self defense or throws or locks and kicks and such.the striking is great but it has nothing else so it seems very incomplete.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingman
    but boxing does not have ground self defense or throws or locks and kicks and such.the striking is great but it has nothing else so it seems very incomplete.

Why did you put it in your list then?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:29am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you can box and wrassle a bit you dont NEED anything else. the last person i would want to get into a brawl with is a boxer. you dont kick someone on teh str33t unless their head is already on the ground and football will help you more in that department.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wei-chi-student
    Why did you put it in your list then?
    because i figured that it could be part of training if i add in more things like wrestling with it like alex just said.
    i was thinking the same things alex.so where would i find a good wrestling teacher or would i have to go to a bjj guy or someone like that?
    are there any styles that mix boxing and wrestling and some throwing karate and judo style?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 6:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you want to punch, kick, throw and fight on the ground. You might want to pick up MMA.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast