Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength training

I'm a noobie looking to start weight/strength training. I want speed and power so that I will be in shape for competition next Fall for martial arts training.

What do you recommend I do? I've never lifted before. ie. is bench the way to produce punching power?

I don't care about what I look like, so if I stay smaller that's ok. I just want brute strength and speed.

Apocal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:30am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    squats and milk

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:34am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Robot Jesus, you crack me up. I don't know where to begin with this guy, so I'm just going to ask, does anyone know any good free PDF makers and a good file sharing website that'll let me post my whole fucking program up?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:50am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    am i wrong?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:56am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, the OP is bullshit. He wants powah for "competition next Fall for martial arts training". First, he doesn' t even list what martial arts he is training, and second, what the **** does "competition for martial arts training" mean? :icon_scra
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 2:03am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YOU MUST PUNCH PANS OF HOT SAND! LOTUS POSITION IN SNOW! STAND UNDER FREEZING WATERFALL! THEN YOU WILL BE READY FOR MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 2:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the bench press is not the way to produce punching power. It helps a little but its just one factor in punching. BP only helps the chest arms and the back, while a proper punch also depends on your torso hips, legs and feet. It's a whole body movement.

The best kinds of strength training you can do for MA are things that engage the whole body. Mix it up and don't be afraid to get unorthodox. I love Carrying sandbags, flipping over huge tractor tires, A good one specifically designed for punching is dragging weighted tires behind you while walking with your arms facing forward. That gets your whole chain of muscles firing at once, which is the kind of strength you need.

Avoid Nautalis style machines that just isolates one muscle like the plague.

I would suggest not fixating on any one particular exercise unless it's squats :toothy10:

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 8:03am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BSDaemon
    No, the bench press is not the way to produce punching power. It helps a little but its just one factor in punching. BP only helps the chest arms and the back, while a proper punch also depends on your torso hips, legs and feet. It's a whole body movement.

The best kinds of strength training you can do for MA are things that engage the whole body.
    And that wraps up another episode of "Question, Snark, Snark, Answer."

See you again next time! :new_usa:
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.