Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 3:31am

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    I have no problem respecting the Japanese culture for its contributions to the World MA community. I simply get a little tired of everything being measured against Japanese arts as though they represented the de facto standard for the planet, thats all. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Sounds like righteous anger to me... Everyone knows that Koreans invented everything Martial and the damn Japanese took the credit!

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 1:50am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    I am back, and I can say kenjutsu cannot be self-taught, niether can any JMA

I have started H.E.S,

and truth be told am lot happier with this,
    H.E.S.??? Hippies Eating Sushi? Honor Elevating Strides? Hard Erect Strap-on?

What is this? Who're you learning from? And all those little questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 12:37pm

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "....Sounds like righteous anger to me... Everyone knows that Koreans invented everything Martial and the damn Japanese took the credit!...."

Thats a bit extreme but has a taste of truth in it.

The YAMATO culture of Japan had its roots in the PAEKSHE emigre's from the Korean pennisula of the 5th, 6th, and 7th century and Buddhism came to the Japanese islands courtesy of the Korean kingdom that sent Buddhist missionaries to Japan in the 7th century. The iron-work of the "sword" in the Japanese royal regalia is Korean in origin and if you do DNA on the Japanese ruling family it will trace back to Korean ancestry. Japanese horsemanship, metalurgy, battlefield tactics and rural administration all owe their origins to Korean sources. However, you are not going to get ultra-conservative Japanese groups to admit to anything except Amaterasu forming the Japanese islands from water-drops off her spear. I won't be too hard on those ultra-nationalists, though. They DO make great kamikazi pilots!

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/01/2007 6:39pm

Style: Tenchu Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um...............on second thought; never mind.

:beatdead:

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 11:27am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HES is probably "Historical European Swordsmanship" or the like. His style field says he now studies "longsword."

Posted On:
    4/09/2007 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess ARMA is better than Random Uncle-Do

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2007 10:17am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome back Spath.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2007 12:51pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    The YAMATO culture of Japan had its roots in the PAEKSHE emigre's from the Korean pennisula of the 5th, 6th, and 7th century and Buddhism came to the Japanese islands courtesy of the Korean kingdom that sent Buddhist missionaries to Japan in the 7th century. The iron-work of the "sword" in the Japanese royal regalia is Korean in origin and if you do DNA on the Japanese ruling family it will trace back to Korean ancestry. Japanese horsemanship, metalurgy, battlefield tactics and rural administration all owe their origins to Korean sources. However, you are not going to get ultra-conservative Japanese groups to admit to anything except Amaterasu forming the Japanese islands from water-drops off her spear. I won't be too hard on those ultra-nationalists, though. They DO make great kamikazi pilots!

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Booyah, Grandma. Booyah.

Does this mean sushi is the descendant of kimbap? :)

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:45am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese
    Thanks for the clarification. I guess ARMA is better than Random Uncle-Do
    actually not arma, who I'm learning from, isn't affliated with Arma, nor any of the HEMA organizations, he's someone whos a member of the S.C.A ( like I said in another thread he didn't learn his swordsmanship in the S.C.A, he learned while working for another organization that did Renn Faires)

and as for the random uncle-do thing, that was bullshit man (**** am I ashamed of myself)
    I lied, my uncle only ever taught a few kicks and that was it, if you wanna call me full of ****, go ahead I fucking deserve it.

Posted On:
    4/12/2007 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't beat yerself up over the uncle thing, at least you're smart enough to get out of it. Just be sure to take a lesson from it and check up on the people you learn from, especially if you're learning in their garage or backyard or something like that. And if you want to learn SCA combat, just join the org, there's a a bunch of opinions on it (such as is it just plain ole LARP-tastic or LARP-tastic Stick Combat?) but depending on the actual situation it's pro'lly better than what you were doing previously.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast