Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    LARPer......

Ok when I first browsed through this thread I would going to Trollshido this post for being "unproductive." But he is correct spathophile. You learned from a Uncle who showed "various" weapons and claiming that he "basics" are the same across the board for Japanese Kenjutsu is just plan wrong. You never studied in a dojo, did your uncle? Where?

You seem to know very little about sword and simply a Otaku that hates other Otaku because he is the "real deal." But in reality , they just remind you of yourself.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must admit, I do feel some sympathy for spathophile because I got into Martial Arts through sparring in my backyard. But truth is, it is a LOT better to learn from a teacher who can correct the mistakes in your technique which you might miss.

If you are attempting to learn a more common martial such a Karate or Tae Kwon Do than there should be no excuse for not finding a dojo if you live in a well populated city.

However, if you are trying to learn a rarer martial art, such as most European martial arts, then books and sparring are really all you can do. Personally, I am extremely interested in European martial arts from the Medieval and Renaissance periods of history, but as you might guess, it is rather difficult finding good groups who practice it (hint: where the obesity rate is less than 50%). By sheer luck I happened to find a good group who did Renaissance style fencing, but I still cannot find any legit Medieval martial arts group. So for now, all I can do is read up in the local library and on the internet (go ARMA!) and spar.

There is no shame in not learning from a teacher where one cannot be found, but I would definately recommend finding a good Kenjutsu sensei for your Japanese stuff.

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from that note to Spathophile, I'm going to try and bring back this discussion to its original path.

As a practitioner of primarily Western martial arts, I get supremely pissed of when people inform me of how the Katana could easily cut through any knight in full armour, and how knights wore armour that weighed 200 lbs. (50 lbs. to 60 lbs. is the average for a suit of practical full plate) and use swords that weighed 50 lbs. (one handers ranged from 1 lb. to 2.5 lbs. while two handers were 3 lbs. to 6 lbs., and 6 lbs. was considered heavy to wield.)

STEEL cannot cut through STEEL no matter how it is folded.

I am not an expert on Japanese swords, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. But to my knowledge, the reason the Katana has differential tempering is because the steel in Japan was not as high quality as in Europe because Japan is an iron poor country. In reality, a blade with a more homogenous temper is superior to a blade with differential temper (although I'm not 100% sure on this because pattern welding was also known and employed widely in Europe). Also, there is a reason why the katana is the same length as many one-handed European swords isn't just because the Japanese are short. It seems that Katanas lack a distal taper (thickness of the sword being reduced as you move away from the hilt), which makes them on average heavier than a European sword of the same length.

People who claim that Europe didn't have martial arts also piss me off, but that's another train of thought.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2007 10:09pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree Ethical Weasal:

People who claim that Europe didn't have martial arts also piss me off, but that's another train of thought.
    EVERY nation on the planet has a "Martial Arts" tradition.

From tribes like the Masai of Africa with their spears to Turkish wrestling combat skills span the globe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2007 1:08pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shane! Come back Shane!

. . . I think Spath has left the building unfortunately. There is definitely a "trial by fire" experience here, and some legit critics get mixed up with name callers--- and some name callers are smiling, some aren't.

Maybe he'll cruise back, get some good training info, etc..

(pan to western panorama with sunset, theme music swells . . . )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 8:43am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no problem respecting the Japanese culture for its contributions to the World MA community. I simply get a little tired of everything being measured against Japanese arts as though they represented the de facto standard for the planet, thats all. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 1:18pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    I have no problem respecting the Japanese culture for its contributions to the World MA community. I simply get a little tired of everything being measured against Japanese arts as though they represented the de facto standard for the planet, thats all. Thoughts?
    Some of that is simply time of exposure. People have had access to Japanese Martial Arts, especially the modern reformed arts like Judo, for nearly a century outside of Japan and these formed the major lense that Martial Arts are viewed through.

I think the attraction to "exotic" Martial Arts claims in the 60s through the 80s was a reaction to dealing with the rather straight forward non-mysterious aspects of arts like Judo and Karate of the 20s to 50s which didn't practice claims of "secret teachings" and the like. It was definately feed by the overall search for "all things occultly marvelous" that gripped the Age of Aquarius generation as well.

Posted On:
    3/16/2007 1:55pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking hippies messed it up again. I knew they're the cause of all my woes, this is just another tick mark in the book. And I believe martial arts are based off the JMA image is because of all the servicemen who trained over there and came back. I mean, how many bio's do you read on for Sensei's and Lineages state that the art was brought over by a white guy in an army suit?

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 1:25am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am back, and I can say kenjutsu cannot be self-taught, niether can any JMA

I have started H.E.S,

and truth be told am lot happier with this,
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast