Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/17/2003 10:34pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been rolling with a 230lbs guy lately, and you are correct Haksaeng. I thought I had well developed legs, maybe for kicking but not rolling.

Good advice.

==================
    "When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2003 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am totally with you there. I just came back from ACL reconstruction (surgery 10 months ago). I can once again deliver fast strong kicks, but can't hold the guard position on ANYONE - except possibly on my four year old!

X

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haksaeng: "What art do you practice LLL? There could be some exercises that give your a jump start in the sport-specific areas. It all depends on if it is a jumping and kicking and punching art versus something more grounded."

I used to do Kali, but I don't know if that's what I'll go back to. I probably try to find something resembling MMA or Shootfighting, but it's hard to find that stuff here. I'm definitely not going to do anything involving high kicks. I'll have to try those hindu push-ups for sure.

Posted On:
    8/19/2003 11:09am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    get the circular motion going, it does work the muscles differently than just a pushup

"I'm definitely not going to do anything involving high kicks."
    so no TKD?
    *rolls eyes*

there is nothing wrong with training yourself to be able to kick high, flexibilty is great

--
    Hard Work, Patience, Dedication

Fighting Multiples - http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2003 4:49pm

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is some other ways to do pushups if you are intersted LLL.

1. Stay in the up position for one minute and then go to down position and stay there for one minute. Do this as long as you can. 30 seconds is okay too.

2. Get three chairs. Put each arm on one and legs on another. Lower your body below the chairs when you go down.

3. Put your hands in a diamond and put your nose in it.

Don't try these unless you are good at pushups.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2003 9:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    blue-dragon -
    The push ups that you describe are indeed demanding. The only drawback I see is anytime you hold the exertion in a fixed position like that (isometric resistance training), you tend to build strength mostly in that position and become noticeably stronger in those specific postions but not as much through a full range of motion.

Try the exact same workout but instead of holding each extreme, try maintaining a slow and steady push up in each of the three positions where the downward motion takes 10 seconds and then the upward motion takes 10 seconds resting at each extreme for 5 seconds.

If you have been doing those for awhile, you will be able to do these sets better than most. But see if you notice a better burn in the intermediate stages.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2003 9:43pm

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I try something like when I use my free weights. Good comment Haksaeng.

The only thing promised in life is death, everthing else is achievement.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123