Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:39am

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo on a bad knee?

I might be heading out to California to do graduate school - and while I'm definitely continuing my BJJ training, I am debating whether or not to also start with the Judo club at the school.

Question is, I've got a pretty bad left knee from osteoarthritis (never had it MRI'd b/c I've got no interest in getting surgery for it), which doesn't prevent me from grappling, but I don't know if it would be a major hindrance with stand up. What are the chances that I might screw my knee up further if I do judo randori?

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrap it up and you should be ok

Here listen to the fabulous thunderbirds on the subject

[yt]51270i8F3mU[\yt]

Tag broken due to insufficient comedy
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 2/27/2007 5:22pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo can be pretty hard on the knees, I think quite a lot of the injuries sustained in judo are knee related.

This is of course my none medical opinion, and it really depends how bad your knee is but if you're in any doubts then I wouldn't do it.

Judo: the anti-trapple

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a good sports doc and be honest with him. If you go to a GP, their answer is always "stop doing that". You gotta find someone who gets athletes and knows you are willing to suffer a little. That kind of doc will give you the straight scoop.
    Best thing I ever did was find a doc who understands me. I'm in my late 30s with a ton of old work/sports injuries and had to find someone who knows I'm not quitting judo/jujutsu and comes up with real solutions. If a good sports guy like that tells you you're screwed, you probably are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur AMP
    You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Judo can be pretty hard on the knees, I think quite a lot of the injuries sustained in judo are knee related.

This is of course my none medical opinion, and it really depends how bad your knee is but if you're in any doubts then I wouldn't do it.
    How is it hard on the knees? I've seen a few throws where you drop down on your knees - is that where the injuries tend to come from? Plus, are the injuries the type that you get mostly when you are starting out, with the expectation that as you become more experienced there is less risk of getting your knee caught?

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Goldman
    Find a good sports doc and be honest with him. If you go to a GP, their answer is always "stop doing that". You gotta find someone who gets athletes and knows you are willing to suffer a little. That kind of doc will give you the straight scoop.
    Best thing I ever did was find a doc who understands me. I'm in my late 30s with a ton of old work/sports injuries and had to find someone who knows I'm not quitting judo/jujutsu and comes up with real solutions. If a good sports guy like that tells you you're screwed, you probably are.
    Good idea - I happen to know a good sports doc at work - I'll pick his brain. Pain I can deal with, but I don't want to do something that will put me out of training for more than a few weeks. I'm in my late 30's also, and live training is the only thing that keeps me from getting fat :toothy6:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:13pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by weechey
    How is it hard on the knees? I've seen a few throws where you drop down on your knees - is that where the injuries tend to come from? Plus, are the injuries the type that you get mostly when you are starting out, with the expectation that as you become more experienced there is less risk of getting your knee caught?

Thanks!
    injuries come when the throw was 90% there and you try to escape.
    most of the time you just get thrown.
    sometimes you get away.
    very very rarely, **** happens and someone gets a trip to the hospital.

one thing to consider
    if the worst case scenario were to happen (screwed up knee) would it affect your personal life?
    eg, you are a labourer and a screwed up knee put you out of work

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 5:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by roly
    injuries come when the throw was 90% there and you try to escape.
    most of the time you just get thrown.
    sometimes you get away.
    very very rarely, **** happens and someone gets a trip to the hospital.

one thing to consider
    if the worst case scenario were to happen (screwed up knee) would it affect your personal life?
    eg, you are a labourer and a screwed up knee put you out of work
    Nah...work will be fine, specially since I'm gonna be a grad student - i'll just not be able to roll, which will suck. Thanks for the input - sounds like knowing when to tap in BJJ - if you don't try to get out of something you shouldn't, then you won't get hurt .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 6:41pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get some Sambo shoes-- their smooth soles really protect your knees against twisting motions and protect your toes to boot. They're a pain to get ahold of from Russia, but well worth the trouble for the safety they provide. Avoid wrestling shoes at all costs for judo/sambo.

(of course check with the sports doc 1st)

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 7:45pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a fairly minor knee injury, and a randori session turned it into a fairly major one.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast