Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 11:41am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its kinda funny to see both sides squaring off on each other- hopefully it'll light the fire under the ass of the UFC for some better matchups. At the moment, Pride has put on much better shows and had better fight cards.

The heavyweight division belonged to Pride for a long time (and still does) but at least the UFC is attempting to better themselves after signing Mirko Cro Cop. Too much talent at the heavyweight for UFC to compete with Pride imo.

The light heavy division used to be UFCs as well until they lost so many fighters. As someone else said, how many times do we need to see Ortiz soundly destroy Shamrock in the ring. Its not like Nog vs Fedor, or Jackson vs Silva were. I personally believe that Liddell has good striking, but is so successfull at LHW in UFC because there are no other strikers in that division.

As far as the lighter weights are concerned, I think UFC has always been quite good there- they certainly have a stranglehold on the welterweight division. As far as Diaz losing his fights in UFC, he lost them moreso than his opponents "beat" him. None of the people that Diaz lost to convinced me that they were a better fighter.

As far as no one knowing who shogun is, they would find out pretty quick after he KOed Liddel.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 12:23pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Macho
    The one thing that pisses me the most is Dana (or anybody for that matter) talking about Diaz, Wandy or Shogun (or anyone of their caliber) as if they are washouts nobodies just because they had a short streak of loses or because they are not generally known to the herd of holstein cows that make up the UFC PPV market base.

Marketing or not, gimme a fucking break.

Sum of my feelings right there.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, Dana's an idiot with his Diaz fight. They got rid of him cause he lost too much? He won his last two UFC fights according to Sherdog.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Diaz is one superb fighter, and to deride him for losing three straight fights is ridiculous, and I would dare to say, impractical. He lost to Sanches, Riggs and Sherk - he didn't lose to a bunch of chumps, and he had mantained a streak of wins after that.

I think Diaz is an ashole (or maybe that's the image he wants to portray), so personally, I don't like him or the image he portrays. But he has fighting quality.

I don't think Dana has given Diaz the respect he deserves as one of the best fighters that's made the UFC the proverbial cow Dana's been milking.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Dana's an idiot
    that's all that needs to be said.

he's a meathead, who has made a lot of money by understanding the meathead mindset and catering to his fellow meatheads.

talking lots of smack is typical meathead behavior and just endears him to the meathead masses even more.

meathead

"Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 7:08pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it. He brought Anderson Silva over, and that's a figher that the typical ufc watcher probably didn't know about. I don't buy his statement that he won't try a shogun/liddell fight because no one knows who shogun is. All they'd have to do is have him fight a well known, but not top tier ufc fighter, and then give him a title shot assuming he demolished that opponent. Pretty much the same thing they're doing with cro cop. Bring him in, let him fight a couple people, and then give him a title shot. I imagine if couture wasn't fighting sylvia, we'd already be seeing cro cop get a title fight.

It sounds like liddell is going to move up to heavyweight and they don't want a possible loss before that happens. It sounds better to have an undefeated champion move up, rather than having him move up directly after being beaten by a relatively unknown opponent.

They probably got rid of diaz because he's not a popular fighter. He's not well spoken, isn't flashy or a technical striker, and most likely dana doesn't like him on a personal level. I imagine dana knows they need a new heavyweight champion, and that's the reason he's bringing in cro cop and looking to build up that division. If Randy beats him, then great, they've got a well-liked dude at the top until cro cop takes the belt. I think couture is really just out there as a placeholder(assuming he beats sylvia).

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMYoung
    I don't get it. He brought Anderson Silva over, and that's a figher that the typical ufc watcher probably didn't know about. I don't buy his statement that he won't try a shogun/liddell fight because no one knows who shogun is. All they'd have to do is have him fight a well known, but not top tier ufc fighter, and then give him a title shot assuming he demolished that opponent. Pretty much the same thing they're doing with cro cop. Bring him in, let him fight a couple people, and then give him a title shot. I imagine if couture wasn't fighting sylvia, we'd already be seeing cro cop get a title fight.
    That would be the case if they were bringing Shogun to the UFC. Shogun fighting one fight against Liddell would constitute a UFC vs Pride stigma, and having someone "unknown" to most dumb UFC fans would tarnish the UFC name and would get people interested in Pride. Not a good gamble, especially since Dana is counting on Pride in the US to be in it's dying throes soon.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 8:15pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah true. I wasn't thinking of it as a one time thing. Considering dana's talking about snagging fedor at some point, I thought maybe he'd try and get someone like shogun in for a multi-fight deal.

Are we ever going to actually see some one time pride vs. ufc fights? Maybe UFC will buy pride out, keep them seperate, but have inter-organization fights ala wwf ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 6:18am

Style: BJJ/no-gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sooner Vera moves to light heavy the better, i can see him giving chuck a hard time but not so sure he could deal with Cro Cop. He must be a bit pissed though if Cro Cop gets a title shot after only 2 fights. Arlovski Vs Cro Cop could be a good show too!

End of the day, Dana's a smart businessman and some people here are just looking at it from a fans perspective. These intervies are rarely more than publicity stunts and it certainly works, just look how much people are talking in this thread.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 7:12am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everbody has to have something to bitch about I guess.

Of course Whites gonna stand atop his dung pile and crow about how much better the UFC is in the states. UFC's "fan base" has exploaded since thier affiliation with Spike. UFC is the most readily available/viewable MMA orginization. If Pride had the same network affiliations and free TV events and a fucking reality show White/UFC would really have to struggle to back up his claims.

I frankly don't give a **** what orginization a fighter is in. I respect all, note I didn't say like, of them because they have the sack to get in there and fight. And I am not going to short change or write off a guy because he's in the UFC or cause he's in Pride. Both orginizations are giulty of building up thier star fighters. Both are giulty of boreing match ups from time to time.

The only serious flaws I see with the UFC is the lack of depth in the LHW/HW divisions and thier propencity for cutting fighters who are on a cold streak. The UFC is pretty much a reflection of the general American publics short ass attention span. If you not big news then your no news at all.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234