solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    9/28/2006 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New York City , New York - New York Hung Ga

A Traditional Southern Kung Fu school with attention to: Self Defense, Sport Fighting (Lei Tai, San Shou, MMA and No-gi Grappling), Forms, Qi Gong and Lion Dance.

We trace lineage from Wong Fei Hung through Tang Fung, and Master Frank Yee.

Hung Ga has an emphasis on strong stancework, bridging, and conditioning (especially arm conditioning.) Both external and internal kung fu is developed through forms, partner work, sparring and qi gong training. Weapons training includes, Dan Do (Broadsword), Pole, Spear, Ji Mo (butterfly swords), Kwon Do, and Tiger Fork. Elective forms include; double-ended pole, double daggers and fan.

We offer a very comprehensive class schedule, offering more classes than most New York schools. We also offer a broad variety of classes for whatever elements of the style you want to pursue.

Sparring is done in 3 ranges (standup, clinch and ground) and alive drills with resistance are worked into the sparring class curriculum.

On the ground, basics are emphasised, and there is the opportunity to compete in no-gi grappling tournaments for interested students.
    Last edited by Ming Loyalist; 11/04/2010 12:37pm at . Reason: school name change

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 3:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was checking out the web site and saw there is a couple classes for chinese wrestling. Do you guys train it with primarily throws/takedows, or is it adapted to be used it no-gi tournaments? I'm moving to NYC this summer and I'm just trying to get a sense of what's out there. Thanks

I realize you mention opportunites for no-go grappling, I was just curious how/when your students train for the tournaments.
    Last edited by cooper_543; 3/02/2008 3:42pm at . Reason: unclear message

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there are 2 classes that focus on chinese wrestling, on sundays there is a shuai jiao class that covers traditional shuai jiao (with jackets) on thursdays there is a throwing class that focuses primarily on sport sanda style throws (no jacket and often with boxing gloves.)

we sometimes cover submission grappling basics in our sanda classes, and there is an unofficial group that meets with a couple of students who cross-train in submission grappling elsewhere to work on that part of the game.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2008 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks alot for the information