Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 11:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiujitsu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    I've been to Chagrin Falls once, its right in the southern tip of Cuyahoga County.

BTW I saw the guys website, the one identifying him as a 5th degree, and 1) he did not look fat in the picture and 2) he did not sound like a bullshit artist.

So you are should perform screen captures to save proof that he is now claiming to be a ninth dan.

Its up to you to assemble proof to establish your contentions.
    That website linked is not Joel Dvorin, but rather a student (?) of his. I put the link up to show that Dvorin conferred Dan (didn't catch the last name) with both a 4th and 5th degree black belt within the space of a year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:07pm

Style: Kali/Silat/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing you need to do, is to run his name through the Court System in Cyahoga(sp) county to see if there are any civil judgments against him or his corporations...
    Here's a starting point: http://coc.cuyahogacounty.us/

If you search both the criminal and civil dockets you'll see he has some entries--criminal cases are for attempted theft and grand theft.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kali_silat
    Here's a starting point: http://coc.cuyahogacounty.us/

If you search both the criminal and civil dockets you'll see he has some entries--criminal cases are for attempted theft and grand theft.
    Hey thanks Kali! I took a look through there, found 5 civil and 2 criminal cases. The latest actions seemed to be around 1996.

FYI the criminal cases are theft and grand theft. I'll keep looking through these, but thanks again!

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What were the dispositions?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:42pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to Chagrin Falls once, its right in the southern tip of Cuyahoga County.

BTW I saw the guys website, the one identifying him as a 5th degree, and 1) he did not look fat in the picture and 2) he did not sound like a bullshit artist.

So you are should perform screen captures to save proof that he is now claiming to be a ninth dan.

Its up to you to assemble proof to establish your contentions.
    That would be because "that guy" isn't Joel Dvorin, nor is it Joel's website.

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 6:53pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalyps
    Hey thanks Kali! I took a look through there, found 5 civil and 2 criminal cases. The latest actions seemed to be around 1996.

FYI the criminal cases are theft and grand theft. I'll keep looking through these, but thanks again!
    Remember, if the case is dismissed you cannot assume any criminal wrong-doing on his part. Only convictions count. Be specific about the charge he was convicted of rather than simply arrested for. Additionally it us up to you to make sure it is the same person and not two different people with the same name.

Posted On:
    3/04/2007 7:16pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Dan, welcome to Bullshido, and of course we will ask, what made you decide to accept ranking from Joel.

Posted On:
    3/24/2007 12:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took classes with Joel dvorin for about a year I happened to find this thread by googling his name. He currently runs a dojo in Cleveland Hts. and he has done a lot worst than steeling money. I was a witness to Joel Dvorin physically assaulting students. I remember when a student said somethiong that Dvorin didnt like he kicked the kid in the groin (the kid was not wearing a cup/jock strap). Also I have fallin vitim to assault. When he was demonsting a judo throw he accidently tossed me on my head. I was temporaily KO'ed and awoke dizzy. He was doing tecniques from style he knew basically nothing about .Which made him unsuitable for the teaching the techniques. After the ordeal was over he told me it was my fault for not learning how to fall properly and even was quoted to say the whole ordeal was "funny" but it wasnt. At sometimes he seemed to be a normal nice person but at other times he seemed weird. He claims to teachjudo and submission grappling which is a laugh becasue his grappling class was so rediculus and unpracticle. He didnt even know what the gurad or cross-side was. Their was a blackbelt in judo who worked at unifed martials arts but from what I recall he was never their. He also would on many many ocations not even teach class he would assign an inexperied student (sometime who had less than a year of experience) teach the class or he would keep a book of techniques out and tell you to "refer to the book". He didnt seem like a very suitable teacher in my opinion. And for the record the guy on the website wasnt Joel Dvorin he was a guy who was under Joel but I recall him being a legit teacher. Goto to the main page of the site look at the picture of the three men under the hall of fame banner the one in the center is Joel Dvorin. His dojo is walking distance from my house.

I also found court cases of Joel and his wife in Portage county. I had trouble getting the other links. If you need more court documents notify me.

http://www.co.portage.oh.us/pa/pa.ur...e_sum?53591444

http://www.co.portage.oh.us/pa/pa.ur...e_sum?62700996

http://www.co.portage.oh.us/pa/pa.ur...e_sum?25334799

http://www.co.portage.oh.us/pa/pa.ur...e_sum?50830670

http://cpdocket.cp.cuyahogacounty.us...seSummary.aspx
    Last edited by guest1990; 3/24/2007 3:55am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/28/2007 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the final chapter, at least as far as my father is concerned. Sorry for taking so long, but I've been busy.

According to him, and he has absolutely no reason to lie about this, he went in with Dvorin as an investor in the TKD school, to the tune of $1000 dollars. Of course he lost this money, but as it was considered an investment, and there are really no records to back it up, he doesn't have any aspiration to try and get it back.

But here's the fun part. Dvorin, in the process, got my Dad's social security number, and used it without his knowledge to co-sign for the electric bill on the dojo. Months after the dojo folded, my father got a call from the electric company demanding $500 dollars for unpaid bills. Fortunately, after a great deal of arguing and transferring (eventually to an executive VP of the company), the bill was dropped.

I'm very sorry to hear from Guest1990 that he still is teaching. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have a web presence, and I am in New York, so I'm not certain how much I can help in getting the word out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/31/2007 1:27pm

Style: musabetsu kakuto & booj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does anyone have a picture or a website for this guy?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast