Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiujitsu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joel Dvorin, TKD 9th Dan - Anybody from Cleveland?

I've had a great interest in this bulletin board because I once trained at a crappy, crappy McDojo, and would like to do everything I can to expose this guy.

The teacher in question is Joel Dvorin. A google search shows that he is currently claiming to be a 9th degree black belt in TKD, and that as late as 2005 was handing out ranks under dubious circumstances.

But I'll start with my story. About 12 years ago, my father, sister, two brothers and myself began training at Dvorin's dojo (I don't recall the name at the time). The dojo offered TKD, Judo and Jiujitsu, although looking back I would be hesitant to believe any instructors had credible rank in Judo or Jiujitsu. Dvorin was very fat, and could barely get a kick above his knee. The training was standard bullshido fare, with basic calesthenics, heavily padded point sparring, and lots and lots of katas.

That's just the backstory, however. Dvorin befriended my father, borrowed a sum of money from him ("to keep the school going") which I believe was in excess of $2,000, and then high-tailed it. No contact info, the school shut down, everything.

I wouldn't even mention such an allegation that I only have second-hand knowledge of, if it weren't that I saw Dvorin on the local news a few years later, being investigated for stealing money from another student.

This is most likely not a standard Bullshido case, as there isn't much to go on from the internet. I'm actually hoping more for peace of mind that Dvorin isn't currently teaching and swindling more students.

The only active school I've managed to find his name is here - http://umacleveland.com/About_The_Instructor

Last paragraph there sounds rather suspicious to me. I would recommend that school be up for bullshido review itself, but I think the photos here take care of that entirely - http://umacleveland.com/Grappling.htm

I don't know about you guys, but I always wear boxing gloves and kneepads when I grapple...

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 5:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4th degree to 5th degree in a year isn't just fast, that's meteoric!
    A brief timeline is:
    1st 1991
    2nd 1996
    3rd ??
    4th 2005
    5th 2006

I saw a lot of high kicks and a few jumps on the sparring images. I'm not qualified to give an opinion on the grappling pictures, but the ke?po school I was at did 'sparring to grapping,' which was free range sparring that included takedowns and ground fighting - you didn't stop to take the headgear and gloves off.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Jiu Jitsu - Sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 5:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Unauthorized Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalyps
    I've had a great interest in this bulletin board because I once trained at a crappy, crappy McDojo, and would like to do everything I can to expose this guy.

The teacher in question is Joel Dvorin. A google search shows that he is currently claiming to be a 9th degree black belt in TKD, and that as late as 2005 was handing out ranks under dubious circumstances.

But I'll start with my story. About 12 years ago, my father, sister, two brothers and myself began training at Dvorin's dojo (I don't recall the name at the time). The dojo offered TKD, Judo and Jiujitsu, although looking back I would be hesitant to believe any instructors had credible rank in Judo or Jiujitsu. Dvorin was very fat, and could barely get a kick above his knee. The training was standard bullshido fare, with basic calesthenics, heavily padded point sparring, and lots and lots of katas.

That's just the backstory, however. Dvorin befriended my father, borrowed a sum of money from him ("to keep the school going") which I believe was in excess of $2,000, and then high-tailed it. No contact info, the school shut down, everything.

I wouldn't even mention such an allegation that I only have second-hand knowledge of, if it weren't that I saw Dvorin on the local news a few years later, being investigated for stealing money from another student.

This is most likely not a standard Bullshido case, as there isn't much to go on from the internet. I'm actually hoping more for peace of mind that Dvorin isn't currently teaching and swindling more students.

The only active school I've managed to find his name is here - http://umacleveland.com/About_The_Instructor

Last paragraph there sounds rather suspicious to me. I would recommend that school be up for bullshido review itself, but I think the photos here take care of that entirely - http://umacleveland.com/Grappling.htm

I don't know about you guys, but I always wear boxing gloves and kneepads when I grapple...

I would suggest, with regards to the money issue, you seek the advice of one Samuel Browning on these boards. Send him a PM if you have enough posts, not sure, or I can if you like. If you can provide some solid proof as to what he has done, perhaps enough evidence can be dug up and used in a criminal or civil case. If you don't believe it can be think, just take a look at the Wiki article of one David "Race" Bannon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Race_Bannon

Also check out the Bullshido.net Wiki as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullshido.net

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 11:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's not a 9th dan in the ITF or the WTF for what that's worth.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 12:40am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing you need to do, is to run his name through the Court System in Cyahoga(sp) county to see if there are any civil judgments against him or his corporations. If they exist these would be divided between small claims and regular civil court. Of interest is the resolution of each case. If the case was dismissed, that does not support a negative inference. If however he was found liable that helps your claim.

Ask your dad if he would like to fill out an affidavit. Contact the better business bureau and see if they have any of his corporate entities listed.

Contact the secretary of state's office in Ohio's capital to see if he is listed as an officer in any corporations and whether these corporations still exist and are doing business.

Since we don't have paid staff you'll have to do the legwork on this one.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 12:44am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please try to find out which tv station ran the story, and to obtain a video copy of this story.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 9:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiujitsu, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Browning
    The first thing you need to do, is to run his name through the Court System in Cyahoga(sp) county to see if there are any civil judgments against him or his corporations. If they exist these would be divided between small claims and regular civil court. Of interest is the resolution of each case. If the case was dismissed, that does not support a negative inference. If however he was found liable that helps your claim.

Ask your dad if he would like to fill out an affidavit. Contact the better business bureau and see if they have any of his corporate entities listed.

Contact the secretary of state's office in Ohio's capital to see if he is listed as an officer in any corporations and whether these corporations still exist and are doing business.

Since we don't have paid staff you'll have to do the legwork on this one.
    Hey Samuel,

Thanks for all of the great advice! I'm going to start diggin on it, although my sincere hope is that the bastard learned his lesson and is laying low.

And although nobody cares, it's Cuyahoga, so you were close.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to the Ohio Secretary of State's website (http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/busin...px?Section=104) and did a business search by agent name. This is what I got (broken up for formatting):

Charter Num Agent / Contact Name Agent Address City State Zip
    1479594 Joel Dvorin 14731 County Line Rd Chagrin Falls Ohio 44022

Agent Effective Date Agent Status Business Name
    Jul 28 2004 Active THE JUDIAC BROTHERHOOD OF MARTIAL ARTIST, INC
    It's a Corporation for Non-Profit in Chagrin Falls, Geauga (county?).
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 10:01am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to Chagrin Falls once, its right in the southern tip of Cuyahoga County.

BTW I saw the guys website, the one identifying him as a 5th degree, and 1) he did not look fat in the picture and 2) he did not sound like a bullshit artist.

So you are should perform screen captures to save proof that he is now claiming to be a ninth dan.

Its up to you to assemble proof to establish your contentions.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 10:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is listed as his current information everywhere I could find it. He appears to be actively involved with Unified Martial Arts Federation.

Full Circuit Name: Unified Martial Arts Federation
    Circuit Administrator: Joel Dvorin
    Address: 14731 County Line Rd
    Chagrin Falls, OH 44022
    Phone: 440.247.0628
    Email: gmaster07@aol.com

This is the link that represents him as a 9th degree:
    http://groups.msn.com/MartialArtschat/links.msnw

Other than this I can find no references to him. He seems to be flyin' under the radar.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast