222232 Bullies, 4222 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 41
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. frozenmoon is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 12:24pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: last done, tai chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i saw a Bujinkan Kenjutsu ??knowing unarmed bujinkan 's really questionnable, does the armed branch of ninjaism ' s ok or not ??
  2. Plasma is offline
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,046

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 1:12pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where you see "Bujinkan" Kenjutsu? Bujinkan Kenjutsu is primarly Kukishinden-ryu (good stuff) or shinobinokatana which can be good to retarded depending on your instructor.
  3. Dirty Rooster is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Northumbria
    Posts
    566

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 2:30pm


     Style: Basic Self-Defence

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    Blah blah ...
    I should warn you even after a few years of doing this it'll be really hard to say just how well you will be able to fight with a sword. I know another guy, who has piece together sword knowledge and been able to actually have some skill, but mind you he spars on a regular basis with other swordsmen aswell,
    And THERE'S the rub.

    Hey Frozenmoon, do you really want to learn Kenjutsu,
    OR
    do you want to learn how to fight effectively with a japanese sword?

    The two can be done together but they aren't usually ...
  4. Plasma is offline
    Plasma's Avatar

    Bullshido Admin

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,046

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 2:56pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster

    The two can be done together but they aren't usually ...
    because Japanese Kenjutsu doesn't teach you fight with a sword? Your Expierence please.
  5. frozenmoon is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 12:18am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: last done, tai chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    Where you see "Bujinkan" Kenjutsu? Bujinkan Kenjutsu is primarly Kukishinden-ryu (good stuff) or shinobinokatana which can be good to retarded depending on your instructor.
    on youtube...cant really retrac eit since it was in lots of videos but it was really nammed Bujinkankenjutsu...
  6. kobudo is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    200

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 8:26am


     Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This wouldn't be the video you're referring to, would it?

    I can't understand a word they're saying as it's Turkish, but I've never seen someone advocating poking a bokken between an opponent's wrists before...
  7. hl1978 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 9:32am


     Style: Aunkai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where are you located?

    http://www.auskf.info/dojo/index.htm

    the abovelists just about every kendo (japanese fencing using shinai) and iaido (kata/test cutting) dojo in the US. There is talk of one of the korean fencing assocations (the korean version of kendo is called kumdo) joining the AUSKF.

    As for books, I would say the only value you will find out of them other than how to put on the costume/tie knots for your sword/sword back, is if you already know the art.

    That being said, some books you may find interesting are Flashing Steel: Mastering Eishin-Ryu Swordsmanship by Masayuki Shimabukuro. This book has a ton of info in it, but you wont really learn the kata from it.

    http://www.amazon.com/Flashing-Steel...2845626&sr=8-3

    and Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique and Practice by Gordon Warner and Donn F Draeger (all of his books are good).

    http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Sword...2845626&sr=8-3

    Nicholas Suino has a couple which are good too, but I like the first two better.
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Japanese-S...2845626&sr=8-3

    Find a kendo book with the two person kata in it. something like the below
    http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Far-Mo...2845813&sr=1-1

    I down personally own that book but I own the others. Now if you read the reviews for the above books, you will notice a trend in the comments on amazon, basically you can't learn this stuff without a teacher.
  8. frozenmoon is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 9:40am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: last done, tai chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kobudo
    This wouldn't be the video you're referring to, would it?

    I can't understand a word they're saying as it's Turkish, but I've never seen someone advocating poking a bokken between an opponent's wrists before...
    it was this one...since i eard weird thing about those "ninja fighters" that other MA didnt respect ( especially MMA/MT/BJJ artists ) i was thinking that maybe their kendo's just as BAD and uneffectives as their unarmed techniques supposed to be

    when you talk about strange moves, i saw a kenjutsu/samourai technique really cool. the attacker strike downward and the attacked block and since the bokken inversed he hit with the pommel in the chest with the pommel..it was good.
    Last edited by frozenmoon; 3/02/2007 9:48am at .
  9. frozenmoon is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    31

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 10:00am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: last done, tai chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hl1978
    where are you located?

    http://www.auskf.info/dojo/index.htm

    the abovelists just about every kendo (japanese fencing using shinai) and iaido (kata/test cutting) dojo in the US. There is talk of one of the korean fencing assocations (the korean version of kendo is called kumdo) joining the AUSKF.

    As for books, I would say the only value you will find out of them other than how to put on the costume/tie knots for your sword/sword back, is if you already know the art.

    That being said, some books you may find interesting are Flashing Steel: Mastering Eishin-Ryu Swordsmanship by Masayuki Shimabukuro. This book has a ton of info in it, but you wont really learn the kata from it.

    http://www.amazon.com/Flashing-Steel...2845626&sr=8-3

    and Japanese Swordsmanship: Technique and Practice by Gordon Warner and Donn F Draeger (all of his books are good).

    http://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Sword...2845626&sr=8-3

    Nicholas Suino has a couple which are good too, but I like the first two better.
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Japanese-S...2845626&sr=8-3

    Find a kendo book with the two person kata in it. something like the below
    http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Far-Mo...2845813&sr=1-1

    I down personally own that book but I own the others. Now if you read the reviews for the above books, you will notice a trend in the comments on amazon, basically you can't learn this stuff without a teacher.
    i'm from Canada, ( quebec's province )..thx for the books.
  10. hl1978 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    860

    Posted On:
    3/02/2007 10:04am


     Style: Aunkai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmoon
    i'm from Canada, ( quebec's province )..thx for the books.

    I assume you checked out the canadian kendo federation page?
    http://kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

    the dojos there teach kendo, iaido and some do jodo as well. Looks like there are 10 in Quebec. Perhaps you might have to drive a couple of hours to recieve instruction?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.