225330 Bullies, 4034 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 31 to 36 of 36
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Sith_Lord is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    150

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 10:40am


     Style: Not lost...Found Judo+MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    You must really suck to get that crippled doing aikido.
    The shoulder injuries came from yudansha who cranked katame waza endings in which I didn't relax, so I was an Aikido-noob then who didn't know any better. The neck injuries came from this brown belt who threw me full force in my first few months. Point is I was a compliant, non-resitant partner during Aikido, so of course people can throw "extra hard and fast". The biggest lie I've heard with Aikido is "If you resist you get hurt", what a load of nonsense.



    Quote Originally Posted by Shinshoryu
    As you progress you are expected to defend against Jo and Bokken attacks. Keeping your hands up to defend against such attacks is not only useless, is stupid. Aikido is not boxing, sorry if you didn't notice.
    Yes, more unrealistic attacks, I remember being in the cult. Jo and Bokken attacks are irrelevant in the 21st century. Why not defend against Naginata too? The Aikido instructor that said that meant it for all attacks, even like punches and what not.
  2. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 10:52am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -rep to Shinshoryu for being an idiot.
    +rep for Sith for Aikido empathy

    If someone does come at me even with a bokken or jo....if I don't have one, I STILL WANT TO KEEP MY HANDS UP TO PROTECT MY HEAD!!!???!

    And why the hell would I be weaponless in an aikido class. Hands up, elbows in. There are very few scenarios where this is not a good idea...aikido does not fall into that category
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
  3. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 2:39pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    ...Jo and Bokken attacks are irrelevant in the 21st century. Why not defend against Naginata too?
    Yes they are, just like the use of sword, bow and arrow... and why not, naginata too; still, people like to practice those disciplines. The point of my critique is other, the comment In Aikido they don't rise their arms to protect themselves (attacking is a relatively different story), sounds to me like asking Kendoka to use proper boxing footwork. Those comments simply denote marked ignorance on either subject.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    The Aikido instructor that said that meant it for all attacks, even like punches and what not.
    If he actually said that then you've found the most likely source of your misunderstandings regarding Aikido.
    ------------------------
    Edit: Quote's []
    Last edited by Shinshoryu; 3/01/2007 4:50pm at .
  4. Shinshoryu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Absurdisburgo
    Posts
    294

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 2:40pm


     Style: Aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    If someone does come at me even with a bokken or jo....if I don't have one, I STILL WANT TO KEEP MY HANDS UP TO PROTECT MY HEAD!!!???!
    Then you will be hit, first on your hands, then on your head.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    And why the hell would I be weaponless in an aikido class.
    Go to one and find out.

    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Hands up, elbows in. There are very few scenarios where this is not a good idea...aikido does not fall into that category
    Not because your hands are in the middle it means the weapon won't reach your head or neck.

    -----------------------------------

    P.S. Sorry for the hijacking, I'm stopping right now.
  5. cyrijl is offline
    cyrijl's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,796

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 4:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you will be hit, first on your hands, then on your head.
    So what does it matter then? I bet you if i have my hands up i have a much better chance to reacting to a strike of any kind rather than having my hands by my side.

    Not because your hands are in the middle it means the weapon won't reach your head or neck.
    I don't understand this sentence. But I will elaborate. By keeping my hands up out infront of my head I can defend most unarmed attacks. In the case of a knife attack, I'll gladly sacrifice my hands and arms rather than just let the guy stab me in the face. By having elbows in I protect my ribs from kicks and blunt instrument weapons.

    The over all point is that some people do not feel aikido training is relevant precisely because of these points. In fact you wrote:
    Yes they are, just like the use of sword, bow and arrow... and why not, naginata too; still, people like to practice those disciplines. The point of my critique is other, the comment In Aikido they don't rise their arms to protect themselves (attacking is a relatively different story), sounds to me like asking Kendoka to use proper boxing footwork. Those comments simply denote marked ignorance on either subject.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.
  6. DCS is offline
    DCS's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,036

    Posted On:
    3/01/2007 4:42pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Lord
    Yes, more unrealistic attacks, I remember being in the cult. Jo and Bokken attacks are irrelevant in the 21st century. Why not defend against Naginata too? The Aikido instructor that said that meant it for all attacks, even like punches and what not.
    Thank god you haven't trained under one of these strange FMA instructors like Inosanto.

    Escapist,

    Bad luck and bad instruction. Sorry to hear that; i hope you get well soon.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.