Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 6:36am

Style: Judo + sports ju-jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That was crappy teaching, no doubt. There are all kinds of people starting to train aikido, dunno if it's the same in other MA. I once had a beginners' class with people between 14 and 55 -- you simply can't expect everyone to learn things at the same speed.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 8:54am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, why do you have KRAV MAGA in your style field if you do aikido?

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 12:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of Escapist's earlier posts (on another thread, aeons ago) mentioned his Krav Maga training.
    He/she/it either hasn't bothered to change it, or is still doing it.
    Oh, the mystery!
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Escapist
    I did try BJJ a few years ago, at one of the UK Gracie Barra clubs - and ended up with a broken rib after a few lessons - got crunched when trying to escape guard from a visiting blue blelt.
    you dropped BJJ over a cracked rib?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:37pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Started Aikido in a local sports center about five weeks ago. Seemed okay but very confusing. Teacher (3rd Dan ) wore a skirt thing but everyone else wore white judogis and white belts, so it was hard to know who was experienced and who wasn't.

As a newbie I got given about 10min instruction/practice at the start of each session on breakfalls/rolls.

After that I would muck in with all the others. The format was that the teacher would demonstrate a technigue several times, without much explanation, and then people would pair off to practice it. The teacher would circulate around and correct things if they looked wrong or if people were confused.
    Very normal for a Japanese dojo.

On the third class (two weeks ago), I was with a bloke practicing some technique involving being put into a fancy wristlock and then having to do a forward roll. At one point I was confused about what to do, so the bloke says "do a forward roll". I didn't feel correctly setup for the roll, the wrong leg was forward, but I did one anyway.

I landed heavily on top of my shoulder and ended up with an acromio-clavicular joint separation. It was very sore for a week but is slowly improving now. The physio says I will have to avoid stressing my shoulder for another 3 to 4 weeks. The extra bump I now have on top of my shoulder is, apparently, for life

Turns out the dojo floor is concrete under fairly thin mats!

The irony is that I had also recently started judo, and was pretty sure that that would be where I would be most likely to get injured.

Is this just very bad luck, or have I chosen an aikido setup that is not ideal? I'd appreciate the views of those who have a fair bit of aikido experience. I need to decide if I'm going to go back or not when my shoulder is fixed.

Escapist

You rolls suck, learn to do them better.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 1:59pm

Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Accidents happen everywhere to everyone, specially when you hesitate.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ninjew beat me to it, but the instructor demonstrating without much actual explanation is something I've seen in a few aikido clubs. It annoys the hell out of me, which is a small part of the reason I didn't do any aikido after high school.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: VARIOUS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've changed my style field to various!

Like a lot of people I suppose, I've tried various MA to see if I can find one that really turns me on.

I'm looking for a mix of fitness and conditioning together with practical self-defence applicability in a club that's fun to be part of that doesn't cost loads of money where I won't get injured too often!

Escapist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 2:24pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm looking for a mix of fitness and conditioning together with practical self-defence applicability in a club that's fun to be part of that doesn't cost loads of money where I won't get injured too often!
    again, I don't understand why BJJ (or judo) doesn't fit these criteria (unless your injury/wuss threshhold is really, really low). aikido fails on multiple levels, IMO.

oh hell, **** the IMO. it fails.

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 4:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: VARIOUS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I plan to keep up with judo as I really enjoyed my first few sessions, but I can't do it for at least another 3 weeks as my shoulder needs to heal first.

I can't see the point of attending any club where you go for three weeks, get injured and are off for the next four. That's been my (limited) experience with the aikido and the BJJ. The injuries not only interfere with attending the MA class but also with general working out in the gym.

In fairness to BJJ I should point out that it was a purple belt beginner's class instuctor that got myself and some other beginners to spar with the visiting blue belts. That was, I discovered afterwards, in breach of rules that had been laid down by the black-belt senior instuctor. I didn't say anything about it, I just didn't go again.

Escapist
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast