Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 10:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He worked out twice a day 1-2 hours each session everyday. Eventually you learn something useful right?
    Depends on the training circumstances, doesn't it?
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 10:45am

Style: Pai Lum K.F.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not much differnce than from learning from a video or a book.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 11:22am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never underestimate the power of stubborness and a lack of better things to do. I do know a guy who learned how to do a weird, WEIRD kick from a videogame, and he used it in Sport Jiujitsu events.

...of course, he was already an experienced fighter, but there you go. Unemployed guys with lots of energy to spend and no available ***** are probably responsible for an awful lot of discoveries*, mark my words.

* and a much greater amount of crimes, bodily harm and general stupidity, of course, but such is the price of progress.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 11:26am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but I refuse to believe that this was a competent fighters MAJOR means of instruction as Zendeath is stating.

Video games DO NOT teach you how to flow between movements. Sure I can try to replicate a hold, but it doesn't help me figure out what to do if it doesn't work out, and what other options I have from the position.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OH, I agree. That guy was already a fighter when he decided to learn that kick, and he kept his regular training schedule - he trained that move on his own (and AGAINST the advice of his coach, who taught it was a bloody stupid idea, which it probably was, even if it worked).
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 12:47pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zendeath2000
    not much differnce than from learning from a video or a book.
    That fails as an argument. Learning from books and videos is **** as well.

But at least, MA videos and books are usually made for the purpose of training. Games are made for entertainment.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 3:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, let's put this to rest and get back on the original topic. We're straying from what this thread was started for.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 3:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zendeath2000
    then explain to me how a person that doesnt know how to fight his way out of a wet paper sack can compete in amateur mma (without any prior experience from a teacher or utilization of suck-ass retarded L.I.N.E. training that they taught at the time) and have a 6-2 record. All he used was the wrestling dummy and his game.

i made the last part up as a poor attempt at humor cause judging from the movie clips all it looked like to me was a human gorilla (not to be racist) grabbing and slapping at its opponent.
    A 6-2 Amatuer record is still too sizeable to go unnoticed in CA. And you don't remember the name of the events? That a bit of a stretch for pple to believe.

Now I will say I know many, myself included, who have used a move or two form a video game because it "looked cool" but there was already skills in place.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 4:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, is it not a consensus that anything that works effectively with aliveness is worth learning? As long as someone works their ass off, and is willing to push a wall or throw tires around a tree for hours at a time, and then practices in an alive fighting style, I would not care how insane their kicks or punches are, because the proof would be that their strategy would create fighters that CAN fight. Now the only problem is if it takes 20-35 years of wall pushing to create an effective fighter, which i doubt very highly since you will be conditioning yourself very powerfully by doing all that stuff.

Actually, this goes into the whole concept of what is a "Martial Art" and how do you "create one"?

I thought that in older days, every "Martial Art family or group" had a individual fighting regimen, and would train a little differently, would that classify as a different Martial Art? Do the Gracies really own an entirely different style fo BJJ? People like to call it GJJ, but is it ultimately that different from other styles of Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu?

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    3/02/2007 8:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if we consider, for argument´s sake, that a "new" martial art is one created by people who had no formal training whatsoever in ANY established art, even if videogames, books, movies and such come into play? That would rule out BJJ, but would probably not rule out Tarracá.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345