Sponsored Links Spacer Image

***ned

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey everyone, i'm a newb to martial arts, took a few years of TKD when I was 8 =P, other than that, no experience. However, I'm gonna be going to college soon at UCSD (university of california san diego) and there are a few martial arts classes I'm interested in. I've been doing my research, and I've decided that grappling is the way to go (for striking purposes, my roommate's gonna be teaching me some kung fu, and before any of you say anything, what have I got to lose, right? hahah) anyhow, they offer a BJJ and a Judo class and I was just wondering, what should I look for when I'm sitting in for a few classes? I'd like real word application of course, but I wouldn't mind a sport competition factor too, just for the fact of getting in shape, and disciplining the body. But yeah, what should I look for/pay attention to? Thanks for your help guys!

-dj

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look for a qualified instructor first. You can find a list of them on the net. Where are you going to school? The classes will probably have some technical aspects, such as drills, following the warm up and then some actual grappling time.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look for a qualified instructor first. You can find a list of them on the net. Where are you going to school? The classes will probably have some technical aspects, such as drills, following the warm up and then some actual grappling time.

"Do not become entranced by impractical or useless movements. Do not be categorized as one who "Learns all there is to know about less and less until he ends up learning everything there is to know about nothing." -Ed Parker
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

***ned

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 1:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to school at University of California San Diego. I've tried to find some 411 on the instructors, but haven't had any luck, maybe someone else can do a quick search for me? Thanks! The BJJ instructor at UCSD is John Le and the Judo instructor is Lyman Connolly

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in San Diego. I'd be happy to point you to a few instructors that I know here. They're more on the Kung Fu and Kajukembo side, but if you're interested, I'll introduce you.
  6. Michael

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have one of my blackbelts down in the area check for you and I'll get back to you as soon as possible on their credentials.

***ned

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks so much Groganer and Michael! You guys rock!

Groganer: I'm not really looking into formal instruction for kung fu, as of yet. My roommate is a second degree black belt in praying mantis style(with some shaolin) kung fu and he has good instructing experience so we'll see how far he takes me, and if it's something I want to pursue, I might look into formal instruction. Thanks anyway though!

Michael: THanks a lot! Would you happen to know anyone who actually goes to UCSD that is involved in the club there? Because it would be awesome to get some firsthand advice, and maybe a training partner. =)
  8. Michael

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, actually my sister is supposed to be going there but that's an entirely different story that we won't address.

***ned

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, it's cool that your sister is goin to UCSD too...though I don't think she'd be a good grappling training partner for me, no offense.

=)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2002 4:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you know she wouldn't be a good grappling/training partner? We had a girl on our wrestling team who was pretty good for a light weight.

Plus, there's more to grab on to, if you know what I'm saying....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast