Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 5:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lau Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

what weight lifting routine to use for rehabilitation.

I've recently recovered from a knee injury (I damaged my Vastus Medialis (Internus), number 4 here: http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Quadriceps.html)

I've had several physio sessions, and now been signed off by my therapist so I'm free to train again. I've been told that weight training on it will be fine, and that it'll be good to build up muscle to protect myself from further injury.

My question is: Is there a specific routine I should adopt to build up a (previously) damaged muscle, or should I just do the standard 8-12reps thing?

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 6:22pm

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. I have a problem with that muscle, though it's probably secondary to another injury.
    For that muscle, my physio specifically prescribed single leg raises but with the foot turned out. (not the knee, just the foot). What did yours say?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 6:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lau Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first exercise I was given was lying down, doing squat/leg press like motion on a swiss ball against a wall (to provide resistance) for the last 20degrees of motion. Then it was all sorts of stabiliation exercises.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds familiar, I think we're going to work on stability when I've got some flexibility back.
    How about shelling out for a sports physio? You should be able to get a consultation for 25, ball park figure. You're much better getting a training routine from someone who's examined your knee. Sports centres probably know who to contact, as will the bigger MA gyms.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 7:18pm

Style: Mei Hua Chuan/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another good one is leg raises, lay flat and raise your leg a bit, hold 30 seconds raise it more another 30 and do that till it's straight up( usually done in a 5 position rep from floor to straight up), hold a minute lower it another 30 and so on.
    Once that gets easy, up the time or add ankle weights and do it to rebuild/strengthen the muscle.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 7:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mei Hua
    Another good one is leg raises, lay flat and raise your leg a bit, hold 30 seconds raise it more another 30 and do that till it's straight up( usually done in a 5 position rep from floor to straight up), hold a minute lower it another 30 and so on.
    Once that gets easy, up the time or add ankle weights and do it to rebuild/strengthen the muscle.
    This sounds sensible. Very difficult to do damage with leg raises.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 8:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    This sounds sensible. Very difficult to do damage with leg raises.
    True and with the addition of ankle weights builds the leg up nicely, I've had two knee surgeries and it was the use of the leg raise with 20lb weights on the leg rebuilt the strength quick.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 8:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mei Hua
    True and with the addition of ankle weights builds the leg up nicely, I've had two knee surgeries and it was the use of the leg raise with 20lb weights on the leg rebuilt the strength quick.
    Did you do both legs or just the injured leg? I worry about ending up with more imbalance than I started with.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Did you do both legs or just the injured leg? I worry about ending up with more imbalance than I started with.
    I started with the one just to rebuild the muscle, which after the surgeries was like mush, once it was getting back to normal I went back to both legs to keep the build up even.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 9:14pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question is, how the **** did you **** it up in the first place?!

Also, try pistols while holding 2 chairs for balance, and see if front squats don't bother you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast