Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sucgang Karate - Goofy commercials + after school programs = Bullshido?

Sucgang Karate
    www.sucgangkarate.com
    480 Forest Avenue
    Staten Island, NY 10310

Sucgang Karate is excited to announce the opening of our brand new, state-of-the-art Martial Arts School and Computer Center. At the new school, the "Scholar Warrior" mentality thrives. Students will not only learn self-defense, discipline, self-esteem, and confidence, but are invited to enjoy a student computer study center, where students are encouraged to complete their homework, work on school projects, or even to just learn about computers. At Sucgang Karate, students of all ages are taught that their physical skills act as a foundation for something much more important: The development of their value skills, mental and spiritual. Sucgang Karate is located on prime and bustling Forest Avenue near Silver Lake Park, Clove Lakes Park, Staten Island Zoo and the Snug Harbor Cultural Center.
    Their website isn't up yet, but the commercials on SI cable look Bullshido-rific already. Awesome. It is a after school center under a Martial Arts theme.

Also, "Scholar Warrior", wtf is that? I mean, I value both Martial Arts and learning; but martial arts does not mean the definite development of morals or self-esteem or confidence. Aristotle was a scholar warrior, not a kid in a McDojo.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/25/2007 12:33pm at . Reason: Unwarranted title bashing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:34pm

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    Their website isn't up yet, but the commercials on SI cable look Bullshido-rific already. Awesome. It is a after school center under a Martial Arts theme.

Also, "Scholar Warrior", wtf is that? I mean, I value both Martial Arts and learning; but martial arts does not mean the definite development of morals or self-esteem or confidence. Aristotle was a scholar warrior, not a kid in a McDojo.

Discuss.
    NM, re-read the original quote. First response wasn't valid.

I'm all for a school pushing kids to succeed in academics though. Why don't you wait until they are open, pay them a visit instead of making calls on a commercial and a statement.
    Last edited by Art; 2/17/2007 7:36pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Art
    NM, re-read the original quote. First response wasn't valid.

I'm all for a school pushing kids to succeed in academics though. Why don't you wait until they are open, pay them a visit instead of making calls on a commercial and a statement.

So, how do I go around getting into a after school center when I am 21? ???

I still am smelling something here that I do not like.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:48pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why dont you give them a call and arange to try out their adult classes?

Do you have something concrete besides marketing to busy parents?

The phone number is 718-447-DOJO.
    Last edited by Askari; 2/17/2007 7:51pm at .
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am all for kids being pushed to strive in school and get there homework done. This seems like something marketed to latch key kids and is definitely a McDojo but not Bullshido.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this place. One of my friends sends their son (who happens to be on the autistic spectrum scale) to some of the classes there.

As far as I've seen, Succgng is McDojo in the sense they run a commercial school in a professional manner. The after school study programs they offer are obviously geared for the kids. While, like many places, they help pay the bills by offering children's programs, I do not have the impression Sucgang is Bullshido at all.

Sucgang is actually a small break away group from the Tiger Shulmann franchise. They teach Kyokushin Karate and have a budding grappling program. I did not meetwho is running these classes because I haven't looked at that part of Sucgang's programs. However, I suspect this person is at least competent simply because places like Sucgang have a tendency to run things in a no nonsense manner - as any commercial enterprise should.

Contrast Sucgang with the nearby Longview Academy on Clove Road. My initial impression was the owner is a bubble or two off level. Regardless of whatever quality of classes offerred at Longview, when they were at their original location on Targee Street, the awning sign out front actually had "life improvement" listed right along with the various MA programs offered. I had the distinct impression this wasn't referring to after school programs for youngsters! (Though, to be fair, I did not ask about this directly because the place did not interest me any further.)

As of this morning, the awning at the original location for Longview was still there. :smile:

If there are other questions from anyone here about Sucgang, I'll be more than willing to go check them out again and ask them directly about anyone's concerns. With my friends sending their son there, I have sort of a vested interest in making sure they get their money's worth and understand exactly what they are getting. However, my initial quick check in 2005 said to me the place is legit.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/17/2007 8:11pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 8:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    alright..... have you seen the commercial? the commercial makes them NOT look like a good school at all. ill take your word for whatever you say about it. i would take going to the gym over overpriced MA any day anyway.

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 9:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by polishillusion
    alright..... have you seen the commercial? the commercial makes them NOT look like a good school at all. ill take your word for whatever you say about it. i would take going to the gym over overpriced MA any day anyway.
    I have not seen the commercials to which you are referring. If you can, get them on tape. I'll stop by your place to pick up a copy and I'll upload it.

While Sucgang is not the cheapest place selling MA on SI, Sucgang's prices are not out of line with market forces for MA schools. For a clean and professionally run school in a convenient and legal commercially zoned location with ample parking, I don't consider their prices excessive (the last time I checked two years ago.)

BTW, have you seen some of Tiger Shulmann's old commercials? (Talk about some of your corny MA stereotypes, :smile: )

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 9:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man-

WANNA LEARN KROTTY!

GET TOUGH!

(kids doing back flips, splits, breaking boards)

WANNA STOP BULLIES?

TIGER SCHULMANN!

KIA!

I met people from Schulmann.... they both were good and bad. It really matters who teaches it and if you work on it a LOT. I have also gotten into fistfights with Schulmann students who tried to bully me in high school....... stupid high school type stuff. I beat the **** out of them without even kicking or moving, just pummeled them with my fists, LOL.

What are the prices? I really would like some advice for MA on the Island, since I am done with college and I have to lose my college weight and train again :P

There is a new "Gracie Approved" (via Staten Island Advance Newspaper with a pic of the guys and Relson (sp?)Gracie) BJJ school next to my house in Great Kills, but the hours are really shoddy, and they only have adult classes 2 days a week, and one a weekend, and they have a HUGE sign that has the words "UFC STYLE TRAINING" which just doesn't seem right. I work with a person that goes to the school, and he seems pretty cool and nice, but I want to try it out once I lose some weight.

Posted On:
    2/17/2007 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh ****, I'm 100% certain that''s Mike's place. I know him. (I can't remember his last name right now, but I really do. LOL). If you can afford it, you'll drive yourself nuts trying to find someone much better on S.I than him RIGHT NEXT TO YOUR HOUSE. In this case, it's really about your preferences. Just see if you and he "click" or not.

Worry about money, time, travel, or whatever. But, don't worry about your weight. Just start something ... anything. There is no valid reason to wait around until you've dropped some pounds .

ATTN TOM KAGAN
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast