Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least mine isn't senior dang nabiit.

Posted On:
    2/18/2009 7:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait til you find out women are allowed to vote and the Titanic sank.

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Lung Shou Pai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lung Shou Pai - A Few Comments

I'm going to go ahead and reply to this even though it's super old. I'm mostly doing this for posterity, in case somebody is searching for background on Lung Shou Pai and comes across this thread. I'm not writing to try to convince anybody of anything, but I do think I can answer some of the questions and comments made here.

I've been a student of Sifu Crake since 2003 and I'm familiar with all the Lung Shou Pai stuff that's covered in this thread, except for the very last video in the first post. I have a vague idea who that is, but he's not Lung Shou Pai. The rest of the videos in the first post are all things I've practiced and can explain or demonstrate.

Some people have commented about the "attacker" in the videos going along with techniques. If you've ever seen any instructional video for any style from any background, no matter whether it's kung fu, judo, MMA, or strict BJJ, parts of it will look just like this. One guy is talking and demonstrating. The other guy is acting as a semi-mobile dummy so that the viewer can see what's happening. This isn't a fight. If the dummy is struggling or resisting realistically, the viewer isn't going to be able to learn the utter basics of the technique.

The bio in the second post is obviously joked up from the original text. Stuff about clowns, mustache combs, things like that. Funny stuff, but it seems like some people may not have realized that it was edited before posting here.

The "candle drill" video is an interesting little party trick. Anybody can manage it with a little practice. It's not intended to be a demonstration of martial prowess or magical chi mastery. It's exactly what it looks like. I've seen Sifu Crake do this more than a few times, and I've done it myself. No blowing is necessary to put out the candle. A sharp punch or palm strike is all it takes.

Regarding the translation of the style's name from Chinese to English, it was suggested that "Lung Shou" is a poor English rendering for the Mandarin "Dragon Claw" and that Lung Zhao, Lung Zua, or Long Zhao would be better. I've also seen Lung Jow used fairly regularly. We use traditional characters (龍爪 - Long Zhao) on our banners, uniforms, certificates, and anything particularly formal, but we've used various English spellings over the years. We've mostly settled on "Lung Shou" just for the sake of consistency. We admittedly have certain difficulties in this aspect of our history. Chinese pronunciation gets pretty mangled when filtered through a Louisiana accent.

Our grandmaster, Norman Pedelahore, is indeed a white guy (through no fault of his own). I've had the privilege of training with him on many occasions. He's a very nice, very knowledgeable guy with a lot of years in martial arts. He is, as noted, in no way Chinese, though his instructor was. Grandmaster Ling passed away quite a few years ago, but I do hope nobody holds that against him. He was pretty old at the time.

If you're reading this because you're interested in Lung Shou Pai and you're going to be in the Jackson area, please feel free to look me up. I'd be happy to sit down and talk about martial arts over a meal, or equally happy to meet up for some cross-training.

Thanks,
    Matthew Glover
    Jackson, MS

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    1/08/2010 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Matthew, thanks for the reply with personal experience - we always value that.

Would you mind starting your own thread in Newbietown and introduce your MA training experiences?

You mention willingness to cross-train - what does that mean precisely? Could you provide any links, videos, etc...

How would you compare your training under Mr. Crake and Mr. Pedelahore to what you are doing today?

Thanx, read you around.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 12:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -deleted- retarded post, didn't read thread
    Last edited by thoughtcrime; 1/09/2010 12:12pm at . Reason: ugh.. didn't see how old this was. sorry all

Posted On:
    1/09/2010 8:46pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Retarded thread, delete post, do not read.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 2:05am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Isshin-ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've studied this style a bit in Columbia, MS. It actually works, lol. I mean, the knee wouldn't be delivered as easily with a fully resisting opponent, but the movement to break that grab DOES work.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin_211 View Post
    I've studied this style a bit in Columbia, MS. It actually works, lol. I mean, the knee wouldn't be delivered as easily with a fully resisting opponent, but the movement to break that grab DOES work.
    says the guy with isshin ryu in his stylefield...

ghehe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 6:09am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    says the guy with isshin ryu in his stylefield...

ghehe
    Heh, Score!

I've also discovered that Bad breath works.

'If done right...noooo Defense'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 6:31am

Style: jiu jitsu, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhglover View Post
    Some people have commented about the "attacker" in the videos going along with techniques. If you've ever seen any instructional video for any style from any background, no matter whether it's kung fu, judo, MMA, or strict BJJ, parts of it will look just like this. One guy is talking and demonstrating. The other guy is acting as a semi-mobile dummy so that the viewer can see what's happening. This isn't a fight. If the dummy is struggling or resisting realistically, the viewer isn't going to be able to learn the utter basics of the technique.
    Thanks for the post. One thing I'll comment on is this part: while there is of course a place for teaching the basics, the difference that tends to happen between much of kung fu (including this style) and judo/MMA/BJJ are that for every strict, compliant judo demonstration video there are a hundred real, non-compliant ones out there. I can more easily find a demonstration of someone successfully doing a judo technique on a poor sap really fighting against it than I can find one of someone standing like a broken dummy.

This obviously has the great advantage of showing how to really pull off a technique, and which techniques look good in theory but are pretty unlikely against a real opponent. More importantly, it shows that the style is actually usable against someone more resistant than a candle.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast