• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:56am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

More Back Pain

Ok, so its that time again. SOme of you may remember that awhile ago I had a back problem. I couldnt stand it, I couldnt deadlift or squat or do military presses. It sucked and it was from bad form deadlifting. So I sucked it up and did a bunch of core work. Hyperextensions, crunches etc. I started doing Sumo deads when I was better and then went to full conventional deads. I made it up to 365 for singles all the way from 150 lifts. Well then I started squating and guess what?

Thats right, squats hurt me! I just pulled a muscle in my lowerback. Im gonna give it time to stretch and heal. But heres what I learned. Dont neglect your core because your back problem is better.

Thats what I did, my back got better so I stopped doing ab work. O well, serves me right. Im going to switch to front squats for a bit and my new main focus is not bench or squat but core. Just kinda throwing this out there cause Im just ranting.

As for starters, I hate ab work, mostly cause I dont do it and hate the motions that Im not used to. In order for me to like it, Im gonna start doing crunches throughout the day. Before bed, when I wake up and maybe in the afternoon. Not crazy amounts and overtrainiing, just gradually build it up.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:20am

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You go girl.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you sure it's not in your hamstrings? I've had back pain that was actually due to pulling muscles and tendons in my leg and hip, and that might explain why squats triggered it.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 3:03pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I woke up this morning, the pain isnt that bad. It hurt pretty bad last night but I could tell it was just a muscle, nothing major. More stretching and core work to follow though as I said before.

It could be my hamstring. Its mostly in my lowerback towards my right side. Stretching my hamstrings does seem to affect it so maybe it is, but it feels much more like my lower back. Unless its just tight but pulling my back, so I feel it in the back. Either way, taking a few days off and stretching.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My injury was the same; the first time it was even over my lower back but when it reoccurred it was all on the left side. Have a doctor make sure there's no damage to the sciatic nerve, because the first time that happened to me they suspected I'd torn the dura around both of them (the coating on the nerve).

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:01pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look up "illiotibial band," and you should find some stretches to do. It runs from your lower back to below your knee, and is often responsible for the types of pain you describe.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 11:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had extreme soreness in lower back when deadlifting heavily for a while, just made sure it was always not sore before I lifted. Don't mistake extreme DOMS for injury. Tighten everything before the lift. Stretch your legs/spine etc. Also though don't mistake hurt muscle from hurt tendon, ligament, or bone. If the pain subsides in a few days like mine always did I continued the heavy with good form, or dropped the qweight a bit and did mre reps just in case. Rest, massage, stretch, anything to aid recovery quicker so you can tell if it muscle soreness or a pain.

Also, why would crunches be used to stabilize for a heavy lift such as squat? Whether or not bodyweight/barbells weight etc. are best for overall MA I would imagine for heavy squat that crunches won't do too much.

Not compared to heavy core work. Weighted back extensions, weighted situps, ab wheels etc.

I think weighted pullups do a lot for the abs to by the way, at least I always feel it in them as the weight is dangling back and forth and is stabilized by your body, right?

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That guy that plays King Leonidas in 300 did 50 deadlifts in his workout, all in one set. Anyone else do high rep deadlifts? That just sounds like bad news waiting to happen, like trying to complete a high number of good mornings in a limited time frame. Eww.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 1:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most I've gone up to is 10 at a time, only a few times. I mostly warmup with sets of 6. Then as I near my max (or the highest I will be going that day) I go down to 1-3 reps.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 9:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit man, I would never go high reps with deadlifts, good mornings, and even squats with a powerlifting low bar position, which brings me to my next point, what bar position you doing those back squats in? It should be right in line with your traps, so the whole motion is straight up and down, and also if your heels come up off the floor, you've failed. Learn from Dan John how to squat. He was on episode 6 for the fitcast. Also, try just using something else during squatting besides the old bar, kettlebells, dumbells, sandbags, even water balls or people(ala Shaq). Try all types of holds when squatting, one shoulder, cross carry, farmer's walk position, rack position, zercher. Just some quick tips.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast