Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 3:42pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gotten tapped by wristlocks on the gournd a couple of times by a JJJ guy in my no-gi class. Much to my humiliation, he got me mainly while in my guard. But I'm a complete graple noob.

I also got hapkidoed once when I asked my friend in Hapkido to show me some of what they did, to which he replied "okay, but it isn't much good in a real fight." then twisted my wrist and made me fall to the ground tapping out.
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:01pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everytime I grapple I use wristlocks, just not the way you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:20pm

Style: JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I've used a variety of wrist-locks quite effectively in both competitive matches as well as in real self-defence situations.

However, that being said, trying to apply a wrist lock effectively takes considerable skill to apply against a resisting opponent (and does not always work, so be prepared to quickly move onto something else), and I generally won't attempt to apply such techniques untill I am in good control and position of the situation to attempt such techniques. So yes, with enough practice and skill, and knowing when, where and how to apply according to the situation, such techniques can be used with good results.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:29pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use wrist locks all the time for submissions, they always follow positional control and then isolating the arm. Nothing wrong with them.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some in the ground. Standing, never: 1) too difficult and 2) I'm not interested to go ballistic against a training partner to prove a point.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems most here have used them on the ground. My instructor in Bjj is really good at them. you can see him get on in 101 submissions Vol. 3.( renato Tavares). they hurt.

I have taught them as control techniques for police and military. But really the gooseneck is the best one
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123