Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:10am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used the standing gooseneck on numerous occasions as a control movement to bring someone to another location. On sober and resisting individuals. But only after hitting them a few times.

And that isnt really very similiar at all to a a kote-geshi.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:26am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's a gooseneck???
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:33am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with that. position!

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A gooseneck is simply when you have hand/forearm control of someone and you bend their wrist forward and down toward their own forearm. Hence making a shape like the neck and head of a goose.

As for me, I took some bad HKD when I was a kid, and I actually pulled off a wristlock/throw from it in a "real" situation. (I've told this story before, so some of you may have heard it...) I was a kid (middle school) and was getting harrassed by some older kid (high school) at the local communty pool. Kept splashing me, following me around and generally being a dick. I knew if I swung on the kid (who, in my memory was roughly the size of the incredible Hulk) he would murderize me, so I thought I'd try a fancy wristlock. Hmmm, but how to get him to Grab My Wrist (tm)... Well, using my highly intelligent nerd brain, I simply stuck the correct hand out toward him on the correct side. And he grabbed it! AT which point I executed Hapkido straight wrist defense #1. Which was to grab the wrist, rotate the arm up over your head as you turn and then bring the arm down in a twisted and painful position. And, man that **** actually worked. He was standing in about waist deep water at the time, so all it did was cause him some momentary pain and dunk him, but it worked.

Of course, in a classic slow motion moment, he came exploding up out of the water with a mighty roar and death in his eyes. So I booked it! And stood by the lifegaurd until I could slip away.

Hapkido for the win.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw once on the intro to cops a big ass cop slammed a skinny redneck looking ellow with kote-gaeshi.

I'm just curious because wristlocks may have their place but I think in terms of percentages. The gooseneck must be the highest percentage wristlock.

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks are controlling techniques, and little more. They have the best chance of working when someone is only half heartedly resisting, and/or as a surpise move. They work poorly against someone who is determined to kick your ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 12:25pm

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have used the bujinkan wrist locks with a lot of success in moving people around. However, those situations were nothing like "fights" (i.e. I wasn't "engaged" in a fight or anything simular with any one of them) more often than not, it was also in a 2on1 situation. Also I found they were more effective when you applied the rotational force onto the wrist via the fingers (which would also bend around) but I got told off for this a few times.

Actually, come to think about it, during a few dance floor incidents, i've pulled a lot of bujinkan moves. I got a mushadori and the guy was like "WTF" (but I had to hold my arm up REALLLY high) (this is also not a claim to "fight" as, it was moving into a brawl and breaking it up where the agegroup was like 18-20)

good times.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 12:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been tapped a half dozen times with them by a BJJ brownbelt. I have tapped one or two total bjj newbs to wristlocks. They're effective when locked in; they're not high percentage.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:44pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Once during a grappling session, starting from a standing position, I trapped a guy's hand/wrist in the crook of my elbow, effectively pinching it between my bicep and forearm. I then used my free hand to roll/force his shoulder over and drive to the ground face first, then placing my knee on his elbow, torqued his trapped arm to the ceiling for an armbar. Total accident, he reached to grap me with his left hand, I parried it with my right and went to grab him with my left and just happened to trap his left hand in that position, total fluke.
    Does this count as a wrist lock?

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 3:26pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used all kinds of wristlocks on the ground.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast