Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wristlocks:Who has used them?

Who here has ever used a wristlock succesfully in a fight or full contact match? And if so, what kind was it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean standing wristlocks, or wristlocks performed while ground fighting?

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standing but I guess any of the standard Aikido/ Japanese JJ style locks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:08am

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had brown belts in my BJJ class tap me out w/ wrist locks while rolling, but that was back when I was just starting out - they can't catch me with that stuff anymore :-)

Of course, that just means they find other painful ways to get me to tap out...

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been tapped with one once by a purple belt in BJJ. As for standing, I had this debate with a former gymnastics instructor so we decided to do some wrestling and try to take each other down with wristlocks. We found that maintaining a grip on someone's hand is a difficult thing to do, especially when sweat is involved. Technically speaking they are not a good technique because contact with the person you are attacking is minimal, and therefore he has ample space with which to move to nullify the attack or regain his balance. They can also just yank their hand out or pull it to their chest if you actually managed to secure a stable grip.

Do they work? Any technique "works", it's just a matter of how often it does.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 8:58am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done one once when a guy grabed my shirt, so the grip was easier. He was drunk and went for the stupid drunk guy grab shirt and punch.

Once I grabbed his wrist and ducked the punch, I heard a load/short crunching sound. Found out afterwards it broke his wrist. It didnt take him down, but it stoped that part of the fight.

So for anecdotal, yes on a drunk guy that had only ever been in hockey fights. And I was sober.

Cant imagine it working on someone who knew how to grapple.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe grabbing fingers and snapping them is more reliable? An MMA fighter once told me that. Another reason why wristlocks are may be poor from a technical standpoint is that the force is applied very close the fulcrum, which makes for poor leverage. If you have to wristlock, get them on the ground, establish positional control and isolate the limb. Standing wristlocks are generally the domain of aikidoists and ninjers.

Master of the Shrimp

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only one I have ever used is the gooseneck wristlock, often from a 2 on 1 or on the ground. the only time I have EVER heard of anyone using them is to control a drunk

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:38am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A blue belt tapped me once with a kote gaeishi while I was trying to open up his guard. It wasn't painful, but while in his close guard, I couldn't do anything to escape it, not even move. Interesting experience.

-- ED --

The no-gi instructor at our school teaches wristlocks here and there. I've only taken a few classes with him (I'm mostly doing gi), so I don't recall all the details. But in any case, he slaps wristlocks (mostly hyperflexing) when people attempt escapes from americanas, kimuras or armbars. He tends to pass his own wrist behind the opponent's wrist to act as a fulcrum.

But he stresses that those are "secondary" attacks, and that you need to have positional control to attempt them.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 2/24/2007 9:56am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:52am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or who wasn't drunk.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast