Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:20am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno about the hours thing. I mean, when someone asks you how long you've been at your current job do you tell them from the time you started until now or do you start calculating and subtracting weekends, holidays, time at home, etc.? Its just not practical after a certain point.

I think.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 3:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    I dunno about the hours thing. I mean, when someone asks you how long you've been at your current job do you tell them from the time you started until now or do you start calculating and subtracting weekends, holidays, time at home, etc.? Its just not practical after a certain point.

I think.
    If it's just some random "someone" then no, because the answer will be meaningless anyways. When anyone with no serious training asks me if I have a black belt I just tell them, "yeah. sure." Could you beat up 3 guys at once? What? 3 guys like you?...sure no problem. I couldn't beat up ONE guy if his name was Mirco Crocop? Random people off the street can hardly tell the difference in meaning between a BJJ black belt and a Shotokan Karate black belt. I got a friend out here expecting me to be awed by this other dude he met who beat the head abbot at the Shaolin Temple.....which if you've been around enough, really isn't saying much. So who gives a ****? Give 'em a pointless answer that they can't understand anyways.

I'm just saying, my "20 years" is a kind of meaningless answer. We got UFC champs with maybe a third of that. In hours they are probably closer. If you are trying to gauge the experience of the board, which Jason said was his purpose, then getting an answer in years is meaningless. It gives and answer that really means, "give or take 300%". Whatever the listener thinks of as "10 years of training". You're actual training is anywhere from 1/3 to 3 times that.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25 years straight.

Do a search for ronin. this type of thread down to the hour was done once.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's when I tried to calculate it the first time was.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found it.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...&postcount=142

Of course all my posts were deleted. Mutha fuckas.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 8:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow.

Even accounting for the past 2 years it only just pushes me a bit past the one year mark in hours.

It's kind of sobering when you look at it that way.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 8:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi

I think.
    Jobs are fairly standardized these days. Everyone assumes somewhere around 40 hours a week but more relevantly, if you go to SCHOOL and get a degree or really any other kind of accredidation, those are measured in hours. Hours or lab time. Class hours. Lecture hours and so on.

Nobody really thinks that 8 years in a university represents more than 4 years if you still came out with a BA/BS. Same thing for advanced degrees. We have guidlines for how many years a certain competency should take but the institutions ultimately measure you by the hours and not by the years.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 8:23am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Jobs are fairly standardized these days. Everyone assumes somewhere around 40 hours a week but more relevantly, if you go to SCHOOL and get a degree or really any other kind of accredidation, those are measured in hours. Hours or lab time. Class hours. Lecture hours and so on.

Nobody really thinks that 8 years in a university represents more than 4 years if you still came out with a BA/BS. Same thing for advanced degrees. We have guidlines for how many years a certain competency should take but the institutions ultimately measure you by the hours and not by the years.
    True. But the number of hours I studied still can't confirm whether I'm a good fighter or not (Which I know wasn't the point of this thread, but still). What if I studied TKD for 10 years worth of hours? I would still be a terrible fighter due to my inability to punch someone without breaking my hand or falling over and if someone threw me on the ground and tried to mount me I'd just sit there and watch it happen like red-headed stepchild as his new found father-figure lashes him with his leather belt before bedtime. Also, I think that if you were to measure in time, your effort should also be recognised. What if you study two hours a day, but you don't give it 150%? If you do your very best everytime you practise, you will learn better and quicker. And most MAists that I have seen simply do not unleash the fire inside them and go beyond their limits when they practise because they cannot transcend their physical self (If that makes any sense).

So, in the end, that's what throwdowns are for. ;) Are there any throwdowns in China, by the way?

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/24/2007 8:32am at .

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:21am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No throwdowns in China. Not via Bullshido anyways. I have gotten together with a number of emptyflower members though. There's probably only a very small handfull of BS members even IN China, let alone the same province.

What if I studied TKD for 10 years worth of hours? I would still be a terrible fighter due to my inability to punch someone without breaking my hand or falling over and if someone threw me on the ground and tried to mount me I'd just sit there and watch it happen like red-headed stepchild as his new found father-figure lashes him with his leather belt before bedtime.
    First of all, do the math and realize that no one on this entire montrosity of a board has anything CLOSE to 10 years when measured in hours. My 20 years boils down to about 1 year. KFDW's 20 years or so reduces down to about 2 years. But that's beside the point. If you had put in 5200 hours of TKD training which equals 2 hours a day for 10 years....(point of reference, CROCOP says he trains twice a day. That's probably only about 4 hours a day and he takes weekends off) so 5200 hours = 10 years of serious training....

.....you should only be expected to be EXTREMELY good at TKD. I would expect you to be olympic quality and capable of training people to be successfull in the olympics. I would expect your spinning back kick to be lightning fast and that you would be absolutely brutal under TKD rules. I don't see how a hypothetical about groundwork is relevant since it's not part of the TKD curriculum. If you had trouble punching then your developmentally disabled or something because when I was in TKD (about 4 years) breaking bricks and **** was part of my test curriculum.

No one can measure how intensely or how smart you train. The question is only asked "how long". THAT can be measured. It's measured in hours and minutes. "Years" mean nothing. Gongfu is accrued minute by minute. Even the intensity "issue" is largely a matter of how many minutes out of every hour are spent training as opposed to chatting or resting.

"Years" is a truly meaningless measurement.

I have been playing guitar for over 10 years. That's a fact. My skill level with the guitar is not particularly better today than it was 8 years ago. Maybe a little better. I head to the local music shop and people ask me "How long have you played for." rofl. " 10 years" is a ridiculously absurd answer that tells them nothing.

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:41am

Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omar
    Years is not a good way to measure. If you do it that way, I have been training, all things put together for about 20 years, the last 12 or so of that in CMA.

But this stuff should really be measured in hours, not years.

I forget how that works out for me. I made an estimate once. Close to 2 years I think.
    I agree as well, but that is almost impossible for most peole to calculate, myself included.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast