Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:40pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight Distribution in Shovel Hook

I have a few short "Crazy Monkey" clips on youtube, and one of those is for a jab-cross-shovel hook combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F256qCZtzAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F256qCZtzAc

In the comment section, someone asked an interesting question:

When you throw a shovel hook, how come there is no weight distribution?
    The weight is not transfered to the rear leg, the weight stays at the lead leg. I think your punch will be weak and you will be off balance...

What's your rationale for this?

Another person replied the following:

have heard people say keep weight on lead leg to get power and others say switch to rear. i personally keep it on the front now and it feels stronger. less of a swing and more my body driving the punch in.

So basically there is one person advocating to transfer the weight to the rear leg, while another one advocating keeping the weight on the lead leg. I personally prefer the second approach as it feels more natural... to me, anyways.

What would be the consensus of more experienced strikers on this matter? How could one transfer the weight to the rear leg when throwing a shovel hook? Or more to the matter, what's the correct or more predominant way to execute this punch?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was taught that you want to have even weight distribution on most of your punches, including the shovel hook.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since the shovel hook isn't really like regular hooks, it doesn't really make sense to use the footwork of a hook for it. The force of the punch is driving forward, so you want your weight to go with the punch. In this combination, you're already moving your weight forward with the cross and the shovel hook just continues the forward motion. I think the first person talking about transfering the weight to the back foot is confusing the shovel hook with a normal hook.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, those are some relatively unretarded comments by youtube posters.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 7:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know!!!! But that's because I aggressively remove anything retarded from the clips I have. You should see the **** I get on a regular basis... "LOL. Kungfu bitchslap... ur homo, bye."

Honest to God, I removed one just like that yesterday from the "Crazy Monkey" open hand slap clip I have in youtube :tard:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2007 11:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: San Shou Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i prefer to put the weight on the front leg, and then drive my shoulder round letting the arm whip round with it. when fighting from a southpaw stance i normally come out of a duck twisting my body to the right and then whipping it to the left as i land the punch.. i do a similar thing with shovel hooks except i try and twist in a more diagonally upward left motion. but for this method you need to have the weight on the lead leg and a wider stance than normal, in a side on stance it might be better to have your weight on the rear leg

Posted On:
    3/20/2007 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, this particular paragraph from Wikipedia clarified a lot some of my questions on footwork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footwor...oxing_Footwork

For the pugilist, footwork is to be deft and simplistic, allowing the fighter to maneuver into and out of striking range as quickly as possible. Proper footwork is also key to generating sufficient power and fluidity of technique in the basic strikes shared between the major boxing styles. During the jab, the lead foot should pivot inward in time with the strike to thrust the leading shoulder forward, allowing the jab its swift, snapping energy. During the cross, the rear foot pivots inward to launch the rear shoulder forward, allowing the cross a good deal of its strength. During the left hook, the lead foot pivots in the same manner as during the jab, though often with more extreme range of movement. The right hook's pivot is identical to the cross. The lead uppercut is a combination of two pivoting motions, first the rear foot pivots inward to properly set up the uppercut, then both feet pivot simultaneously to the direction opposite of the striking arm to generate torque throughout the body. The rear uppercut is a direct reversal of the lead uppercut. To maintain balance, both feet will pivot or slide as appropriate.

Posted On:
    3/23/2007 4:48am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a left hook to the head, I get more power by shifting weight to the rear leg. Power generation for a left hook is a horizontal arc.

For the shovelhook, I get more power shifting weight to the front leg. Power generation for a shovelhook is a diagonal, upward arc. Totally different from a regular hook.

Just try both on the bag and you'll get your own answer. I get power for the shovelhook by positioning my chest over the top of my left knee. You need your body there in order to drive your knuckles upward. If you shift your weight to your rear leg, you'll be to far away, and there is no way for you to generate power upwards.