Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:27am

Style: JKD BJJ JUDO MUY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BJJ instructor was a pan-am games greco wrestling champ in the 80's and he was the coach for the European national team. I outweigh him by 50lbs and he tosses me around like a ragdoll.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:34am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had been involved in martial arts since childhood. I started with Shotokan as a child and later studied Tae Kwon Do, submission wrestling, and San Shou. In 1999, after nearly 6 years training and competing in San Shou and grappling I felt the need to move on and try something different. In all that time I had never met a coach who I felt was "the old school master" type...someone I could felt could really push my limits the way I wanted.

Around that time a friend told me about a Russian coach, Alexander Barakov, who had started teaching at a local school. According to my friend, I would not regret checking out his Combat Sambo class. At that time all I knew about Sambo was that Oleg Taktarov from the UFC had trained in it. By that time I had already taken seminars with Oleg and Gokor Chivichian; finding their approach very appealing. That was about the extent of my Sambo experience. In any event, in early 1999, I went down to watch a Sambo class under the man would become my coach, friend and most influential teacher I have trained with.

Alexander Barakov, or Alex as he preferred to be called by his students, is an incredible and enigmatic man. He embodies everything a true martial artist should be...humble, calm, compassionate, creative, intelligent, and of course, he is a great fighter with great character. I recall my first training session with him. I walked into the school feeling pretty tough and experienced. I guess my ego was too big at the time. I remember during that class Alex made an announcement to the group (it was small group of 3 or 4 at that time) that I was some experienced fighter and that he and I would spar a bit in a friendly way. Well, it was after this 60+ year old man wiped the mat with me that I knew I should lose the ego and train with him!

The guy is as tough as nails...former spetsnaz, former member of the Soviet National Weight Lifting team, Master of sport in sambo. The guy humbled me real quick. It was awsome and scary at the same time. I must have out weighed him by like 20 or 30 lbs.
    I was sold. We have been friends ever since. Now he runs a club in St. Petersburg (since 2003).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:39am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Steve did this guy teach out of a gym in Brooklyn (more specfically Kings Highway and Nostrand) and use Borodin's gym sometimes as well? I went with a friend of mine that practiced sambo a few times to roll at his school and the description seems dead on.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my instructor just signed with the UFC and he gives me beatings on a regular basis (as well as being a great teacher) so yeah i think he kicks ass! hehe

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 12:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funktastic,

He lived out there for a while, but taught out of Chau's/Fighthouse from 1999 - 2003. He might have taught some classes and worked out out there. But eventually he lived in Manhattan, so I am not sure how often he was working out in Brooklyn. Sometimes the Brooklyn folks would come work out with us though (Rudman, Tatarkin, etc), so it was entirely possible.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... because he knows the difference between sidemount and side control.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:12pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best coach I ever had (been a while since then, of course):

http://www.carladams.com/Staff/aboutCarlAdams.php
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Awesomeweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2007 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JUDO FTW

(Wazari - Sambo)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12