Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:22pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why your instructor kicks ass....

Everyone of us has a story about our instructor and a time you realize just how bad ass he is. I thought I would start a thread giving you a chance to tell your own tales about instructors (or yourself) that was one of those moments...

Here is mine:

Many years ago I went to fairly decent sized Judo tournament at an Air Force base. I was pretty young bug felt great. At the time I was about 215lbs or so and tournaments were made so that if you were over 205, it was unlimited. At the time I was a green belt and had done maybe one or two tournaments and was doing my normal "who else will be in my division" scout around when I see this guy walk in. This fucking behemouth of a guy. Now my instructor was big, 6'5"ish 260-270lbs (used to do Rings in college), but this guy made my instructor look small. He was probably 6'7ish and about 350 or 360lbs. Well we are all signed up and they are going through everything and they call us (my friend and I to the side) and at our division there was one white belt (about 210 around 15 years old, 2 greens (me and my friend 215ish 15 or so) and this guy who was a Brown belt. (Later it turns out he actually was a BB).

This guy has a **** eating grin a mile wide. My instructor looks at all this (he ran most the major tournaments in Florida) and was like "Yeah uhhh no" he looks at the guy and says "I tell you what, I brought my Gi in the car. How bout you and me just make our own division?"

The guy says "Actually I am just fine with the way things are here, no thanks this looks good to me" with a chuckle. Apparently he did not really know hy coach.

"No, I think we will make our own division" as he looks at the head of the tournament.

The guy looks at my instructor and I **** you not says "Ok, less people for me to have to beat".

Famous last words.....

Tournament time comes and I swear that there must have been a big hubub about all this. First off my instructor competeting brought a lot of attention. (Father of an Olympian, multi time national champ, Olympic alternate, etc. etc.) Next off was this guy's size and his reluctance to fight a black belt.

He shows up on the mat wearing a black belt (he was wearing a brown belt earlier).

My assumption was that my instructor was pretty pissed off, and it seemed so were the refs and tournament directors apparently.

There are few sights I have seen in my life that can compare to this... for I did not think it possible to see a 350lbs man sail through the air.

My instructor never even bothered with matwork, every single one of his throws had everyone doing that "OH!" sound that happens with an Ippon... (full point throw)

However the ref kept signaling Yuko! (1/4th of a point, you can accumiliate as many of these as you want without it equalling a full point.. meaning match goes on..)

This guy was getting killed within seconds of gripping up with my instructor... Haraimakikomi picture perfect, guy landing flat on his back... you hear the air escaping his lungs

Yuko!

Everyone around me is shocked... some people are even screaming at the ref "THAT WAS AN IPPON"

The two side judges just stay seated.... no dispute...

Deashibarai- guy sails through the air, lands with a thud...

YUKO!

The whole first match (double elimination) goes like this. 5 minutes of this guy getting fucking mauled, my instructor never once letting up. He seemed pissed at the first 3 Yukos... but then gets what is going on, and just serves up throw after throw of ass whuppin. (to this day I have no idea if he actually coordinated with the refs and tourney director for this to happen)

The fact that he never did any matwork (no pins, no nothing, when he is OUTSTANDING at matwork) I guess should have told me something.

Other people fight, everyone is still talking... and here is where the little bit of respect I have for that other guy came in.

He actually had the balls to show up for his second match against my Sensei.

They go out again, my Sensei buries him with the prettiest Harai Goshi I have ever seen...

Wazari... (1/2 point, 2 of these equal Ippon, match is over)

More time goes by with absolute murder being commited on the mat, all going for Yuko...

Then a Fred Hand special... the worst throw in the world to get thrown by... Te Garuma (look it up, it is humiliating) he slams the guy so damn brutally that he when the guy gets up he literally has rubber legs.

Wazari...(2nd one, match is supposed to be 0ver)

Hajime!

They go at it again, another beautiful throw, this guy looks like a ragdoll bitch.

Wazari.....

The guy lays there on the ground, not getting up. Ref then instructs him to get up and fight... lol...

The guy still not realizing what is going on...

He stands up and just as they grip up and my instructor throws him for a final time the side judges are standing...

They come to the middle and let the ref know that he has scored 4 Wazari's when the match should have ended at 2...

The guy is finally allowed to have his punishment stop.

Afterwards he comes up to my instructor and apologizes and asks... "How many wazari's was that? I swear every time you threw me it was an Ippon"

My instructor just shrugs as we leave........

That was one of the days I realized what a bad ass my instructor was....

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the judo equivalent of bukkake, isn't it?
    Great story.
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:56pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judomofo both starts and wins this thread.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ippon?
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:02pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yuko!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not as dramatic but seeing my instructor tap out (and send out on a stretcher) an ADCC and DEEP competitor was pretty nice.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old instructor once picked up and slammed Garth Taylor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 9:32pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While in the process of hip surgery almost never missed a class, always came in to teach as much as he could and got back into randori as soon as was physically possibe--->still made it look like he was shooting kittens out of a catapult instead of throwing judoka.

Not to get misty eyed by I really admire his dedication to the sport.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why my instructor kicks ass

1. He's 57, but with the physique of a 35 year old---the man
    is a health nut. Runs, lifts weights, etc.

2. Can throw a mean hook.

3. He has t34 gr4pple.

4. Is an all around good guy.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 2:21am

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has a shaved head and a goatee, wears tapout/UFC gear to class. And on a more serious note, he is a good instructor and held his share of titles when he was still fighting.
    Last edited by Eldarbong; 2/24/2007 2:31am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast