Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 10:38pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    In my experience, most Chinese are more concerned with getting a good job or making money in business. However, there are some who are interested in traditional culture: painting, calligraphy, antiques. Martial arts is just a part of that. Further, it is not considered very "refined" to want to fight--MA is not considered suitable for gentlemen. Under Confucian system, martial artists are considered the at the same level as actors and prostitutes.

The government pours tonnes of money into sport, especially with the 2008 Olympics coming. But "sport" includes wushu and TKD more so than any traditional or combat-focused martial art.

In spite of that, I did meet a group of hardcore traditional Chen stylists in Beijing. The sifu did not seem to be so full of himself, but I guess there was a sadistic streak. They train outdoors year-round and are not allowed to wear gloves or hats. They didn't seem to mind much since they were keeping warm from training.
    My wife's Chinese, and I would have to agree. I live in the SF Bay Area, and while the Shaolin Monks tour may sell out, there are not huge crowds of anything more than family members dragged out to watch there kids at even the largest local Chinese Martial Arts tournaments. UC had only 1500 people total at there last tournament All the ultra violence in the movies from China is mainly wish fulfillment. Certainly, there are bullying gangsters in China, but there are no epic gun battles, or kung fu fights. The Chinese try to keep things low key, in general, and are much more concerned with educating their kids and being successful, then kicking ass in a lonely gymnasium. All the movies, where we see and get the idea there is a "real kung fu" to begin with, are that fantasy, of the guy that makes some noise and kicks ass, etc. Sure, there are hidden treasures of combat instructors, but you could probably learn alot from a college wrestling coach in Iowa, also. A friend of mine, who does Muay Thai and Wing Chun (odd, i know) said that the Chinese were somether at the Chi Sao, but that was about it. No one scared him. This guy can also deadlift 450 lbs....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 1:47am

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah and I think most of the ppl doing CMA in the bay are more into the display/performance aspect anyway. Or the "getting in touch with cultural roots, or "getting in touch with Chinese girls"

There are ppl out there who can teach you to really bang but...still pretty rare. I think most ppl would be better off doing muay thai, judo, BJJ or a similar combat sport.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:46am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    Certainly, there are bullying gangsters in China, but there are no epic gun battles, or kung fu fights. The Chinese try to keep things low key, in general, and are much more concerned with educating their kids and being successful, then kicking ass in a lonely gymnasium.....
    I'm going to have to disagree that there is no violence in China. Though tourists rarely, if ever, see any, Chinese Xiao Hun Hun (Roughly translated: Young hooligans), often involved with organised crime, often have knife fights on the streets late at night. Some of them have even dabbled in the MAs, especially the higher leaders. One of my wife's younger male cousins was bragging about his knife wounds. Also, I have heard that rival MA schools (That are run by individuals of low character) sometimes wage war in the alleys. You are right, though, in that it is not an every night affair. And you are also right in that CMA practitioners are not well-respected by their countrymates, who show little interest in things other than money.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 4:56am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my girlfriend used to work in china.......she has some crazy stories about how they are over there.

Hong Kong is no different than Compton

she was discriminated against becuase shes Filipino, one of her best friends went on a date with some China man an was raped an killed an he got away with it.

Africans are oppressed. they are regularly quaranteened on college campuses an abused.

an the one i hate the most. is how they have this business trade agreement with africa. but they also hire gullible africans they can rip off an exploit. while they subversively go about thier plot to carve thier niche an take over like the europeans did.

i was gonna take a vacation there but screw that. not after learning about more of thier Xenophobia and Han-dynasty Superiority complex. i thought Korea had issues but they take the cake

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:08am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi_Osiris
    my girlfriend used to work in china.......she has some crazy stories about how they are over there.

Hong Kong is no different than Compton

she was discriminated against becuase shes Filipino, one of her best friends went on a date with some China man an was raped an killed an he got away with it.

Africans are oppressed. they are regularly quaranteened on college campuses an abused.

an the one i hate the most. is how they have this business trade agreement with africa. but they also hire gullible africans they can rip off an exploit. while they subversively go about thier plot to carve thier niche an take over like the europeans did.

i was gonna take a vacation there but screw that. not after learning about more of thier Xenophobia and Han-dynasty Superiority complex. i thought Korea had issues but they take the cake
    Eh... It's no worse than any other country. In Africa militants can show up at your doorstep at any time, ****, then slay your wife, hack your childrens' members to bloody stumps, all before your eyes. And then shoot you in the head. Try going to Detroit in America, ever... It's a second world country, my arse. China is actually a lot safer than most places because there are so little guns and because there are so many people here that there are always witnesses. You'd have to be an idiot to get attacked here. Half of MA is just common sense; which many people lack, it seems.

Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/24/2007 8:34am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you got a point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:00am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wackamole
    There are ppl out there who can teach you to really bang but...still pretty rare. I think most ppl would be better off doing muay thai, judo, BJJ or a similar combat sport.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. It's worth studying Sanda if only because it's a stand-up striking MA with great anti-grappling techniques.

But that's not all, folks. No, we've still got the traditional training methods so you don't feel like you're in a fucking gym with body builders (No offense) and probably the most special thing about Sanda; Jietui (Accepting legs = kick catching/takedown). It's these things about Sanda that make its practitioners formidable fighters, even when put up against practitioners of the styles you named.

Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/24/2007 9:16am at .

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, you're like the new Hannibal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:12am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    You know, you're like the new Hannibal.
    The Hannibal in North Africa that used elephants to wage war (Pretty cool) or the one that thinks human brain matter tastes like chicken (Disturbing)?

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by new2bjj
    A friend of mine, who does Muay Thai and Wing Chun (odd, i know)... This guy can also deadlift 450 lbs....
    Please... Please, elaborate!
    Or make your friend join Bullshido and elaborate.
    Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    The Hannibal in North Africa that used elephants to wage war (Pretty cool) or the one that thinks human brain matter tastes like chicken (Disturbing)?

I'm afraid to find out which Hannibal was MaverickZ talking about, you'll have to use the Bullshido "search" button.

And about the name at the end of each post...
    I also did it for a while and sent everybody who told me not to to hell.
    Then I thought about it again.
    And stopped.
    And I didn't use such a friggin' long name.
    You could use all that space to post something meaningful, or leave it blank.

Btw, since I've never been to China, I enjoyed reading (no matter how personal) a view on the MA situation there from everyone here who went beyond ranting...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast