Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 1:48pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    stop putting your name at the end of all your posts asswipe
    Feel free to stop useing the word "arse" in every other sentence to Dick head!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 2:06pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,
    I lived in China from 1999 to 2000. There were some sanda guys at the university , as well as a guy teaching xingyi. The tough thing about CMA is that there are some unique skills, but having the skills, and using them against resistance are two different things. Oh, and gettting someone who can/will teach you is also/can also be a problem.

Who was the mantis guy? He wasn't a moderately famous actor was he?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 2:49pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wackamole
    Ronin,
    I lived in China from 1999 to 2000. There were some sanda guys at the university , as well as a guy teaching xingyi. The tough thing about CMA is that there are some unique skills, but having the skills, and using them against resistance are two different things. Oh, and gettting someone who can/will teach you is also/can also be a problem.

Who was the mantis guy? He wasn't a moderately famous actor was he?
    Not to my knowledge. He was older probably somewhere in his 50s, very stuck on himself. Took the time to point out that a recent MA event in Japan how greatly he had impressed the Japanese Karateka with his speed and then took us back to his apartment to show off all his pictures of him doing demos in Europe. I only met the guy once so I can't recall his name.

My friend is also a Shifu in Mantis and has published several articles on the state of MA outside of China. He was one of the very few Chinese instructors that I met at that time who knew who the Gracies were and was aware of MMA developing in the U.S. (this is in 1996). He is currently working on his PH.D. in Chinese Martial Arts History (I think that's what's it in)

I never had any problems getting anyone to teach me, but that may be because I spoke Mandarin.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:01pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm kidding! Would you relax?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    I lived in China from 96-97 and have been back there more times than I count.

So, more than three times?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:53pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wakinonioi
    So, more than three times?
    I could probably count out exactly how many if you like, but I'll need to take my shoes off first.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 6:24pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, most Chinese are more concerned with getting a good job or making money in business. However, there are some who are interested in traditional culture: painting, calligraphy, antiques. Martial arts is just a part of that. Further, it is not considered very "refined" to want to fight--MA is not considered suitable for gentlemen. Under Confucian system, martial artists are considered the at the same level as actors and prostitutes.

The government pours tonnes of money into sport, especially with the 2008 Olympics coming. But "sport" includes wushu and TKD more so than any traditional or combat-focused martial art.

In spite of that, I did meet a group of hardcore traditional Chen stylists in Beijing. The sifu did not seem to be so full of himself, but I guess there was a sadistic streak. They train outdoors year-round and are not allowed to wear gloves or hats. They didn't seem to mind much since they were keeping warm from training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 6:38pm

Style: etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin,
    Okay. There was someone I was thinking of who is a mantis guy, but it wasn't the guy you met.

Yeah I actually did learn something from the xingyi instructor. I sort of half ass speak Mandarin. I was too stupid then to understand what he was teaching me, but these days it makes a lot more sense, and I'm glad for the experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 7:47pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Actually, it STARTED on the downhill slop side by you essentially saying "I've found 't3h r3@l' Kung Fu. Everyone else is crap." How unoriginal.

If your original post was 1/3 of it size, at least it would have had a slight chance to be an amusing troll job instead of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah (newline) (spamming my name again).
    WRONG. I never said that. Have you ever tried to look for a good school in China? It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I started this thread because I actually care about the decline of MA around the world and am trying to contribute something here. If you have nothing to contribute GET THE **** OUT.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 8:05pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to thank Kein Haar for understanding me somewhat and, especially, Ronin. 74 for your contribution. Our experiences are quite similar, though my way of speaking is different (Probably also the reason I got trolled). Your friend sounds similar to my Shifu. One very interesting piece of information that I have recently "uncovered" is that my Shifu's Shifu is a woman. Since my Shifu has great ability (As do all of his Shixiongdi) and even more respect for her, I can only imagine what her ability must be. He told me that he will introduce me to his Shifu one of these times.

I guess my biggest point is that finding quality MA in China is very difficult, but the rewards are great. Good instructors that, not only know how to fight, but know of AND live by the Daxia/Wushu culture are indeed a dying breed. Those of us who can find one before they are history are the lucky few. Good luck to everyone. ;)

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker vbmenu_register("postmenu_1372500", true);

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 8:14pm

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fo sho 'nuff
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast