Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 7:00am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    What's the difference between a rooftop session and a normal session? Is that a cultural thing or what?
    Haha. No, it's a lack of space thing. I need to get a key to the Sandaguan, but I've been hesitant to ask my Shifu. I'll give it some time. ;)

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 7:54am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 9:01am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    - Idiot
    +++++

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 9:04am

Style: Muay thai - Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 r34l

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 9:37am

supporting memberforum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The undersigned,

"No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    It went downhill as soon as you reared your ugly head. Thanks a lot - really.

Actually, it STARTED on the downhill slop side by you essentially saying "I've found 't3h r3@l' Kung Fu. Everyone else is crap." How unoriginal.

If your original post was 1/3 of it size, at least it would have had a slight chance to be an amusing troll job instead of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah (newline) blah blah blah blah (newline) (spamming my name again).
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 10:08am

Style: PT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the write up.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 10:19am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    HA. That's very funny. Ever heard of world traveling?

Oh my, how sophisticated! Can you tell how impressed everyone is?
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 10:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maarten,

I enjoyed reading that.

I also recognize the variety of bug which crawled up an ass or two around here.

It turned into a contest of which foreigner knows teh r3al China (or something like that). Cuz obviously another round-eye has been there and done that.

This is a mere sub-species of who's had the most asian girlfriends.
    Last edited by Nid; 2/23/2007 10:49am at .

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 11:20am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lived in China from 96-97 and have been back there more times than I count between 1998-2005 mostly on travel occasionally on contract jobs. I speak Mandarin, as well as understand a couple of other dialects similar to it. I have seen numerous Wushu schools in China and attended Sanda matches as both a spectator and as an interpreter. I have traveled quite extensively in the country (especially in Shandong) from Shanghai all the way out to Lhasa in Tibet. The following is my opinion on the current situation of MA in China.

There are good Wushuguan's in China. I know of one personally that is quite large and has students from all over the country. They teach traditional Taolu (forms), but they also have coaches for Sanda, Judo, Boxing, TKD, Greco Roman Wrestling and last I knew of they were trying to add Muay Thai. Some of what Maarten says is true. Schools near temples are a lot more expensive but not necessarily better, the # of TKD schools in the country has grown exponentially in the past 10 years. In 96'-97' the only place I saw TKD was at a large WushuGuan and a couple of schools in Beijing and Shanghai. In 2005 it seemed even the smallest most rural cities had TKD schools.

Most University Athletic departments also offer Wushu programs that include Boxing, Judo, TKD, Sanda, and Traditional Forms. When I lived in China a good friend of mine was an instructor in the University Athletic dept. teaching Wushu. But he also taught Sanda, and even on occasion would have student's parents coming to his home asking him to take in their son as his student for Sanda. Through him I also met a very famous Mantis Master who fit Maarten's description perfectly, "3. ...egotistical, sadistic, arsehole..." after which my friend apologized to me repeatedly for this "Master's" behavior. My friend, a CMA Master in his own right, was embarrassed by this man's behavior.

Over the past ten years the amount of BS Mcdojos that have cropped up in China has gotten out of hand, but more recently you are starting to see more and more MMA schools popping up as well. I think it would be fair to compare the current MA situation in China to the way things were in the U.S. in 92'-93'. Mcdojos have hit an all time high, but suddenly this new concept of MMA has been introduced and the Mcdojos are now going to find themselves slowly loosing popularity.

I will leave you with a final quote from my friend made in 1997, "The way things are going with MA in China, in 10 years we'll have to learn how to fight from the Japanese" He wasn't too far off the mark. This decline of MA in China is nothing new, there are people in China who have seen it coming for a long time and have just not been able to do anything to stop it except keep their own standards high.

There are quality instructors in China, who value realistic training but their numbers are slowly and systematically decreasing, but I don't think they will be eliminated completely, they will bounce back to preserve some kind of order in the Chinese MA world.
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast