Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 10:49pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Your Country Sucks 1.0: China

I'd like to start off by saying that, although a lot of this will sound blatantly negative, this series of posts is ultimately aimed at improving the condition of said country/ies martial arts "scene". So enjoy...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha.. I bet you thought Korea would be first. Guess again, yeller bastards.. As bad as Korea is, [Mainland] China takes the cake as "THE BULLSHIDO COUNTRY". Just about every martial arts school in China is enveloped by an ominous cloud of radioactive bullshit. Let's just cover some of the main points in an easy-to-read format:

1] If it's in a temple, it sucks. AND it will cost you an arm and a leg. This includes all of the famous temples at Songshan, Wudangshan, and Emeishan. And, as my Shifu has said, they were never all that good. Think of it like this: Who would be better at fighting; a monk that spends most of his days meditating and practising, or soldiers that spend their days in combat in a kill-or-be-killed manner?

2] If it's called Wushu, it sucks. 武术 (Wushu = Martial technique) has become 舞术 (Wushu = Dancing technique). Any school linked to the Athletics Department is bound to be Taolu (forms) practise only. With shitty, flexible (But not dangerously so) weapons, the practitioners will dance about in a non-martial fashion in synchronisation with moving background music. I'm sure that 99.9% of you can understand how much that sucks. As my Shifu and I have discussed, Taolu should only ever be used for Jibengong (Foundation training). If studied in this way, Taolu can strengthen the legs, increase flexibility, enhance conditioning, warm up the body, and look cool. Taolu were mostly just the philosophy or spirit of a particular style combined with any training methods the founder prefered. It was art, but art that could develop a man's body into a fighting machine. It has little, if any other martial uses (Though some Taolu are more technical than others). Anyways, though some of you may disagree with me there, none will disagree that practising Taolu only is "martial" dancing.

3] Even if you find a teacher that can fight, 90% of the time they are egotistical, sadistic arseholes that won't really teach you how to fight and overcharge you. There are so many of these pricks in China.. They are, by far, the majority of CMA practitioners in China. 'Nuf said.

4] CMA in China are overshadowed by imported "MA", especially TKD. For every Wushuguan you can find in China there will be at least fifteen to twenty TKD Dojangs (99.9% of them WTF, by the way). In one small town I saw Dojang after Dojang and only one shitty Wushuguan. It's no wonder that CMA are fading away... There's hardly any quality left and students can get a blackbelt in a year from TKD, so what's the point? I've seen TKD, Karate, Judo, and Kendo in China and the teachers were all shitty 1st Dans who had just gotten blackbelts themselves. The bottomline is that China has been taken over by McDojo/angs and that is truly sad.

5] If you don't speak Chinese, don't bother. You will only lose a lot of time and all of your money. In Yangshuo, Guilin, for example, there are schools that only teach to foreigners. What they are teaching is pure Bullshido and they have become filty rich. In a few years I may go challenge them when I open my own Sandaguan over there.

6] If it's internal, that means that you will be forced to endure repeated anal penetrations that will leave you gasping (In pain) and with an empty wallet. 90% of MA in China are bullshit. 99.9% of Internal MA in China are bullshit. They will tell you tall tales about how you will be able to walk on long reeds with ease and send someone hurtling back ten metres with only your Qi. Needless to say, except for a few schools probably already known to some members of this forum, if it's Internal, don't even try for it.

7] If it's in a beautiful area with pristine environment, it's bullshit. This includes parks and rural retreats. Avoid them like the plague.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, now I bet you're asking; "But Maarten, what in the bloody Hell does that leave for us serious practitioners?" Not a fucking lot. If you're looking for something in China there are only two ways to find something:

A) Word of mouth. Talk to one of the well-regarded BS members in that area (If there are any) and get your arse over there.

B) Look for it yourself. I spent two years trying to find something, but the rewards are great.

There are actually some great people in China that are trying to restore China's martial prominance. My Shifu is one of them. He is also surprisingly educated about world MA (But doesn't speak a word of any foreign language) and advocates MMA (Which I see is popping up here and there). After I was admitted into their MA circle I had to change my mind about CMA being dead. Anyone is welcome to come by any time.

Your best bets in China are with Sanda. Even if you don't want to study Sanda, Sanda practitioners also often study other, more traditional, styles or at least know other people in the MA circles that do. Go look for Sandaguans and question the teachers. Also, contrary to what some members here think, I think Shuaijiao is also pretty good over here, though I hear the quality is highly variable from school to school. Sanda is pretty much MMA, anyways. Especially if you use Qinna after Shuai-ing (Taking them down to the ground) their arses, though repeated striking to the face is prefered (In self defense situations).

If you have any questions about this feel free to contact me. If you are pissed off because you study t3h r341 CMA and et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, kiss my arse and write the name of your school, where it is, and why it isn't Bullshido in your reply.

- Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

I'm grindin' 'till I'm tired...

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 10:55pm

Style: Judo. Some BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya i hurd sanda is pretty good its like mu tai but u can thro ppl
    "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
    A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
    -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could have left the message part out you know.
    カンフー

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:28pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
    When I was in China, I paid a little more than 8 cents U.S. to buy a 22 oz beer that was about as good if not better than Becks or the like. I could give the restaurant $5 U.S. and eat until my belly was gonna explode and then turn around and drink beer until I was an idiot. I could travel from the south via train all the way to the north for about $50 each way. I could get a "massage" for $10. I could get a real massage for closer for about $2.50.

In Yangshuo and Guilin there is nothing but foreigners - and snakes. I am not sure what the hell the author is going on and on about. It is a fucking Eurpean backpacker's dream. It isn't China and of course the people there are gonna turn a profit on your ass. Go cormorant fishing with them too. By the sounds of it he was there for a while and probably didn't get outside of his little box too often either. Pizza? Bartend much? What the hell?

Of course there isn't TEH REAL DEADLY MA in China. You don't go there for that. You wanna go learn some Tai Chi in Tiantan park or on the Bund with a million other chinese...that is the fucking place to do it! Why in the hell would the author spend all his dough to go to an industrial nation (just above 3rd world) and figure he is gonna get the most up to date training is beyond me.

Fucking tool.
    I think I spent about four days total on three different occasions in Yangshuo, arsewhipe. I have been through a lot of different cities around the country. Way to pick out one sentence that relates to you and go off on it, idiot. This article is about MA in China. When you actually have something to contribute to this discussion come back, otherwise go enjoy your massagys (As they call them).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicurus
    ya i hurd sanda is pretty good its like mu tai but u can thro ppl
    Though that is a generalisation, it isn't so far from accurate. Sanda doesn't use elbows and knees as much, either (Though they still have them). Competitions are held on a Leitai (Raised platform) and if you are knocked off = bad. Other than that, ja, pretty much.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    You could have left the message part out you know.
    And what would the point of that be, then?

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:43pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    tl;dr
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

How do Chameleon Circuit?

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:59pm

Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS
    Sanda is pretty much MMA, anyways. Especially if you use Qinna after Shuai-ing (Taking them down to the ground) their arses, though repeated striking to the face is prefered (In self defense situations).
    Isn't there a sticky in DHS that says qinna (or qinna + x) is not grappling?

Maarten, didn't you say before you do Dian Xue?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 12:22am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ironlurker
    Isn't there a sticky in DHS that says qinna (or qinna + x) is not grappling?

Maarten, didn't you say before you do Dian Xue?
    No, I said that it is a part of a whole. In CMA there are Ti (Kick, Da (Strike), Shuai ("Throw"), and Na (Qinna). If you want to learn how to fight you should study all of these. Dianxue is more like a subset of Qinna and basically just means that you know where to Zhua (Grab, but like a claw) them to make it more painful. It does NOT mean one touch death and if you have ever felt someone use Qinna on you as it was intended you would be a believer as well. ;) The real trick is applying the techniques in combat when people are punching, kicking, and throwing your arse. As usual, practise makes perfect. Though Qinna is the least used and least practical of the four areas of combat, if done right the fight is ended. They train Qinna to a greater extent in the military. They call it Qindiquan (Seizing Your Enemy Quan).

I wrote an article on Qinna that has since been disproven to myself through full-contact sparring. But after my Shifu handed my arse back to me he said that actually the techniques are not useless, just useless to me. HA. I guess I still have quite a ways to go. Anyways, Qinna means seizing and controlling. Through full-contact fighting I have found that I was unable to apply most standing Qinna techniques because we punch, kick, and throw as well. Usually it is far more economic to just hit someone in the face, BUT if a Qinna technique can be applied the result would be devastating. One example was a "kick catch" where you used a Qinna technique called Ning (Twist) to break their leg. In Sanda they don't use this technique, it came from higher-level Wujing (Martia police) training. These kind of simple things that I've seen over here have made it well worth my while to come here, even if Chongqing is one of the ugliest cities that I have ever been to.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 12:31am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Chorris
    Yet you picked those spots like a fucking backpacking homo that you really are. You walk around with the Lonely Planet at your fucking hipside too?

As I already pointed out, your account of the country's MA is fucking mundane. It is like going to a TKD school and the complaining about the lack of real fighting. Go **** yourself in the ass with a hammer wrapped in barbed wire you tool.
    As I've already pointed out, you know nothing of me. I've never gone backpacking and I've never read a single edition of Lonely Planet. I'll make that hammer and go back to the past Terminator-style to give it to your Mother as a birthday gift with instructions to insert it into her vagina and twist, pull, and repeat until any trace of the unborn fetus (That being you) has been removed into a pail of bloody water and I never have to repeat these annoying "conversations" with the likes of ye.

Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast