Sponsored Links Spacer Image

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 1:51am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all do you have any goals you want to get to due to a competition coming up or do you just want to start training harder?

I would scrap the workouts of upperbody one day and lower body the other. I have been doing full body workouts 2x a week for over a year now and it is great.

I would squat one day and dead the other, that pretty much gets rid of all that hip flexor/groin/ham curls/adductor/abductor exercises. Save a good amount of time and will build strength better, which is your goal. Your hip flexor/groin/ham curls/adductor/abductor will all be worked out by squats/deads as they try and stabilize the heavy weights you will be pulling/pushing.

Now throw some upperbody in, a vertical press (military) and a vertical pull (weighted pullup) one day, and a horizontal press( bench) and a horizontal pull (rows) the other day. You now have two complete time conscious full body workouts to increase absolute strength in all major movements.

Repsxsets seem cool, just lift fast, as fast as you comfortably can anyway. Exert as much pressure on the bar as you can (even if it is moving like a snail on heavy weights you lift as fast as you can) to increase your explosivness.

Personally I waited until I developed my goal absolute strength before working specifically on explosiveness because I read on a few places its easier to condition a strong athlete compared to trying to get a conditioned athlete strong. Once you get strong enough, mantain it and use the extra time to work on olys or plyos more.

Lastly for conditioning I have recently been doing pushup, pullups, divebombers no rest max and am never really gassed anymore at all.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 1:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two basic full body workouts for a normal gym:

Day 1: Bench, Squat, BOR (Strenght)
    Push press, speed squat/bench (explosiveness)

Day 2: Military, Dead, Weighted Pullup(strength)
    oly technique practice (get good technique with moderate weights to learn movement for a while)

After every workout go for bodyweight exercise like burpees, pullups, divebombers etc.(muscular endurance)

No straps or other equipment, don't go to failure a lot, keep a log, always look to increase speed or poundage.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 3:26am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^^Knows what hes talking about Judah. Unlike some other guys, he doesnt neglect an area or think "only bodyweight" or "only powerlifting!"

I was trying to get in a 3day weight program, but could never get the thrid one in, so I would say "ok this week I wont have time so Ill just do 2x full body, but Ill get 3x next week", but the 2x full body is working great. I havent been deadlifting just

Squat, Bench, Row, Incline Bench and Dumbbell Clean and PushPress. Making good gains so far.

I hadnt thought about doing my bodyweight stuff after my weight workout, Ill do that methinks.

BTW I know LI GUY 1 knows what hes doing cause he lives upstairs, where the civilized folk get to live. "OOOOO LOOK AT ME!!! I GET HEAT UP HERE!!!OOOOOO"

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 6:34am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look into complex movements as well. They are great for anereobic/lactic conditioning. Thats right a a grapplers alley. I have also been working on "man killers". I honstly can't remember the name of the movement at 4 in the morning. But it's done on the machine that basically puts you into the splits and you have to close your legs against resistance. It has greatly imptoved my leg endurance and ability to keep pressure on a guy while he is in my gaurd or I have him in mount.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 8:09am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all do you have any goals you want to get to due to a competition coming up or do you just want to start training harder?
    Training harder, for now. If I was competing, I'd probably do 4-5 days of BJJ and maybe 1 full-body workout a week.

Pushups and the other bodyweight conditioning, I can do at work. But it'd probably be a bad idea to do a lot of that stuff at work, then go to the gym and try to pump some serious iron, right?

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's why I do the bodyweight after my lifting. I do it on off days sometimes to, getst the blood flowing for active recovery in addition to the conditioning.

I do my grip stuff whenver I feel like it by the way. Every other day I at least get something in. Only using the CoC for now but will start pinching plates in 5 minutes.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How many battalions are in your fitness regiment?

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:24pm

Style: Throwing, and Matwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do clubbell work to wake up and on my off days. Just to get the blood flowing.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:42pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by THX-1138
    How many battalions are in your fitness regiment?
    More importantly, which Fitness Division do you belong to?

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 12:27am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Revised plan based on feedback - 2 total-body lift sessions per week:

10 min jump rope warmup
    Light dynamic stretching

Superset 1 - Barbell Squats OR Deadlifts & Neck exercises (Bridges, elevated raises, etc, done to near-failure)
    Superset 2 - Dumbbell Military Press and Toe Raises (done to near failure for shinsplints)
    Superset 3 - Dumbbell Bench Press + Abs (such as Jackknife situps done to near-failure or with medicine ball)
    Superset 4 - Lat Pulldowns (until strong enough for wide-grip pullups) and Back Extensions
    Superset 5 - Chinups and Obliques exercise
    Superset 6 - Hip Adductor/Groin muscle rehab and Lat rows
    Superset 7 - Tricep pulldowns and grip work

Unless it's going to be too much to do both horizontal and vertical press/pull exercises in the same day?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast