Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:19pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Need Stretching Advice

My low cup kick is fucking great. My mid kick to the ribs, also really good.

My cup kick to the head... Non existent.

What stretches and excercises do I need to do to get my kick to the neck deadly? Without looking like I'm in serious pain (Because I am in pain) doing it.

Thank you, and my groin muscles thank you too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's a "CUP KICK?"
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:59pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Round house kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 3:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is kind of the idiot's summary of that book Stretching Scientifically, but it's an approach that's helped my pushing-40-and-not-very-limber ass out:

1. Before workout: warm up a bit, light static stretching (i.e., holding a stretch), then dynamic stretching (i.e., swinging legs up, back and to the side 5-10 times, trying to increase the length of the swing just a bit each time).
    2. After workout: hardcore static stretching, holding leg, hip and lower-back stretches for 1-2 minutes each.

As a big, bulky guy, I've found I hit higher kicks more effectively from far away, usually when an opponent steps straight back and drops his hands. I take a big step forward and just kind of whip that **** up there.

I don't know about you, but my hips are completely incapable of doing this without something to stop the kick, i.e., bag or opponent. Trying to throw high kicks while just shadowboxing and fuckin' around and such generates extreme pain. I have to commit to it and hit something to pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 5:30pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be freakin' careful with stretching the groin. You don't want to end up with an inguinal hernia like yours truly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:18pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a specific Dynamic Stretch Routine, courtesy of Lanna:

Dynamic Stretching

This is the main part of the warm up stretch routine. Please follow all the instructions carefully. This is not a balancing exercise or a strength exercise nor is it a competition to see who can stretch the farthest. Be aware of your own limitations and at all times think about and control your movements. Do not jerk or bounce through any movements and if you experience any pain then you are going to far or doing the movement incorrectly.

Dynamic stretching follows Joint Rotation in the morning routine but if you are starting your training in the afternoon 5-10 minutes of skipping or light shadow boxing should replace the joint rotation as a way of warming the muscles prior to stretching.

There are three main sections- the Arms-the Torso-the Legs. At the start of each section perform waist rotation as in the joint rotation, 10 times clockwise and 10 anti clockwise.

The Arms-

1) Marching Arms-Stand with feet shoulder width apart and begin by moving the arms as if marching. Slowly increase the movements of the arms higher until the hands touch above the head. Use 7 to 8 movements to reach maximum height and perform 10 movements in total. This movement is the most difficult to co ordinate but comes with practice.

2) Arm Hugs-Stand with feet shoulder width apart and begin by hugging yourself across the shoulders then swing your arms out and behind. Slowly increase the movements from hug to behind until your hands touch behind (or as close as you can) with 7 to 8 movements and do 10 in total. Be very careful with this movement. Lead and Control your arms at all times, do not just throw your arms behind.

3) Marching Arms- Repeat the first exercise, go to maximum stretch over 10 movements.

4) Arm Hugs- Repeat the second exercise; go to maximum stretch over 10 movements.

Waist Rotation, 10 times clockwise and 10 times anti clockwise.

The Torso-

1) Torso Rotation- Sit on the floor, legs straight and as open as wide as is comfortable. Keep the back straight, head up and arms extended out to the side. Begin with short rotations first to the left and then to the right side, slowly extending your movements over 25 to 26 movements to reach your maximum stretch and perform 30 in total (15 each side). To help keep the correct form through each movement look to your hand with each rotation and keep the movements flowing and continuous. You may experience slight cramping in the thigh or groin region initially as this can be a difficult position to hold for an extended period of time. To ease the discomfort sit with your legs closer together and slightly bent at the knees.

2) Side Stretch- Keeping the same sitting position as Torso Rotation, place your hands behind your head with elbows out to the side, back straight, and head up bend first to the left then the right. Begin with short movements and slowly increase to your maximum by the 25th or 26th movement, doing 30 movements in total. Similar discomfort as with Torso Rotation may be experienced and can be relieved in the same manner.

3) Groin and Back Stretch- Keeping the same position as Side Stretch begin with hands behind the head, elbows to the side, back straight and head up, curl your body downwards bringing the elbows into your groin, then return to the start position with your elbows back, head up and back straight. Exhale with each downward movement and curl in towards the groin with each movement and not forward.

4) Lower Back Curl- Lie on your stomach with legs straight behind and hands placed on the floor, level with the shoulders. Begin by raising your head off the floor, concentrating on using the lower back muscles to do the lifting and also holding the stomach muscles in to help support the back at the same time. The arms should be for support only and not used to press up. Slowly build the movements to your maximum lift by 17 or 18 movements. Perform 20 movements in total. Once 20 movements are complete come up from the lying position and sit back on your heels keeping your arms out stretched in front and chest on your knees, feel the stretch in the lower back, hold for a count of 20. This is an excellent exercise for building the lower back but can also aggravate back problems if not performed properly.

Waist Rotation, 10 times clockwise and 10 times anti clockwise.

The Legs-

1) Front Leg Raises- Standing with feet facing forward, place right hand on support, i.e. chair back, post, or ideally a barre or ring rope, and raise the left foot with leg straight to touch the left hand. The first movement should be very low (1 to 2 feet only) and with each successive leg raise increase the height of the hand until you reach your maximum stretch by movement 8 or 9. Perform 10 movements in total. Then repeat with the right leg. Always use your hand to stop the leg raises and use a support to balance yourself. The maximum stretch must only be the last two or three movements, keep the support leg slightly bent and foot firmly on the floor. Pause between each leg raise, this will help you to keep control of your movements. Always lead and control what you do!

2) Side Front Leg Raises- Stand with the right foot facing forward and the left foot turned outwards 90 degrees and then raise the leg to the side to the out stretched hand (again the first movement should only be to 1 or 2 feet) keeping the toes pointed upwards. As in the front leg raises the procedure is the same.

3) Side Leg Raises- Stand with the right foot turned outwards at 90 degrees and raises the left leg to the side keeping the foot sideways. Though you may find it difficult to reach the foot with your hand you should still use the hand as a stop on the thigh or knee. Proceed as with the front leg raises. This stretch is usually more difficult than front leg raises so do not expect to be able to lift your leg as high as previous stretches.

4) Rear Leg Raises- Stand facing your support and using both hands on the support raise one leg straight out behind with the heel going up first and look over the shoulder on the same side as the leg being raised. Bend the body forward as you raise the leg behind and as the hands are not used to stop the leg extra control of each movement is important. When returning to the start position ensure that you step in and bring the hips forward slightly to release the tension in the lower back. Once again all the same rules apply as in the front leg raises.

This completes the Warm up stretch routine. Be aware that it will take 4-6 weeks of careful practice doing the routine twice through each session to properly develop the routine to the stage where you can effectively and safely run through the stretches in less than 15 minutes. This routine is designed to prepare you for the sport you are about to do, Muay Thai, where you will be extending the arms and legs to their fullest extent of their reach with speed and power!

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    frog stretch might help. Stand feet shoulder width apart. Reach down, grab tops of feet or ankles. Lower your butt, put your elbows on the insides of the knees and press out. Flatten the back as best you can. Stretch groin, breathe deep.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:26pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From when I took MT instructor said sit sideways against a wall in nylon sweats, lay your back down on the floor, swing your legs onto the wall, scoot your but up to the wall, spread your legs, and let gravity stretch you and sit there. Oh yeah have a book, magazine and/or IPOD
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."