Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 1:09am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fu Style Tai Chi - Fusion Medicine

This school is very laid back, and with none of the formality (or risk) I'm used to in Karate or Judo dojos. The teacher seems well-versed in the styles he teaches (Fu, which includes elements of Bagua), and is always willing to demonstrate techniques.

As a gym it's lacking - it's essentially a backyard. There's no ring, mats, bags, balls or weapons. It's just us and the teacher. This allows for more intimacy and attention, but it wouldn't do for someone interested in fighting and conditioning (in a modern sense).

I can't compare the school to other Tai Chi places, as I haven't trained in any others. What I can say is that there's no resistance training whatsoever - it's all forms. It's possible that the teacher would introduce sparring for interested parties, but I certainly won't be asking anytime soon. Anyone who expected full-contact, fast fighting would be very disappointed. I find it frustrating, but this has more to do with my injury than with the school.

Typical class start with warm-ups of the major joints, and some stretching. Beginners then start their forms, which are corrected. New sections (they're long forms) are then added. Later on the more advanced students arrive, and we practice our forms. Then we put on the MMA gloves and... wait. No, then we do more forms.

Inasmuch as 'martial' refers to fighting, this isn't a martial arts school. But it is an enjoyable, casual, relaxing place, which suits me until I'm able to go a little harder and faster.
    Last edited by DAYoung; 2/28/2007 4:45am at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon