Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 2:50pm

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

shadow boxing

as I have said I do swordsmanship, but I do have enough understanding of boxing to correctly shadowbox, now sometimes I'll add this to my workouts and somtimes I won't

but I do notice that when do this stuff on a regular, my own reflexes get better, like I'll catch a ball better,and my hands won't feel so clumsy all the time, now I guess I get the common sense part of this, but does anybody know the science behind, by doing shadow boxing do I train certain connections in my brain then I do when only doing weight lifting and sword training

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 3:48pm

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    but I do have enough understanding of boxing to correctly shadowbox,
    This is incredibly dangerous to do without propler training!

Before you start -real- shadow boxing, you should spend several months
    AT LEAST washing walls and refinishing floors for an elderly Asian man.

Many people say working for an elderly Japanese is the only proper way to do this, but if one isn't available in your area any asian man will do, just so he's elderly!

Find one immediately, and LEAVE THOSE SHADOWS ALONE for the time being!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahahahah!!!

nice!!

I needed that, thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:08pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me, proper shadowboxing is about visualization. You only get a fraction of the benefit from shadowboxing if you are just throwing techniques and combos for the sake of throwing combos. However, if you are actively visualizing an opponent, and reacting to specific movements, then you are developing a real skill IMO. I try to train so that as much as my traininig as possible will translate easily into actual competition. Shadowboxing is a HUGE part of this.

Just some examples of what I am talking about:

Sometimes I visualize that I am fighting an aggressive fighter, so I practice counter-techniques and lots of lateral movement. I visualize the opposition coming at me constantly, and I have to stay on my bike.

Other times, I invision a really defensive fighter, and he has to be solved. Lots of probing attacks, feints, etc.

This, in my experience, is a hell of a lot better then "jab-cross-hook... jab-hook-cross... jab-cross-right kick... jab-cross-left kick... repeat"

Hope this made sense.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    does anybody know the science behind, by doing shadow boxing do I train certain connections in my brain then I do when only doing weight lifting and sword training
    Yes. You do rapid precise movements while shadowboxing. Your body is adapting to that stress to better and more efficiently move when you tell it. This isn't different than the weightlifting "newbie gains". You don't actually gain muscle, you become better at using the muscle you have.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, what they said!

You already can take a jab, nyuk, nyuk.

Seriously, good conditioning. Put on some music and work until lightly fatigued.
    Personally, I think any "3-dimensional" exercise like shadow boxing works a lot of accessory muscles that are normally neglected in standard, linear exercises like conventional weight lifting which tends to focus on major muscle groups only.

A little off track, but maybe helpful; a book came out some years ago called "Why Michael Can't Hit". Don't remember the author's name, but he was a Neurologist and sports nut. It got pretty dry, but still had a lot of interesting info.

First chapter was a discussion on why Michael Jordan couldn't make it in MLB, which had a good discussion on the connection of vision with motor neurons and muscle control.

Second chapter was on Primo Carnera, and went into (almost too much) detail on the physics of punching. Don't know if I'd buy it, but you may find it in the library . . .

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 11:23pm

Style: Wing Chun, Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Truthfully all its good for is improving your form and coordination.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 4:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Alexton

Hiraido, never heard of that, what is it,

I've heard of all kinds of different martial arts, from Pencak Silat to Parisian Grappling, but I've never of Hiraido, is that a specific school in a style or is it an overall method on it's own.

from the name it sounds Japanese, sorry if I'm blathering here but I go nuts anytime come across a martial art I haven't heard about

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 4:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelton
    Truthfully all its good for is improving your form and coordination.
    Well, if that is true, its still a pretty big deal. Coordination affects everything, so any improvement is highly desireable, especially in those of us (i.e., ME) who aren't world-class athletes to begin with.

"Form" is a big word to a "Taiji" guy like myself; being able to manuever and, ultimately, fight while maintaining a good body structure enables one to both take and give a lot of force effectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 7:46pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hiraido, never heard of that, what is it,

I've heard of all kinds of different martial arts, from Pencak Silat to Parisian Grappling, but I've never of Hiraido, is that a specific school in a style or is it an overall method on it's own.

from the name it sounds Japanese, sorry if I'm blathering here but I go nuts anytime come across a martial art I haven't heard about

I'm interested to know about this art as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast