225007 Bullies, 3626 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 178
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:59pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ew, me a killing moon are going to have a field day with this one.

    Two years ago I tried an experiment. I seperated all my groups (kickboxing, SAMBO, and Kung-fu) into two different learning groups. One would learn by pure modern orthodox practice and live sparring and the other would learn via two man sets.

    We found better results from the guys doing the two man sets (yes choreographed fighting). As soon as we took the group that learned modern orthodox method and taught them the sets their game improved dramatically. Sorry dude, but two man sets are an excellent drill for teaching and learning.
  2. Askari is offline

    The Bottom Brick

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,069

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:00pm


     Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    This herein is the problem.
    The claim is that somehow two man forms will help hone your fighting skill or will somehow make you a good fighter.

    Here lies the bullshit, people.

    THIS is a two man form that they're speaking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0T9XmHAn94
    Hung Gar is a TMA, that form is part of the style. It doesnt look terribly combat effective to me, but I dont do Hung Gar.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"
  3. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:04pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Ew, me a killing moon are going to have a field day with this one.

    Two years ago I tried an experiment. I seperated all my groups (kickboxing, SAMBO, and Kung-fu) into two different learning groups. One would learn by pure modern orthodox practice and live sparring and the other would learn via two man sets.

    We found better results from the guys doing the two man sets (yes choreographed fighting). As soon as we took the group that learned modern orthodox method and taught them the sets their game improved dramatically. Sorry dude, but two man sets are an excellent drill for teaching and learning.
    Okay fellas I asked for this to be moved here so we can keep it on topic.

    I agree with Omega. If the Two Man sets are done correctly, drilled with hard contact, and good speed they are a helpful TOOL.

    Now, if you are using them to replace sparring and other training they suck.
  4. Killing Moon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    448

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:13pm


     Style: Chinese Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless
    Ew, me a killing moon are going to have a field day with this one.

    Two years ago I tried an experiment. I seperated all my groups (kickboxing, SAMBO, and Kung-fu) into two different learning groups. One would learn by pure modern orthodox practice and live sparring and the other would learn via two man sets.

    We found better results from the guys doing the two man sets (yes choreographed fighting). As soon as we took the group that learned modern orthodox method and taught them the sets their game improved dramatically. Sorry dude, but two man sets are an excellent drill for teaching and learning.
    Okay, but are these "sets" that you're speaking of as extensive as the forms shown within the video?
    Last edited by Killing Moon; 2/21/2007 1:16pm at .
  5. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:20pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay first thing you need to do is lay out your description here. I read that thread and it actually isn't horrible.

    You are trying to force your definition on people while not accepting their opinion.
  6. Killing Moon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    448

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:38pm


     Style: Chinese Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, in order to clarify what from what, I’ve described “forms” as what everyone already knows them as…katas (in Japanese, of course). Such as White Crane Form, or Lohan Form; I try not to use the word “set” for forms because it tends to blur the lines and ends up creating BS through the semantic confusion.

    Obviously we know what drills are. A concentrated set of movements in order to develop a skill. Like a push up drill, a pad drill (for accuracy, rhythm and or defense) or even a sprinting drill. But from everyone’s experience (or from mine), “drills” are usually much shorter as they’re concentrating on a very specific technique/skill of some sort.

    Forms are choreographed movements imitating the scenario of a fight. Obviously some forms may contain smaller methods that can be broken up into drills or were drills at one time. But the form is obviously much longer in comparison and eventually changes from a drill and into a choreographed demonstration (especially with two people).


    Gaaargh, I hope I’m not talking in circles here.
    Does anyone get what I’m saying here?
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,976

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:44pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually yes.

    You are splitting hairs.

    XMA=/=Wushu=/=CMA yet they all practice forms. Now what you've done is blur these lines in your definitions.

    There are performance forms, training forms, balance forms, and drilling forms. Yes, entire forms that are drills.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:46pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Okay, but are these "sets" that you're speaking of as extensive as the forms shown within the video?
    yes...
  9. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:47pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    Okay, in order to clarify what from what, I’ve described “forms” as what everyone already knows them as…katas (in Japanese, of course). Such as White Crane Form, or Lohan Form; I try not to use the word “set” for forms because it tends to blur the lines and ends up creating BS through the semantic confusion.

    Obviously we know what drills are. A concentrated set of movements in order to develop a skill. Like a push up drill, a pad drill (for accuracy, rhythm and or defense) or even a sprinting drill. But from everyone’s experience (or from mine), “drills” are usually much shorter as they’re concentrating on a very specific technique/skill of some sort.

    Forms are choreographed movements imitating the scenario of a fight. Obviously some forms may contain smaller methods that can be broken up into drills or were drills at one time. But the form is obviously much longer in comparison and eventually changes from a drill and into a choreographed demonstration (especially with two people).


    Gaaargh, I hope I’m not talking in circles here.
    Does anyone get what I’m saying here?

    No....
  10. Killing Moon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    448

    Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:50pm


     Style: Chinese Martial Arts

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Actually yes.

    You are splitting hairs.

    XMA=/=Wushu=/=CMA yet they all practice forms. Now what you've done is blur these lines in your definitions.

    There are performance forms, training forms, balance forms, and drilling forms. Yes, entire forms that are drills.
    Really, so does this mean that the relation of forms in TMAs or in say MMAs are relatively the same?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.