Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:59pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ew, me a killing moon are going to have a field day with this one.

Two years ago I tried an experiment. I seperated all my groups (kickboxing, SAMBO, and Kung-fu) into two different learning groups. One would learn by pure modern orthodox practice and live sparring and the other would learn via two man sets.

We found better results from the guys doing the two man sets (yes choreographed fighting). As soon as we took the group that learned modern orthodox method and taught them the sets their game improved dramatically. Sorry dude, but two man sets are an excellent drill for teaching and learning.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:00pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Moon
    This herein is the problem.
    The claim is that somehow two man forms will help hone your fighting skill or will somehow make you a good fighter.

Here lies the bullshit, people.

THIS is a two man form that they're speaking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0T9XmHAn94
    Hung Gar is a TMA, that form is part of the style. It doesnt look terribly combat effective to me, but I dont do Hung Gar.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:04pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless

Two years ago I tried an experiment. I seperated all my groups (kickboxing, SAMBO, and Kung-fu) into two different learning groups. One would learn by pure modern orthodox practice and live sparring and the other would learn via two man sets.

We found better results from the guys doing the two man sets (yes choreographed fighting). As soon as we took the group that learned modern orthodox method and taught them the sets their game improved dramatically. Sorry dude, but two man sets are an excellent drill for teaching and learning.
    Okay fellas I asked for this to be moved here so we can keep it on topic.

I agree with Omega. If the Two Man sets are done correctly, drilled with hard contact, and good speed they are a helpful TOOL.

Now, if you are using them to replace sparring and other training they suck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:13pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless

Okay, but are these "sets" that you're speaking of as extensive as the forms shown within the video?
    Last edited by Killing Moon; 2/21/2007 1:16pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:20pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay first thing you need to do is lay out your description here. I read that thread and it actually isn't horrible.

You are trying to force your definition on people while not accepting their opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, in order to clarify what from what, I’ve described “forms” as what everyone already knows them as…katas (in Japanese, of course). Such as White Crane Form, or Lohan Form; I try not to use the word “set” for forms because it tends to blur the lines and ends up creating BS through the semantic confusion.

Obviously we know what drills are. A concentrated set of movements in order to develop a skill. Like a push up drill, a pad drill (for accuracy, rhythm and or defense) or even a sprinting drill. But from everyone’s experience (or from mine), “drills” are usually much shorter as they’re concentrating on a very specific technique/skill of some sort.

Forms are choreographed movements imitating the scenario of a fight. Obviously some forms may contain smaller methods that can be broken up into drills or were drills at one time. But the form is obviously much longer in comparison and eventually changes from a drill and into a choreographed demonstration (especially with two people).

Gaaargh, I hope I’m not talking in circles here.
    Does anyone get what I’m saying here?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:44pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually yes.

You are splitting hairs.

XMA=/=Wushu=/=CMA yet they all practice forms. Now what you've done is blur these lines in your definitions.

There are performance forms, training forms, balance forms, and drilling forms. Yes, entire forms that are drills.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, but are these "sets" that you're speaking of as extensive as the forms shown within the video?
    yes...

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:47pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, in order to clarify what from what, I’ve described “forms” as what everyone already knows them as…katas (in Japanese, of course). Such as White Crane Form, or Lohan Form; I try not to use the word “set” for forms because it tends to blur the lines and ends up creating BS through the semantic confusion.

Obviously we know what drills are. A concentrated set of movements in order to develop a skill. Like a push up drill, a pad drill (for accuracy, rhythm and or defense) or even a sprinting drill. But from everyone’s experience (or from mine), “drills” are usually much shorter as they’re concentrating on a very specific technique/skill of some sort.

Forms are choreographed movements imitating the scenario of a fight. Obviously some forms may contain smaller methods that can be broken up into drills or were drills at one time. But the form is obviously much longer in comparison and eventually changes from a drill and into a choreographed demonstration (especially with two people).

Gaaargh, I hope I’m not talking in circles here.
    Does anyone get what I’m saying here?

No....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    Actually yes.

You are splitting hairs.

XMA=/=Wushu=/=CMA yet they all practice forms. Now what you've done is blur these lines in your definitions.

There are performance forms, training forms, balance forms, and drilling forms. Yes, entire forms that are drills.
    Really, so does this mean that the relation of forms in TMAs or in say MMAs are relatively the same?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast