Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:17am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO the main thing wrong with Boxing now are the promoters. They all have their stable and rarely have guys from same promoter fight. It takes years some time to get some guys to fight. I think government control (one boxing org instead of alphabet soup) would be a lot better for boxers and boxing fans. I think MMA will be seen as fringe sport for quite a while yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:19am

Style: Boxing, MMA/MT/BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always thought that a boxing leage that only used MMA sized gloves would be interesting, but there are a more than few boxers that injure their hands even with the padding that 16 oz gloves and handwraps provide.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:46am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    IMO the main thing wrong with Boxing now are the promoters. They all have their stable and rarely have guys from same promoter fight. It takes years some time to get some guys to fight. I think government control (one boxing org instead of alphabet soup) would be a lot better for boxers and boxing fans. I think MMA will be seen as fringe sport for quite a while yet.

Bingo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:47am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meggaman7
    I've always thought that a boxing leage that only used MMA sized gloves would be interesting, but there are a more than few boxers that injure their hands even with the padding that 16 oz gloves and handwraps provide.

This is why MMA gloves will never work. Your hands are your ONLY weapons in boxing. Also, you must think of the number of fights these guys have had during the amateurs, then on to the pros..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman

I will agree if you are speaking specifically about the Heavy Weight division but the lower weight divisions have been going to war for the past 5-6 years. There have been some superfights and Mayweather, De Lahoya getting it on in May is an example of the lower weight divisions putting on excellent matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:09am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think having 8 counts makes for a better spectacle as fights don't end as abruptly as some MMA fights do. I also think stand up fighting is more exciting to watch than wrestling so I don't think MMA will ever take over from boxing.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:28am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wataboxa
    I will agree if you are speaking specifically about the Heavy Weight division but the lower weight divisions have been going to war for the past 5-6 years. There have been some superfights and Mayweather, De Lahoya getting it on in May is an example of the lower weight divisions putting on excellent matches.

Yes but how many years has it taken fot this fight to finally happen?

Too many, that's how many.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:36am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nastyned
    I think having 8 counts makes for a better spectacle as fights don't end as abruptly as some MMA fights do. I also think stand up fighting is more exciting to watch than wrestling so I don't think MMA will ever take over from boxing.
    I like to watch striking better than wrestling also. IMHO 8 counts lead to more damage to boxers who have been hurt and then are given a chance to recover so they can take more damage. If a boxer was hurt bad enuff for the ref to step in then the fight should be over. I still think boxing could pick up some ideas from MMA. As I said earlier it would bring the sport back to its roots. Lighter gloves, less rounds, more action.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great fighters who "bring it" make great fights Standing or grappling

Watch this

[media]http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/search/karo%2Bvs%2B/video/x14qb7_nightmare-vs-heat-hl-by-vodkaholico[/media]

http://www.dailymotion.com/visited/s...by-vodkaholico

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Yes but how many years has it taken fot this fight to finally happen?

Too many, that's how many.

Well you have to understand that during these years Mayweather was moving up in weight. Also, during this time Mayweather fought, Corrales, Judah, and Gotti. All worthy oppenents. De Lahoya has an impressive resume as well. Hopkins, Mayorga,Mosely and Trinidad. So, would I have liked to see this fight a couple of years ago? SURE!! However, both Boxers are just about perfect at their sport which, I believe makes the match perfect in timing.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast