Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:41am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA and the future of boxing.

I think it would be interesting to speculate on what effect MMA will have on the future of boxing, or what effect you would like it to have. As MMA events become more popular it may begin to draw fans away from boxing. I know I can only afford so many pay per view events and will pick UFC almost every time.

Boxing, while an awesome striking system, has lost some techniques that were common in bare knuckle fights and added others due to the addition of large gloves and the removal of standing grappling skills. Striking in MMA is probably closer bare knuckle boxing (BKB) that it is to modern ring boxing because the rules are closer to how a BKB fight would have been fought. I think you would see a revolution in boxing skills if they moved to the MMA glove and allowed grabbing and fighting out of the clinch, even without kicks or throws. Getting rid of the standing 8 count would be good also. If you canít fight, you lose.

I read that in Australia they were going to hold a pro boxing event base on the K1 elimination tournament format. Fewer rounds and multiple fights in one night. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Opposing opinions and nutriding are welcome.

Hit something, be happy.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:01am

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fully agree that the standing 8-count has to go. It's basically promoting more brain damage.
    Regarding boxing adopting MMA gloves and adding clinch fighting again, I think that, while it'd probably more fun to watch then standard boxing, why not just do MMA? Then again, it might just be my already biased standpoint on MMA talking.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive turned off more than one boxing match aftr the ref let a fight go WAY after it should have been stopped to protect a fighter from damage. they need to stop that **** for a start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:09am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the UFC, and others like it in time, will surpass boxing.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechidude
    I think the UFC, and others like it in time, will surpass boxing.
    I agree, but what will boxing do to try and stay viable. I think a move back to smaller gloves, stoppages based on MMA standards (the fighter can not defend himself) and fewer , maybe longer, rounds would bring boxing back closer to it roots.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:26am

Style: Uechi Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3
    I agree, but what will boxing do to try and stay viable. I think a move back to smaller gloves, stoppages based on MMA standards (the fighter can not defend himself) and fewer , maybe longer, rounds would bring boxing back closer to it roots.
    Maybe switch to 6 oz 8 oz gloves. I dont think that would help boxing (by itself), but less interference by the ref's, allow clinching (if they are still hitting each other of course). Yes making the rounds more like 5 minutes, would probably make it more interesting. Say 10 rounds at 5 minutes for pros, 5 rounds for amatuers at 5 minutes per round.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uechidude
    Maybe switch to 6 oz 8 oz gloves. I dont think that would help boxing (by itself), but less interference by the ref's, allow clinching (if they are still hitting each other of course). Yes making the rounds more like 5 minutes, would probably make it more interesting. Say 10 rounds at 5 minutes for pros, 5 rounds for amatuers at 5 minutes per round.
    I lean towards fewer rounds. Too many boxers are looking at a long fight and try to pace themselves for it. Fewers rounds would mean more action per round.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:42am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see a modern format based on the old London Prize Ring rules - punching, clinching and throwing allowed, points awarded for knock-downs and clean throws, victory by points, surrender or knock-out. The clinching and wrestling element would reduce the chances of brain trauma and lend spectacle (only clean throws count) and the lack of kicks and groundfighting would be a point of difference from UFC-style contests.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:45am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA will not Surpass boxing. Although MMA has it's place it's not boxing and (imo) MMA isn't as entertaining. I don't think boxing needs to change one ibt. Pro Boxers know the rules very well and if this is their chose sport then they must live and in some cases die with it.

Boxing as a sport has a good 100 years of a head start. MMA has a long way to go. Also, boxing is VERY big amongst minority groups. In particular Blacks and Latinos....I don't see this changing in the near future.
    Last edited by Wataboxa; 2/21/2007 9:47am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:15am

Style: BJJ and Westernized TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to love boxing. I still will watch the heavyweights. I can't really get into it like I used to though. Not just because of MMA although that has a lot to do with it. It is the big clown gloves. I hate those goofy gloves. They take the reality out of it. They give you a false sense of what a hard punch feels like and also what you can block.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast