Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:08am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Head Movement: Hands up or down?

For some reason, head movement comes much easier to me with my hands down than up. I think it's that having my hands up makes my shoulders tighter than having them down, which restricts my neck's mobility. At the same time, when I watch better boxers, I see the same thing. When their head is moving, their hands are down lower than their face. I remember Annatrocity talking about how she keeps her hands down so she can move her head more. Is this an acceptable practice, or am I just instilling some bad habits that'll get me knocked around more seriously?

Yeah, kinda a n00b question, but I'd like to hear the opinion of more experienced strikers. Do you find your hands dropping when you move your head, or do I just need to learn to relax those shoulders while keeping my hands up?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:33am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its also harder to move out of the way of punches when you have your hands up because while your head might dodge the punch hits your gloves which messes with whatever you are doing. try it both ways and see. i personally keep my hands up, but i only slip, i dont weave. weaving gets you a knee in the teef.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I noticed that about the gloves as well. I can slip ok with my gloves up, but I'm much better with my goves down.
    "Emevas,

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:31am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also a balance thing. I think visibility has a bit to do with it aswell. it's easier to see **** coming with your hands down.

if you're good at it then it can be a wonderful way to look badass.

I'LL NEVER KEEP MY HANDS UP. FAGS

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like to keep my hands about collar bone level so they're just close enough that I can cover when I need to, but they're our of the way enough so my gloves don't block my peripheral vision. I do find a lot of times that it's easier for me to avoid punches in a lot of instances if I keep my left hand down, especially against a shorter apponent (though against taller people I suck at avoiding that right hand).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep my right hand on my chin and my left hand down around nipple-level, which seems to be a good compromise for me.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, when I say my hands are "down", they're about collarbone level. The visibility is another factor.
    "Emevas,

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 11:43am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have slow hands and short arms...so my thumbs stay pinned to my head most of the time. I still bob and weave OK.

Then again, I have actually won fights by breaking the opponent's hand against my face, so take it how you will...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 4:24pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach, when we do counter drills, always says the same thing. When you slip to the right, drop your left glove slightly, just below your chin, so the punch slips right by your cheek and then over your glove. Vice versa for left. This will prevent the punch from hitting the glove as your slip, it also lets you set up for a counter. Always keep the opposite hand tucked right by your face tho (at least one hand should always stay up). Basically, you have one hand high up as normal, and one slightly below your chin, which the punch slides over.

Weaving, I always keep my hands up - unless you've got the agility of Mike Tyson, keeping your hands down leaves your face open for uppercuts. Or, like Alex said, a knee and hospital bills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 6:07pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's easier to move the head fast when the hands are a bit low. The body is a "mass system" which is a term used in mechanics. Pretty much all the motions I know can be justified through mechanics, and in particular the notion of mass systems.
    So basically, keeping the hands low let them move in an opposite direction to the head (or stay where they are) giving a "counter weight" for the heads fast movement.
    If you keep your hands glued to your chin, they will follow the heads movement, thus making the mass that has to accelarate bigger, AND you loose the "counter mass/acceleration".

That being said, I recommend having your right hand up close to the chin, and learn to catch jabs, left hooks, crosses and if you're lucky, the uppercut with your right hand. :)
    The left hand can then be at "nipple level" as mentioned above for some nice counter left hooks.

Btw, the mass system theory of mechanics is excellent in describing the muay thai round house kick with all it's arm movements and such.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast