Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 11:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the new york times today...

"Vernon Township, N.J., Aug. 11 - A hiker bashed a bear in the nose with her elbow, escaping with minor injuries after the animal knocked her to the ground, a state parks official said today.

The 18 year old hiker then ran off the trail and hid behind a tree, said Jack Kaskey, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

"The bear kept looking for her, standing on its hind legs, grunting and sniffing the air," Mr. Kaskey said. "It circled the area she was hiding in and eventually wandered off."

The woman was attacked about 12:30 p.m. Sunday while she was hiking alone on the Wingdam Trail in Wawayanda State Park in Sussex County, he said.

She ran, but the bear tackled her, and grabbed her right side and left leg with its paws, Mr. Kaskey said. The bear became startled when she struck its nose, allowing her to run and hide until it left the area, he said.

The trail remained closed today and a trap was set in an effort to capture the bear alive.

"My biologists tell me that this was a classic predatory attack," Mr. Kaskey said. "Apparently, it was planning to eat her."

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 12:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    eat her? the bear was going for some good ole ground and pound!

--
    Shut up and Gracie train!

Phrosty finally got my article up, all come and look!
    http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162

Edited by - pizdoff on August 12 2003 12:13:21
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was thinking the same thing, Os...

Now if only we can get a similar story from China, but this time, involving a panda bear.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rising Pheonix, that lead bad dude in the tekken series as a brown bear that fights.

Kungfoolss, Joke of the theory-based stylists, Most laughed at man at Bullshido.com, creator of the Kungfoolss Darwinian Awards that nobody cares for, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena in his own head.
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 3:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK..I'm not an expert or anything, but I've done a fair share of hiking all over the northern Rocky Mountains and in Glacier Park. Both are well stocked with black and grizzly bears, mountain lions (cougars for the city folk), deer, elk..and the list goes on.

Odds are, if the bear "attacked" this girl, it was meant as a warning, NOT to eat her, as the last line of the article says. Bears will wrestle a person to the ground, paw them a bit, sniff and lick (sounds like foreplay almost! lol) and push you around a bit if they don't mean to do you any harm, other than to warn you that "I'm a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than you are, so don't **** with me!"

Elbowing a bear on the nose will NOT deter it if it means to do you harm..trust me on that one.

However..if a bear, black, brown or grizz..decides to have you for lunch, then no amount of punching, kicking or yes, even elbowing it on the nose, is going to stop it. Like a dog attacking, if you fight back or run, it will just go after you that much harder until you stop moving. End of story.

Park policy states that if "attacked" by a bear, your BEST defense (don't run, REAL bad idea!) is (if possible), climb a tree. This isn't always an option because a bear is a hell of a lot faster than you are.

Option #2--fall to the ground and using your arms, try to protect your head as much as possible and curl your body into as tight a ball as you can,...AND SCREAM YOUR HEAD OFF!!!

The vast majority of bear attacks are exactly as the article in question describes. They might push you around a bit, sniff you..maybe even take a small nibble..and then leave. Bears do not like huimans, and don't naturally have a taste for human flesh. Where a bear...ANY bear..is most dangerous, is when you get to near to one and surprise it (make lots of noise when you're hiking), or between a sow and her cubs. THEN they are VERY dangerous!

I personally have never been attacked by a bear. I have, however, come across them about a dozen times or so..both black and grizz. I always carry bear spray with me (guns are not allowed in the park), but I have never had to use it.

I have managed to scare the bear away, or just let it walk away on its own..by yelling and waving my arms.

Anyway, I'd say the girl over-reacted, and that the biologist doesn't know his bear behaviors very well. But then again, maybe New York bears are different than Rocky Mountain bears...could be?

He who dies with the most toys...still DIES!

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    8/12/2003 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rising Pheonix, that lead bad dude in the tekken series as a brown bear that fights.

Kungfoolss, Joke of the theory-based stylists, Most laughed at man at Bullshido.com, creator of the Kungfoolss Darwinian Awards that nobody cares for, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena in his own head.

I know that. I own a copy of the game. The brown bear is a usable character. An alternate character is the panda bear.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2003 12:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say the same thing about whether the bear was planning on eating her. Uh, no.

It almost sounds like a younger bear playing around. An elbow on the nose would do nothing to a bear with any intention of being serious... more like "hey look at that little running thing let's gab it - hehehehe - hey! it bopped my snoot, this ain't fun no more, let's find something else to do".

And the bit about the bear not being able to find a woman hiding close enough (and probably sweating like crazy) to watch the bear circling around? BS, even a cub could have tracked her to behind that tree in about 3 seconds. I'm thinking Winnie the Pooh was just messin' around on a warm summer afternoon and didn't really care either way about his new play-thing.

Good on her for managing to convince a bear to let her get away, but it ain't like she actually fought it off, scared it, and outsmarted it it by hiding. I'm also pretty sure the biologists that were no doubt misquoted by this department spokesman are shaking their heads right now.

(spokesmen are often the people with the least clue in any given department... they just are good at meeting the public)

Titan

Posted On:
    8/13/2003 3:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She was lucky that bear didn't mean business.

And Kuma is not the "lead Bad dude". That's Heihachi. Kuma is his pet.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have the power!" - He-man. The most powerful man in the Universe.
    (Short, sharp and to the point. Redefining the quotations of heros.)
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    8/13/2003 6:26am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, my post is on the front page of bullshido, and people are skeptical about it despite the fact that it was in a respected newspaper! i feel special!

muaythaichick, admit it was you and tell us the real story!

Posted On:
    8/13/2003 8:24am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those were obviously Muay Thai elbows

:)

--
    Shut up and Gracie train!

Phrosty finally got my article up, all come and look!
    http://bullshido.com/article_read.asp?id=162
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast