Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Sure, because getting drunk to the sound of bad music while chasing skanks is a lot healthier than going shooting. Your British is showing. ;)

Lemme save you some time:
    Freud, penis, gun, hur hur hur.
    You think I'm joking? I'm entirely serious. Freud, penis, gun might be right. Whatever the cause the way some people collect weaponary is definately less healthy than chasing some cheap bird in an unconvincing nurses' outfit around the bedroom. Now what would freud have made of this picture?

And I suppose you think these men wearing skirts and falling over at the slighted thrust of a chopper is normal also????

Last but not least, look at the phalic way this guy holds his enormous weapon:
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:23am

Style: Phucking Phrost

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

martial fetishism

speaking as a sword nut here folks, there actually are some organizations in this country that do ccmbat sports centered around Swords Art, for instance, The Western Circle of Swordfighters, not at all live action role players, they even do bouts with blunt steel versons of their respective weapons, and Then theres the occasional rennisance fair with the armoured fighting contests, if you ever seen the movie A Knight's tale with Heath Ledger, you'll know what I mean, now I'm not talking about is the S.C.A, though it is the first step into Historically accurate European Martial Arts for many., those are good folks but
    alittle too focused on the showmanship from my experience.

and not all of us sword freaks are that bad, me personally I like swords because it's just something I've loved since I was a very young kid.

it's inexplainable for me as to why I like them.

but my point is, as out of date as alot of weapon based Martial Arts are there are still those who are willing to strap on some mail shirts , padding, helms, and other armour and duke it out with either waster (eqivalent term in J'S'A is Bokken) or blunt and come out bruised as hell and laughing.

infact one thing sword nuts like myself hate is this fetishing and diefying of the Japanese Katana, you know all those stupid rumors about it can cut rhrough steel, uh Gods, it gets real old trying an educate a noob about how the Katana isn't metalurgical perfection, can't cut into iron with getting damaged, etc

Yeah Katana's nice but it also depends on what era too though since if I remember correctly
    the weight in the Civil War Era of sword is alittle different then say in the Tokugawa period.
    and not to mention it's not like the Armoursmiths of Europe didn't have their own Genius

Misguided style basher

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spathophile
    and not all of us sword freaks are that bad, me personally I like swords because it's just something I've loved since I was a very young kid.

it's inexplainable for me as to why I like them.
    You should at least try to justify your fettish. You love swords???? Since your (troubled without andiquate male role model???) childhood? I jest but please see the irony of you coming here and saying that not all sword nuts are fettishists. I suppose not all velcro fettishists are 'bad' as you put it, so I guess I can give you that point.

Love weapons? Silly thing to love IMO.
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:47am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm, Ninja LARPing = Hamster shagging.

I'll have to mull that one over.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's hard to explain man, I guess it could tie in with my spirituality, since in the faith I belong to the sword is a sign of things like Honor and nobility, values my faith holds quite highly,I also like the craftsmanship on swords since I like to work with my hands myself.

and I see you're point,

but in my mind fetishizing a weapon and having a strong passion for it are two different things.

to me fetishizing a weapon is looling at it and mentally zooming on it's positives and utterly unaware with it's negatives. which I'm, since I know a sword, as good as it is, wouldn't the first weapon I'd use in some battle since a pike or spear would be a better, the sword would be more or less used for the last part when the lance or pike or spear had gotten broken or maybe it fell out of my hands or something like that.

but the sword has been symbolic of quite a few things in different cultures, one I've come across in all my readings is that it always occupies a significant position in a culture's native symbolism, so hey I guess all these could factor in, or maybe it's just boyhood thing I never really grew out of, I can't say, because they do all seem to factor in, but none of them explain it more then the others, which is why I say it's hard to explain, but I'm not a wannabe connan the Barbarian either though, I don't fantasize about going on some quest, I genuinely like the diversity or sword arts, designs, materials, etc

but I don't fantasize about the dark ages or any other time,either, one of my worst fears is to be hamstrung and in an environment like that where I would more likely then not be to poor to buy decent lower leg armour is not somewhere I'd like to find myself.

I like living in 2007 where all most sword enthusiasts like myself would rather combat sport versions of it. like the western circle

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 2:07am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like guns cause they're loud and make **** explode and I like swords because fencing is fun :)

I think a lot of people take up exotic arts because they want to feel in the know about something out there, or like someone said they believe that the more out there a martial art is the better it is.

Then again, I don't really see why an interest in an exotic art is a bad thing as long as one is realistic about it. Some would call the fact that I study swordsmanship "out there" but I don't really see it as all that big a deal. It's simply an interest in history coupled with an interest in martial arts in general coupled with I like to hit people with sword simulators.

PS: When I used to fence a lot my forearms got pretty jacked.

Last edited by Anna Kovacs; 2/21/2007 2:14am at .

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 2:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A woman after my own heart, swords and guns:new_Llol:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 3:05am

Style: Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    those are some pretty tank forearms.

I wonder how one of those japanese swords with the weights in them would go.

I hate the forearm training where you have a bit of wood that you grip n twist n change n grip n twist n change to move a weight up n down a rope.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fetishism originally referred to the attribution of magical or supernatural properties to objects. For example, a stone wasn't just a stone, it was the Sp1r1tz of the Anc3st0rs. Dr. Marx used it in the same way when he spoke of 'commodity fetishism': the attribution of various magical qualities to property (and the obscuring of their social conditions). Only later did it come to mean whips, leather and so on.

I think this is a helpful way to approach some aspects of the martial arts. Objects (e.g. swords) and people (e.g. Gr34t M4sters) are accorded all sorts of properties that don't actually exist. They're literally idolised, obscuring their actual existence, and the social relations that produce them (e.g. cult-like schools where you find hierarchies, brainwashing, exploitation).

One of the most obvious forms of fetishism is chi: the attribution of a force to particular objects or people, regardless of how scant the evidence for it. People 'feel' in the presence of power, energy, intensity, but it's in them, not in the fist, foot or elbow of the M4ster.

As for Phrost's Pseudo-Darwinianism - meh.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 3:20am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A fetish is the oversexualization of a non-sexual concept - it's the attachment of an unneccesary element to the sex drive

certain martial arts involve the attchment of un-needed elements of otherness, just as certain fetishes.

I'm actually reasonable certain there's really only one fetish: The transformitive fetish. The desire to be OTHER then what you are. Transexuality, the various furversions, body modification, these are physical - BDSM is emotional, a change in social role.

Perhaps the martial artist in some cases has a manifestation of this - a desire to be a more dangerous person?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast