Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:14pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, JohnnyFive answered the statistical portion very neatly, and I think we agree on a number of things. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    As I said before, if that is ALL that can be learned in your particular field of MA, then find a new one. My MA training has improved my job performance, increased my level of self confidence, and correspondingly, increased my income dramatically. Were these things possible without MA? Probably. But that doesn't invalidate it as a field of study. MA training is a physical metaphor. It can assist you to win at every other competitve aspect of life as well. Is that such a difficult concept?
    You're making a slightly tenuous competitive association here - being competitive in one sphere helps you be competitive in all - that I actually tend to believe myself. Nonetheless, I'd assert that the sphere doesn't matter so much in most cases, making fighting no superior as a pastime IMO to tennis or hockey.

As an avid lifelong games-player, I'd also that suggest games like chess, poker and Diplomacy have a much more useful cross-over into the working world, training attributes more closely related to the competitions we tend to find ourselves in daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    The difference between us is that you think these things are not important. I would submit that they are essential to human nature. Part of any society is the establishment of hierarchy. Physical dominance is the most base level, agreed. It's not pretty, sure. But it IS real, and it IS prevalent is ALL strata of society, whether you choose to see it or not. Perhaps one day, we will have risen above our baser natures, but today is not that day. If it is unimportant, then why are sports stadiums filled to capacity around the world? Why do fans overreact at their teams victories or defeats by burning cars, and tearing down stadiums? It IS important to many, many people. Just not you.
    Again, doesn't the relatively greater popularity of non-fighting sports suggest to you that we've moved beyond principally considering that most simple level of physical dominance that we're speaking of? It's hard to attribute fighting a special place as a pastime without considering why most people don't give it that place in their lives.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:28pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So where would that chick who tries to be a ninja turtle fit in. Is what she's doing considered some kind of fetishism? More importantly, is what she's doing nothing more than healthy fun or is it due to some major portion of her life being fucked up. Maybe this doesn't fit into this discussion, but I watched that video recently and there seem to be a lot of varying opinions on what she is doing. Just wanted to see what you guys think.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Hedgehogey needs a hug. I nominate Fagbot to give him one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 11:58am

Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    -Yawn-

STILL laying down the whipsong?

I worked an unanticipated night shift; sorry to deprive all you fine folks of my rare wit and discernment, to say nothing of the large bullseye on my back . . . .

Keep beating that ol' ded pony, leetle feller, I'll be back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Which means precisely nothing, as you well know;
    Yes,

We're talking about general cases here
    well

You're still not looking at the numbers, are you?
    this

The insurance company I just linked claims
    is

You're trying to sound like you know more than ****-all about statistics.
    all

you crazy old galoot.
    very

I think working in the prison system is warping your mind.
    interesting,

Let's look at the murder rate again, shall we?
    but

It's quite hard to justify proper training in a martial art as "safer"
    I'd

We break bones, tear muscles and ligaments, take dangerous blows to the head -

Well, gee, I'd better train more, hadn't I?
    to

And now we're off into deep Phil Elmore territory
    just

was I the one suggesting that doing martial arts for self-defence was often linked with paranoid thinking, or were you?
    ask

you're a nutter,
    you

that does make you probability's bitch.
    one

I woke up to the bright and beautiful reality
    question:

Do you believe you can catch bullets with your chi?

You list, in your fields, the relatively macho and, yes, allegedly "reality-based" martial
    arts judo and BJJ. Are we to understand, that you do not in fact practice these any more? And if you do continue to practice at them, then why would you?

Oh, no. I thought I covered that in the last section under fighting for fun and fitness. My three categories were roughly meant to be people who went around afraid of their shadows and thought MA would help, people who felt they needed to be able to fight to provide them with some sort of alpha status, and people who did it purely as an enjoyable recreation.

The thing is that if you treat it just as an enjoyable pastime, then it's hard to argue that it's a superior enjoyable pastime to arts without fighting pretensions - it's just one that suits you better.

Posted On:
    2/25/2007 7:18pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by metarat
    You list, in your fields, the relatively macho and, yes, allegedly "reality-based" martial arts judo and BJJ. Are we to understand, that you do not in fact practice these any more? And if you do continue to practice at them, then why would you?
    For fun, you silly sausage. I genuinely enjoy it. Learning to fight is a very nice bonus for the less mature side of my psyche, but I'd have to be a very scared or insecure fellow to train five times a week in something I hated. I like the endorphins, I like what training does to my body and to the way I move, I like the constant experimentation as I try to improve my game, I like the people I train with.

Your profile lists taijiquan. This is not widely thought of as the first choice of the would-be asskicker seeking self-defence. Would it be crazy of me to speculate that your main reason for training might also be more closely related to enjoyment than fear of aggressive panhandlers?

Office Drone

Posted On:
    2/26/2007 6:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be fair, some fetishism is merely an extension of 'regular' society. Referring to bondage/BDSM as 'fetishism' in western society is a questionable position when you really think about it.

PS: EMA sux (Eastern martial arts)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2007 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For fun, . . . I genuinely enjoy it.
    Hmmm, so you LARP about the dojo, enjoying yourself and occasionally engaging your mates in a bit of stimulating conversation about the ultimate futility of MA training for defense, and perhaps try to sell them a course in your Driving School? Nice.

I do Taijiquan because it is the ultimate de4dly fighting art, of course! Also it soothes my notoriously violent temper, reducing or preventing assaults on LARPs, Psychotic Transients, Scottish Statisticians, Clowns and the like.

And-- "silly sausage" ?!? Oh no, don't go all tender on me now!
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910