Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bit of a tangent, but it's related to this question ...

Albeit tongue-in-cheek, my sister said this when she was answering an offhand question my wife had about my wife carrying around her roll of monstrous kitchen knives:

"If you've already reached the point where the cops are rifling through your bag, you've got bigger problems brewing than anything they might find could cause." -- Jacqueline Kagan, A.D.A., Brooklyn, NY, Crimes Against Children Division.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kobudo
    I would recognize it as such, but only because prior to beginning my public safety career, I was a college student with an interest in such things.

I think other interesting questions would be 1. How effective is a flint tool compared to its steel counterpart, and 2. How many "undesirables" would be inclined to make such a tool (or have the resources to learn or even know where to find the resources to learn how to) for the purpose of committing a crime?

1. Sharper then most knife steel and strong enough for at least one use. Obsidian or flint **** can be VERY sharp - at least as useful as the **** people make in prison.

2. It's pretty hard to do if you don't know how, but I suppose if the idea hit you, you could figure it out with the internet and a weekend or three.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 2/20/2007 11:00pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume at least some of you troglodytes have read Snowcrash.

THe (2nd) Baddest Mutherfucker in the World carried knives made of glass.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 11:56pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kobudo
    I would recognize it as such, but only because prior to beginning my public safety career, I was a college student with an interest in such things.

I think other interesting questions would be 1. How effective is a flint tool compared to its steel counterpart, and 2. How many "undesirables" would be inclined to make such a tool (or have the resources to learn or even know where to find the resources to learn how to) for the purpose of committing a crime?

I apologize for getting away from the OP's question, but:

1. Obsidian is used in cardiac surgery, as well-crafted obsidian blades have a cutting edge up to five times sharper than high-quality steel surgical scalpels, with the edge of the blade reaching veritable molecular thinness. It produces a cleaner cut and less tissue trauma, which translates to faster healing and less scar tissue from - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian

Just like the knives and harpoons in Snow Crash, sharp as a molecule.

2. I had read a short piece on flintknapping in issue 01 of Make magazine and wanted to check it out. It took me a quick Google to find "From Beer Bottle to Arrowhead" http://www.geocities.com/knappersanonymous/bottle.html I used a bit of copper pipe left over from a faucet repair and a piece of glass from an old, broken window. Within an hour, or two at most, I had a scary sharp blade type item. It was UGLY, but crudely arrow shaped.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 12:03pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very true about the "type" of person carrying it and thier appearance.

funny photos, very true point. I don't "look like a criminal" or someone a police officer would "profile" or stop. truth is they probably wouldn't even give me a second glance unless I was doing something I visibly shouldn't.

I would imagine a resourcefull enough criminal looking to harm/kill someone (or one that somehow just read this topic) would figure this out and get it through a metal detector- however as mentioned with "glass" there are easier items to find to get it through.

Truth is I just thought of this because I have an interest in and have studied (in college) hominids and continue to read new info on discoveries, digs and finds.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 7:51am

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been thinking about this question a bit, and really, how would anyone know you had it (in normal settings) unless you're carrying it in the open? I wouldn't recommend taking it through airport security, but I guess you'd be ok walking into a commercial center like a mall or something.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 2:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combat Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kein Haar
    The point of this inquiry is kind of slippery, if you ask me.
    Yep,,,

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer your question, Bluto - it depends on a number of issues. In Florida, a person without a concealed weapons permit can carry a "common pocketknife" because it is not considered a "weapon." The circumstance of the contact also matters, as does his explanation, the location of the knife (carrying case, pocket, or sock, for example). My initial reaction, based on your example, is to warn the gent that his stone knife could potentially be considered a weapon and he should carry it as such. If he does his pressure flaking at the park, for instance, put it in a carrying case while in transit.

Of course, I might have a little more exposure that some LEOs because my wife is an archaeologist.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 3:46pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow!

A LEO with an archaeologist for a wife. OnceLost wins, as if this thread and question was custom made for him.

Here's looking at you, squid.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Ke?po, MMA ultra-newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Former LEO, actually, but thank you, sir.
    "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
    - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast