Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:39pm

Style: Mostly drinking. E-chaun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question to Law Enforcement officers about knife carrying.

Ok, not the usual knife.

What if you pulled over or randomly found on a person- who was not acting aggressive or violent towards you or anyone else, or didn't seem to be engaged in criminal behavior (but it was a legit terry stop) and you found a flint knife on them?

Basically this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flintstone_knife.jpg

would you believe, as it is a "stone" knife- that the person had it simply because they were a fan of creating stone tools and into anthropology and liked to "pressure flake" like many people whittle wood.

Or would you be more likely to accept a utility knife?

I'm curious because such a knife can avoid detection by metal detectors, however I'm not talking that you find it on someone in a place where there aren't supposed to be any weapons (club, airport, etc.).

I'm just curious what a reaction would be from a law enforcement officer upon seeing it provided the person did actually seem to have a bit of knowledge about the history of pressure flaking and the science and periods of hominids that used it?

EDIT:
    more on pressure flaking (flecking)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_flaking

http://knapper_dan.tripod.com/articl...eningstudy.htm

http://www.uwlax.edu/mvac/Research/technologies.htm
    Last edited by Bluto Blutarsky; 2/20/2007 5:41pm at . Reason: add additional sites

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point of this inquiry is kind of slippery, if you ask me.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's consider a perhaps troubling idea:

How many trained law enforcement/security personnel would even recognize this as a potential weapon when they were staring straight at it?

Good personnel recognize keys, shoe laces, etc can be halfway decent potential weapons. But this? Phft, it's just a pet rock.

:smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:17pm

Style: not training currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps you could work the art angle?

Here are some examples of flintknapping taken to a high artistic level: http://www.errettcallahan.com/knives.htm

How the item was carried may also have a huge impact on a LEO. In a display case like a relic or piece of art could go unnoticed, but in an ankle sheath or ninja costume... not so much.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 9:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would you do if you were a parole officer and you found one of your subjects on the street and you decided to do a quick search and you found that in his pocket? Would you consider it carrying a concealed weapon or having a weapon under disability? Let's say your parolee is out on a violent offense.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr_Mantis has teh interesting. If you find it on someone that looks like a geeky college professor, furry or unwashed hippy art student, it is one thing. If you find it on someone that's on parole, that's quite another situation. To illustrate this serious topic with some comedy...

It is one thing to find that flint point on him....

... or him...

It is quite another if you find that **** on him...

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theoretically you'd just carry an obsidian core and a soft hammer to make flakes on the spot, so you'd never actually be carrying a blade. Late Paleolithic FTW!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:34pm

Style: Mixed grappling & fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    How many trained law enforcement/security personnel would even recognize this as a potential weapon when they were staring straight at it?
    I would recognize it as such, but only because prior to beginning my public safety career, I was a college student with an interest in such things.

I think other interesting questions would be 1. How effective is a flint tool compared to its steel counterpart, and 2. How many "undesirables" would be inclined to make such a tool (or have the resources to learn or even know where to find the resources to learn how to) for the purpose of committing a crime?

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:39pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I didn't know you were a trekkie El Macho.:laughing1 Either way, I think his views were probably right on. It would all depend on the person carrying it.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a man of infinite dimensions :new_llyin
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast