Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 3:03pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chi gerk are not foot sweeps. These are sensitivity drills for setting up techniques.

chi gerk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VJAhrVkoOM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJffM0jV7XM

foot sweeps:
    http://www.judoinfo.com/video8.htm

look up deashi harai, tsurikomi ashi, hiza guruma.

I haven't seen chi gerk practiced in the same extent as it is practiced in WT in other arts (chinese or not). And like with chi sau, the drill does not readily translate to the target activity.

Tomas
    Last edited by Tomas Drgon; 2/20/2007 3:06pm at .

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Chi gerk are not foot sweeps. These are sensitivity drills for setting up techniques.

Absolutely correct. I'm not sure if you were addressing this to me or the tonneau covered zebra man. But, if you re-read what I wrote, you'll see we agree. If my words imply otherwise, I'm a dipshit writing too ambiguously. (And if they don't imply that and you read them as I intended, then I'm a dipshit for reasons other than my posts in this thread.)

Still ... I'm not a 'WT' guy, but I have played around with both my other 'ChiGerk' classmates and also with a few decent Judoka in figuring out the mechanics of foot sweeping from here. I've personally found it's only the mechanics of the actual sweep that is missing.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/20/2007 3:14pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tomas, thanx for the reply with videos (which I was lazy to find). Makes it easier to see what we are talking about.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:20pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone have the Chinese characters for Chi Gerk? I'm guessing that is Cantonese, but it is not a term I have heard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:49pm

Style: Mongolian

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Greetings,
    I have pretty little information about most CMA's, so help me out please...

Is there anything like the Wing tsun Chi gerk ("sticking feet" - like Chi sau, only, naturally without the Poon sau-like rolling...) in other Chinese systems?

In other words: training for the sensitivity of feet/legs, so that they can react from feet to feet contact quickly...
    I don't know what Chi gerk is but I've seen sticky feet/stick legs from Southern Praying Mantis and Chang Tien Temple Tiger Claw (Tibetan). A guy that practices Choi-ka/Fong-ka showed me some of it as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's an online chi gerk training manual (or an intro to a DVD you can buy):
    http://www.awcaonline.com/forms/chigerk.html

and here: http://www.wingchunonline.com/Wing_C..._Sao_Gerk.html

And here's a writeup on chi gerk with all the blocks, kicks and actions.

http://www.wingchun.com/SecretWingChunLegManeuvers.htm

Tomas

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is Cantonese. Unfortunately, due to the fact that soooooooooo much in the 'nun-who-must-not-be-named' style community is FUBAR, you won't get agreement on the specific characters used, either.

This is what I learned. Keep in mind I don't speak or read Cantonese with any semblance of fluency. I've also lost a bit of interest in getting it completely nailed down perfectly since my ... uh, Cantonese tutor ... up and died on me. So, I might be wrong here:

Chi (chi1) = to stick.
    Gerk (Geuk3) = foot/leg/foundation.

Edit: Damn, that's hard to read at that size. Let me up it a little ...
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 2/20/2007 6:00pm at .

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    ATTN TOM KAGAN

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, like with chisau, I feel that the chi gerk drill has a problem, and that problem is that it drills a VERY volatile range. And just like with chisau, it is being overdrilled. Most chi gerk you'll see in _ing _un schools these days will look like this: two people holding hands and hopping on one leg while trying to "stick" with the other leg:

(While this is not inherently wrong, it is a highly stylized way of doing the drill.)

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:43pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .... that photo is actually inherently wrong... the posture of the guy on the right would help him fall straight over. Our prctise whice involves one similar drill to this photo is vastly different. the drill that is similar to that photo is actually to develop leg strength through resistive motion. it is but a small part. The leg sensitivity we use is to develop and understanding of movement and how to trap that movement. this leads to trips and sweeps and various unbalancing techniques....

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 6:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomas Drgon
    Here's an online chi gerk training manual (or an intro to a DVD you can buy):
    http://www.awcaonline.com/forms/chigerk.html
    Decent find.

I was taught four variations of the drill. Additionally, I was shown all four variations in a way where it could be worked in a 100% non-compliant manner w/o too much risk to each other (not going to use the 'a' word; wouldn't be prudent)..

I haven't seen the whole DVD, just the clips put up there. I have no idea whether that DVD shows all of what I was taught. However, to me, only the first clip is relevant to ChiGerk.

ATTN TOM KAGAN
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast