Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 8:29am

Style: submission grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another way to handle a jabber is to jab first and jab often. Eddie Futch trained Ken Norton in his win over Ali to jab every time he even thought Ali was going to jab. Didn't have to land just keep him from setting up his game.

You can also use the jab to close distance with someone taller. Follow your jab in, be sure to move your head otherwise they may be able to time your attack and nail you with a right cross.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 2:10pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Leg kick, Leg kick, Leg kick!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qSiE9Ed8jW4

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien
    Leg kick, Leg kick, Leg kick!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qSiE9Ed8jW4
    I know this may come as a shock, but leg kicks aren't generally allowed in boxing.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 2:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I know this may come as a shock, but leg kicks aren't generally allowed in boxing.
    Yeah, but thats what makes them so effective!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 2:56pm

Style: The Sweet Science

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's got a reach advantage than you might have to step in as you catch it on your glove so that you'll be in range to throw a shot back... other than that I don't have much to add to what's been said.

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muy Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of what i am reading seems to be great advice. Another technique is if he is consitently weaving to one side.., as u specified he was moving to his right..., observe the movement through your jab like any earlier post says..., often not allowing him to set up his gp.., but as u observe this movement time it up and through behind where his head is.., u will find if done right it will meet where his head is going to be when he moves.., i have seen it used quite a bit in the pro ranks of boxing..,

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:37am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I swear we're gonna make videos covering this kind of crap sooner or later.
    Looking forward to it!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:46am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TheCoach,
    You might want to check out the crazy monkey defense. It's helped me tremendously to be comfortable with boxing. The traditional boxing defenses like parries, catch, bob&weave etc. take a long time to learn.

From what I've experienced, the result of new people trying to do it (traditional boxing defense) during sparring almost always leads to them leaning their heads back and then flailing wildly because they get hit so often. With the CM defense, you get up to speed much faster if you drill it properly. I'd say 2-3 months and you'll be quite comfortable. In the meantime, also work on the traditional stuff so you're building up your attributes.

I pretty much suck at boxing myself, but the general rule is to use the same hand to counter what you just received. E.g. return a left jab for a left jab. A tip that I've found useful is, once you feel the punch hit your glove or forearem, fire off. We do a drill on this, where there is an attacker, and a counter-attacker. The attacker throws straight punches (jab or cross), and the defender blocks and immediately returns. After you get good at this, throw in hooks and uppercuts. Then the attacker gets to throw combos.

Great thread, looking forward to learning more good stuff.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 9:01am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PPlate
    TheCoach,
    I pretty much suck at boxing myself, but the general rule is to use the same hand to counter what you just received. E.g. return a left jab for a left jab. A tip that I've found useful is, once you feel the punch hit your glove or forearem, fire off. We do a drill on this, where there is an attacker, and a counter-attacker. The attacker throws straight punches (jab or cross), and the defender blocks and immediately returns. After you get good at this, throw in hooks and uppercuts. Then the attacker gets to throw combos.
    yeah this is something i try and drill into newbs, and try to do as much as i can myself. good thing about being a southpaw is that for their jab i return a cross, for their straight right i return a lead hook. ive seen some awesome KOs off this, like masato vs Kraus in... i think 04? 03? something like that. knocked the stuffing oit of him. zambidis is also awesome at this

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 10:29am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to box from the inside so I tend to throw some jabs as a smoke screen and bob and weave my way in shovel hook and uppercut range. I also like to fight out of a crouch with a peek-a-boo guard. I usually take a few on the way in but most of the time they are off the gloves or the forehead.

BTW, this is not kickboxing, I know I would be eating knees on the way in.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast